z

Young Writers Society

To Catch an Heiress by Julia Quinn

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sun May 22, 2016 3:42 pm
Lightsong says...

To Catch an Heiress is a novel written by Julia Quinn. It revolved around Caroline Trent, an heiress who ran away from her guardian to escape a devastating future, only to be caught by Blake Ravenscroft, a secret agent of the War Office who mistook her as Carlotta De Leon, a Spanish Spy.

I was entirely hooked by this novel when I first read the introduction. Caroline was set up quickly as someone witty, and her scene with Percy Prewitt showed her best traits - determined, smart, and funny. The intensity of the scene was what I looked forward in future events, because having thrown in moments in which life and death were at stake was exhilarating. But after reading this novel to the end, her scene with Percy was arguably the strongest in the entirety.

And then Blake Ravenscroft caught her, and he imprisoned her in one of his house room. Their scenes together were interesting too, what with Caroline trying her best not to give Blake what he wanted (from a "spy") by forcing herself to be mute, and concealing her penmanship by using her wrong hand. Blake's frustration was funny to read, and I could see a chemistry between them.

Romance ensued, romance ensued, kissing, kissing, then sex. I didn't know. Too much focus in the romance department made me think the author couldn't shed a light on other things - like expand more Caroline's relationship with the people in the house, the maid, the butler, etc. She longed to have people who genuinely liked her, so these interactions were important and interesting to explore. Instead, the focus was on her banter with Blake.

And Blake, at times, were frustrating. I was sure there must be a reason for him to be... quite dislikeable like this, but being one of the main characters, he should be made likeable. Instead, I found him tense and serious all the time, not to mention it was frustrating to know his issue dragged on and on... for years.

Side characters like James and Penelope were great additions. They were the closest to Blake, and had been with him when he went through the most horrible moments in his life. Their characters were nicely shaped, and I liked how they didn't stop helping him to get past his dilemma. All their words were logical, and again, it frustrated me how Blake could be so stubborn as to not realize something that was obvious.

At the very least, the ending part shifted the attention to something that was as equally important as mending Blake's broken heart because of his past. I liked how Caroline went through the dire experience despite being a damsel in distress. I just hoped there were more layers in this story rather than romantic love.

A/N: Discussion is allowed in regards to this review and the mentioned novel.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:11 am
megsug says...

Sometimes when I need to read pure fluffiness, I'll crack open a Quinn novel, but you're totally right. She doesn't have too many dimensions.
Test

I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath