z

Young Writers Society

Far From the Madding Crowd~Thomas Hardy

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:16 pm
last mohican says...

If you are a fan of good English Lit, then this is a book you have to read.
Far From the Madding Crowd takes place in fictional Wessex, England. The main characters are the beautiful, stubborn, Bathsheba Everdene and kind, gentle, Gabriel Oak. Bathsheba is a rarity, a woman farmer, who catches the eye of Gabriel, a local shepard.
Thomas Hardy paints a convincing picture of the common people living day to day in the English countryside. Read it and enjoy.

27 Reviews

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:08 pm
last mohican says...

Another Thomas Hardy novel and a good read. I'd read Far From the Madding Crowd first though because this book is tragic. I just finished it. It's sad, but very very good.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:14 am
stilltyping says...

I love this book. I'm a huge Thomas Hardy fan, and this is my favorite written by him. I did a book report on it last year. Gabriel Oak is simple but memorable.
///thanks.

27 Reviews

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:41 pm
last mohican says...

Definetly! Have you read his other books as well?
"...I have conclusively determined that you are not Hamlet, Scout Finch, Frankenstine's monster, Ms. Marple, or a golum. Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golum?"~Dustin Hoffman

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:55 pm
stilltyping says...

Let's see...I've read Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Jude the Obscure, The return of the Native, and The Mayor of Casterbridge, as well as some of his poetry. I've basically covered all the more popular works, but I would like to read the rest of his novels (If I could just find them!)
///thanks.

27 Reviews

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:14 pm
last mohican says...

I've seen the rest of his books at Borders :evil: But you could probably special order them from any bookstore.
"...I have conclusively determined that you are not Hamlet, Scout Finch, Frankenstine's monster, Ms. Marple, or a golum. Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golum?"~Dustin Hoffman

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour