z

Young Writers Society

To Be a Parent

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:50 am
snowberry23 says...

Daily, I question my parent’s ability to parent me. I typically ask myself, what did I do wrong? I understand that I didn’t cause my parents’ divorce, but that doesn’t change the facts; my parents were told by their therapist that having another child might help their marital dilemmas. Nine months later I was born, and less than a year later, they were getting a divorce. No matter what anyone tells me, the fact of the matter is, I didn’t work.

If you were to think practically, a baby demands attention. It never brings the focus onto the parents. So, how could I have saved my parents failing marriage? This is the question everyone poses, and then begins the ‘there was nothing you could do’ speech that my entire family has recited to me multiple times. I am my mother’s daughter. Seven doctors and three psychologists sat down with her and explained how the lack of oxygen to my brother’s brain while he was in the womb was not her fault, but she didn’t believe them. She blamed herself for his disabilities, and when the judge asked her if she was fighting for custody of her children, she simply stated that she just wanted me. No one could change her mind, and no one can tell me differently either. Maybe if I had just been different, I wouldn’t have to be living in-between a doorframe, with each foot in a different household.

Not only did my parents make me feel as if I was the rope in their personal tug-o-war game, they never showed me how to share a part of me with someone else. I have never once questioned the immeasurable amount of love my parents have for me, but I have wondered about the idea of marriage. My mom’s second marriage crumbled to the ground in under two years, and she died six months after her third wedding, so no one knows how that marriage would have turned out. My dad got engaged three weeks after my mom died, so of course I hated her immediately. Both of my parents displayed childish behaviors in some ways. I can’t help but wonder: why have children if you’re not going to teach them based on knowledge acquired from your mistakes?

Five years later and I still don’t believe in marriage. My mom was my best friend first, and my mother second. While that order of priorities gave us an indescribable relationship, it didn’t make for great parenting. My father, who didn’t start raising me until I was ten years old, didn’t know how to accept me. I wouldn’t ask for different parents. I am proud to call myself their daughter. But through their many flaws, I have come to realize that I have to surround myself with people who can grow along with me and believe in whatever mountain I may be climbing. These people may not be my flesh and blood, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are my family.
When nothing goes right, go left

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:41 pm
espeon says...

I really liked that!
Probably because I can relate to it on a certain level. You described the "fault" feeling perfectly.

The points made were clear, giving me a good insight. Your overall sentence structure and flow was good too, making it easy and enjoyable to read. Nothing gets better than that :)

I totally agree with everything you had stated. My own parents had not exactly taken me seriously either, being ridiculously young at the time and incapable of acknowledging the vastness of the responsibility they were about to take on.
It didn't work.
But that's a different story to tell.

None the less, thank you for sharing this wonderful piece and hope you're having a fantastic day!
Yours,
E.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:21 pm
snowberry23 says...

Aw thanks for the sweet review...you should write a piece based on your parents and I'll review it haha
:D

Keep Writing
~SnowBerry
When nothing goes right, go left

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:20 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Hiya, I don't give review in these types of articles since, well, it's because of the sincerity of the speakers. And I think you, Snowberry, is a lucky person.

Well first, I'd like to say that that question also appears on my mid. Especially in times wherein I curse mom because of her obsessive organizing and my dad's 'I know everything' problem. But after that, I think about how they turn out to be my parents. They're people too. And they're the ones that mold me to this. I'm lucky to have them; why curse, right?

I'm greatly touched with your thoughts about parenting. Yes, we get to those problems all the time, but I think we can get 'allover' them all the time. Let's just leave it all to God.

The reason that I think your lucky is that you survived this great insanity. Most children suffer from trauma or depression until their teenage years, still longing for the other parent. You're lucky because there are still people who love you, and I believe I'm lucky too.

We all are...

Your BlackBerry
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain