z

Young Writers Society

Suicide Attempt #19

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:48 pm
MasterGrieves says...

I have attempted suicide.

If you knew me, and if I told you, you would know this. To be precise, too many times to count. Even if it is just looking out of a balcony thinking about it I consider it an attempt- because you are CONSIDERING jumping off. But it was this time that made me change. After about 18 attempts (although 4 of them were serious) I felt the time was right.

I had to plan first. You can't just say, "I'm done" and then don't do it because you can't think of how to top yourself.

You can't jump off a building, because there is a small chance you will survive. Even if small, you still can. And besides you are still alive for a few seconds afterwards.

Hang myself? Well, a few problems:

A) I don't have a rope;
B) Your neck has to be straight or you will end up in the hospital rather than in limbo;
C) It's always a bugger thinking about who will tie you down.

Every form of suicide has one thing that will be an annoyance. For me, my final suicide attempt was me slitting my wrists in a bathroom. I wrote a suicide note, but I didn't want it to be sloppy and optimistic. I kinda knew that I wasn't actually going to die but in the rare occasion that I did, I wanted to go out in some sort of style. No "I'll see you again" or anything. So I wrote the first thing that came to my head, which was rather blunt.

"I'm dead. You'll be dead. That man in Brazil is dead. That woman in Soho is dying. For every child that's born 80,000 of them die. 99% of all non smokers die, unless of course you are an imaginary symbol of religion. You're going to hell. Maybe I'll meet you there. Live with it."

Yes, very blunt for a general metaphorical personality as myself. But nonetheless I needed to say something. It'd be very un-British of me to just die. Even if it does come across as stupid to whom ever decides to reads this article, I had no choice. It was either die without anything to talk about at my funeral or keep it if I ever survived the attempt.

So, note on sink. Tap water running. Jump into the bath very cold. The combination of the freeze of the bath and the blood from the knife was (in an ideal way) supposed to work well together. The bath was so cold though, I had to put hot water in to make it at least resemble a bath in England, not some atmospheric stuff in the Arctic.

I forgot the knife downstairs! Dang! If I go downstairs, mother gets suspicious! So what to do, eh? Ah! Scissors! If very blunt and- frankly- harmless scissors. Still, it could work if I press down hard enough. It would only pierce a little bit of my skin. At most, my skin would itch a little.

So yeah, I am an epic failure of a suicide attempter. I now realise it was no point ever trying again because it wouldn't work. Besides, this wasn't my worst attempt. A year before, I actually slashed my wrists. I had to be hospitalised both mentally and physically. I had a scar on my wounds, but also one in my brain.

After suicide attempt #19, I realised it was time to stop. No suicide attempt #20 coming any time soon. My girlfriend, mother and- strangely enough- father are too important for me to give up. My band wouldn't like it either...but that was two years ago.

Don't be taking my advice, now. I am not a very reliable person anyway.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:11 pm
hopeispeace says...

Warning; the following is total fluff; seriously, though, this kind of writing has potential if you ask me. You manage to keep a casual voice about a topic that usually has a serious voice, and that takes skill. I was kindof hoping for maybe a little bit more back story, though, like a reason for this guy just deciding he's tired of living. But I think it would also be good if there was just no back story at all, and it's just him saying about how he just woke up one day and was like, yeah, life is pointless. Anyway, I think you should maybe rap up this piece, cause the ending is a little bit of a loose end, and i think you should give all out prose a shot. Like, write a novel or short story. Well good luck, keep writing.
~HopeisPeace

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:17 pm
Mikko says...

I'm guessing this is a blog post? If so...

Well, so failure is good sometimes then. I thought your suicide attempt days were over a long time ago? Why try again?

Actually I think it's something psychological: once you've started, you can't stop. It's not that you want to do it, it's just that you ask yourself what will happen this/next time. Curiousity kills. You never know which one of those attempts could have killed you. Thank goodness they didn't and that you're alive.

You're right, you have people who care for you, even if they don't show it all the time. You might say "But it's not their life!" However know that you're part of their life so yeah, it is in some way their life too.

Anyway, look at me here talking! ;D On a side note, I like the little lighter side of this.

Keep writing and most importantly, keep living, Adam. <3
when she needs to shelter from reality she takes a dip in my daydreams

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 pm
MasterGrieves says...

Mikko wrote: I thought your suicide attempt days were over a long time ago? Why try again?

Actually that attempt was two years ago. I have not since attempted nor have I even considered it ever again. Thanks for your comment though. I appreciate it.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

It doesn’t smell old, it just smells like a bad idea.
— James Hoffman