z

Young Writers Society

The OA

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:40 pm
Lumi says...

Today, we're gonna sit around the couch and yap about my most recent favorite writers: Brit Marling and Zal Batmangilj, and more importantly, the fruit of their cowriting and almost techno-spiritual muse: The OA.

This discussion will contain spoilers beyond this paragraph. If you wish to go into The OA with a completely fresh mind, thank you for coming by, but please click away now. <3

With that warning out of the way, I think a good place to start is the aspect of unreliable narration, and how effectively Marling and Batmangilj execute this without ripping their plot apart at the same time. There's a form of integrity to be admired, I believe, in the literary references littered through OA's story--even as a child in Russia. The conversation on the bus gave us a massive foreshadow onto events peppered throughout the story. One could argue that the strongest literary reference--or that which is most on the nose--is Homer wanting to return to his son and (not) wife, a straight line to Odysseus. But that's still a disconnect, isn't it? An unreliability?

A review credited Marling's style of storytelling unreliably as her innate talent that's really watermarked her career, and I have to agree that it's a defining characteristic, but I wouldn't say that's what makes The OA The OA.

I mean, obviously it's the paranormal sci-fi intersection, right? If I'm totally honest, I couldn't bring myself to hold a villain-grudge against Hap because he was doing such remarkable work. Yes, his methods were vile and inhumane, but knowing that it was fiction, I was completely enthralled in his fascination. I can't remember the last time that's happened to me in a viewing experience, especially with the narration being so entirely biased.

I really hope this one gets bites.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 pm
Lumi says...

I juuuuust found out that it's greenlit for season 2. I'm unsure how I feel about this because I want it to be able to be self-contained in all that it is, but I also relish the chance to see the continuation of the story (less so if they cheese the interdimensional amnesia.)
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451