z

Young Writers Society

Talyn - Holly Lisle

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:29 am
Swires says...

Well, after waiting two weeks fo Amazon UK to get the book to me I thought I would have a peek at the first chapter on opened the parcel. I read the first page, and then I read the next, and the next, and the next. I was hooked onto the book and I read the first 4 chapters before putting the book down (I had to eat).

The Book opens with the main character and her friend, travelling through a normal street in the fantasy world of Hyre. We get to know about the setting and the world where Talyn lives, plus the culture of the Ancient race of Tonk. After than the plot steadily unfolds and Holly tempts us further into the book.

We learn of the base conflict, two warring nations, desperate to win a war that had gone on for three centuries. The Eastil and Tonk fight wars of Magic and Magery, not of sword so it is not surprising that the war flows out of Hyre and into the rest of the world. The mysterious Feegash come from afar and try to make peace, but Holly toys with us by insinuating that the Feegash have their own insidious agendas.

The book progresses. The plot unfolds and I found myself positively gripped onto every word Holly Lisle had written. The character driven plot is a masterpiece if Talyn was music it would be composed by Mozart.

Talyn, our main character is an absolute star, her voice through the first person, is exquisite and her soul is pure yet believable.

Our villain is a real villain - I don’t want to spoil.

All in all this book is my favourite amongst my library of 500 books, I haven’t read such a compelling, thematic and characterised piece of fiction in my life and what’s more, I refresh Holly’s website everyday in hope of a sequel.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:49 am
Firestarter says...

I got it out from the library, and it's a great book. The switch between third person and first person (which somehow you don't mention ...?) was exquisite.

But yeah, it's awesome.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:20 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

No I dont, but yes the switch was masterful
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

It's a pity the dictionary has only one definition of beauty. In my world, there are 7.9 billion types of it- all different and still beautiful.
— anne27