z

Young Writers Society

Isis- The Egyptian Goddess- A one page paper

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:14 pm
LadySpark says...

For mythology class, I had to write a one page paper about a chosen god or goddess. I, of course chose Isis. ;)

The Egyptian Goddess-
~.~ Isis ~.~

In ancient Egyptian mythology, Isis is seen as a woman wearing vulture headdress, or at other times wearing a double crown with the feather of Ma’at. And sometimes even a pair of ram’s horns. Her symbols include the throne, the kite, the scorpion, the sistrum, and her special knot of Isis (tiet).
She was the sister of Osiris, Nephthys, and Seth, daughter of Nut and Geb, mother of Horus, and wife of Osiris.

Isis was an amazing sorceress, and queen. She created the first cobra, whose venomous bite convinced Re to tell her his secret name, which ended his reign.

It is said that she foresaw her husband’s murder years before it occurred, and tried to protect him as much as she could. When he was killed, she cried so much she created the Nile, which to this day flows through Egypt. She searched endlessly for Osiris, whom after being murdered by his brother Seth had been concealed in a tree, inside of a chest. She asked all she met if they had seen Seth or the coffin, but not until she asked the children playing by the river did she find Osiris. She pulled him from the tree and coffin, and instantly began to search his body for life, but Seth’s dogs and wild boars were already hot on her trail, and Seth split Osiris’s body into fourteen pieces and threw them down the Nile as crocodile food. To prevent Isis from attempting to resurrect Osiris again.
Now Isis began to search once more, but this time her sister, Nephthys, who had left her husband Seth and Anubis, the son of Osiris and Nephthys, helped her. As they searched for Osiris’s body, Seven Scorpions guarded them. The crocodiles, knowing that the body of Osiris was that of a god, left them alone, for they loved Isis, And hated Seth.
Piece by piece Isis recovered her husband’s split body and soul. Only one piece of his body she never recovered, that was eaten by fish that were cursed afterwards. She used her magic to put his body back together, and took him to the priests to be embalmed and so that a funeralcould be performed. After he was mummified, she spread the rumors of eighteen different places in which it was thought Osiris had been buried, and then hid his body in a place only she knew. Then his spirit flew off to Amenti and he ruled over the dead, biding his time until Horus could slay Seth and he could rise to live once more.

Isis, as the mother of Horus was the practically one of the only links between the gods and the humans. Horus was said to inhabit every king, and so was the godly king, and Isis wasconsidered the true mother of all pharaohs. She was thought of as the mother to all creatures. Many queens and lady-pharaohs claimed to be inhabited by Isis, and be leading by her godly rule. Cleopatra is the most famous of these queens, being said to dress like a goddess, and practice magic in Isis’ name.
She is often compared to the Greek goddess’ Persephone (goddess of springtime) and Athena (goddess of war). She is even compared in Christian beliefs to the Virgin Mary.
Isis was a very influential goddess, smart as well as beautiful. She had the power of magic and beauty, and the knowledge of Thoth. She is regarded; still, to be a beauty of the ages.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 pm
View Likes
AlfonsoFernandez says...

That was very good, I think you will get a good note in mythology class (I never knew there were mythology classes, but cool!) There are just a few mistakes that I would like to point out, and a comment:
I thought that Horus was said to be Isis' son, but sometimes, Isis' husband too.
She is often compared to the Greek goddess Persephone
You do not need an apostrophe.
for they loved Isis, And hated Seth.
You shouldn't have capitalized "and".
That is the only mistakes I found. Nice text! :D
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

[insert inspiring quote]

Reviews: 1
Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 pm
SunshineandCarnage says...

Hey, Sunny here with your review. It's very nice. Isis is one of my favorite mythological figures, next to mighty Aphrodite of course.
If looks could kill, you'd be turning blue as we speak

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death your right to say it- Voltaire

Rainbow Dash: Cutesy? Wootsy? Have you even met me?

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato