z

Young Writers Society

Reflection

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:10 am
shloka19 says...

Ok so this is a reflection essay we had to do for my college Eng101 class. We had to talk about how our writing improved throughout the semester and also about a rewrite for one of our essays. Any reviews appreciated!

I was infected with Amor deliria nervosa for books at a very young age. There are few things that make me happier than reading does. But somehow my love for the written word never managed to transform itself into love for creating it. Not for the lack of trying though--the remnants of my NaNoWriMo Young Writers Program project from when I was in high school are proof of this. Writing for the sake of writing was just not my thing. But this semester completely changed that. Besides the fact that my writing improved in every aspect, starting from the thought process right up to the actual execution of the idea, I actually started to like writing. Taking this class along with joining the Young Writers Society reawakened the part of me that used writing as a creative outlet and reveled in the power that came with the art of stringing words together to capture a fleeting thought within the pages of a book. As shown further in the essay, the improvement in my writing was threefold. First was improvement in thought process and formation of ideas, second was in the process of writing itself, and the third was in general conventions such as punctuation.

But before I proceed, a word about the Young Writers Society. This site has been as helpful, if my not more, as taking this class has. My twelve-year old sister, who over the summer had blossomed into a really good poet (and by good, I mean really good. I had no idea my younger sister possessed such a level of maturity), begged me to join. Since I never wrote much, I did not see the point of joining it. In the week before my first English essay was due, I really was desperate for critical reviews that came from people other than my sister, my roommate, or my friends. I joined Young Writers society as a last resort. Never did I think then that it would become such an integral part of my life. Today, I do not think my day would be complete without me checking in at least twice a day. Since I joined YWS almost within a month of the start of the semester, I think I can say that my class and that went hand in hand for improvement of my writing.

The first thing that was different from my high school writing was that for each of our essays, we had to submit drafts to a deadline. It helped my writing process by reducing the writing time to a length such that I did not procrastinate till the day before the due-date, but enough for me to do my ideas justice. Further, outlining helped me organize my thoughts and ideas into a more coherent framework than my usual method of haphazard free-writing. Thus, my writing improved just by changing the thought process behind it.

Another major issue with my second essay was development. My thesis talked about the use of five specific poetic devices and I developed the PIE paragraphs for each of them separately in such a way that when I put it all together in an essay, the flow was fragmented and one thought did not lead to the other. Here is an example of the last line of one paragraph and beginning of the next one from my final draft: “These symbols, unlike that of the sun, point an accusing finger at man. The poem is divided into two parts by the tense used.” I made the transition smoother by inserting this sentence between the above two: “Further accusation comes in the form of the division of the poem”. This flaw in development in turn showed a major flaw in my writing process—that I tend to drop ideas a lot, without allowing for the idea to develop fully and transition properly into the next one.

Apart from my writing process, my writing itself became more coherent by improving upon conventions like punctuation. If being on YWS has taught me anything, it is that punctuation is something that every good writer gets right. Commas, semicolons, m-dashes, n-dashes, hyphens may all sound easy--but perfecting them takes effort. For example, as is seen from the drafts of my first essay, I never got my m- and n-dashes right: “The point to be noted here, is that Harrison Bergeron could have - given his intellectual abilities- remained hidden and undiscovered- for the length of his life- even started an underground rebellion if he had wanted to- yet he chose to walk into a TV studio unarmed…” I corrected it in this way for my final draft : “The point to be noted here, is that Harrison Bergeron could have given his intellectual abilities—remained hidden and undiscovered for the length of his life, even started an underground rebellion if he had wanted to—yet he chose to walk into a TV studio unarmed...” Also, as pointed out by my professor for my second essay, I tend to omit the comma before and/or/but when listing sets of three or more. I corrected this in my revision essay in the following manner: “The tone is dark, desperate, and disturbing”.

Lastly, a word about poetry. We did the poetry unit about the same time as I started discovering the wonders of YWS. I was never a big fan of reading poetry written by someone who was not published. But YWS showed me how wrong I was. The site is oozing with talent. Reading the critiques on the submitted works helped me see how every poem can be interpreted in a million different ways depending on individual perspective and context. Also, for the first time, we were not told the meaning of the poem but allowed the freedom of arriving at it ourselves. This, more than anything, really helped me rediscover my interest in writing—and this time it was for the writing-for-the-sake-of-writing kind.
“Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?’ Actually, who am I not to be?”--Marianne Williamson

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 am
creativityrules says...

Hello, Shloka! I'm Rose, and I'll be reviewing this piece today!

I love the subject of this essay. I completely agree with you that YWS has an amazing way of improving writing; mine has improved loads since I joined. There's just something about having your own work critiqued and critiquing others that improves writing; it teaches you to look for issues and problems in places you never would've even considered before joining. I'm incredibly grateful to this site for everything that it's done for me, and to the people that have helped me become a better writer. That being said, I saw one major issue with this piece, and I'm going to go into it now.

When I saw that this piece was an essay, I must admit that I cringed. I have a specific reason for this. Nothing against you or any other writer, but many essays tend to be jumbled. The main contributor to the problems essays have, in my opinion, is their structure. I'm sort of a stickler when it comes to structure; it's one of the main things I look for in my own work and when critiquing others' pieces. I've been particularly adamant about promoting it lately, and I won't be any different with you.

Let's talk about the opening of this piece. In my opinion, it's too long. I expect the opening of any piece to be roughly three or four sentences, to give me a taste of what's going to happen in the upcoming paragraphs, and to help me understand what the writer's personal writing style is. I couldn't find that in this piece. My eyes didn't know where to go because there were simply too many words clumped together. I feel like you tried to fit too much in the opening paragraph, and it made the writing feel rushed. Slow down; you've got an entire essay to make your point.

Once you get into the middle of the essay, it's acceptable to use larger paragraphs. However, I wouldn't go any larger than two-thirds of the largest paragraph you have here. What you write must be broken down into manageable pieces.

I'm going to leave you with one key point to think about. When you're writing, think about what people want to see when they read something. Step back and look at what you've created. Ask yourself if it's acceptable in your eyes, and also if it will be easy to read. Think about your readers. Readers are what support writers; therefore, you need to take care of them. If you take care of them, they'll take care of you.

Always keep writing!

-Rose
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:48 pm
MasterGrieves says...

I liked what I was reading, definetely. Again, I must agree with CR that the intro was a tad bit too long. The middle section, which provided the most meat for your essay, is great in my opinion. It was full of optimism and I enjoyed every word of it. You seem to be shining with honesty with this essay, which I love. You aknowledge the fact that YWS has improved you massively as a writer, which wins you a few brownie points.

'Apart from my writing process, my writing itself became more coherent by improving upon conventions like punctuation. If being on YWS has taught me anything, it is that punctuation is something that every good writer gets right. Commas, semicolons, m-dashes, n-dashes, hyphens may all sound easy--but perfecting them takes effort. For example, as is seen from the drafts of my first essay, I never got my m- and n-dashes right: “The point to be noted here, is that Harrison Bergeron could have - given his intellectual abilities- remained hidden and undiscovered- for the length of his life- even started an underground rebellion if he had wanted to- yet he chose to walk into a TV studio unarmed…” I corrected it in this way for my final draft : “The point to be noted here, is that Harrison Bergeron could have given his intellectual abilities—remained hidden and undiscovered for the length of his life, even started an underground rebellion if he had wanted to—yet he chose to walk into a TV studio unarmed...” Also, as pointed out by my professor for my second essay, I tend to omit the comma before and/or/but when listing sets of three or more. I corrected this in my revision essay in the following manner: “The tone is dark, desperate, and disturbing”.'

This whole passage here is great. Simply. You have great analysis skills, by the way. This proves it.

Now, your ending. It didn't feel like an ending. It just felt like you summed it all up in 1-2 sentences. Add more words of optimism! Make sure for your next essay you add something that doesn't feel something anticlimatic.

Overall though, great work. I never do star ratings, so lucky you I am. I'd give it 4/5 stars.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown