Young Writers Society

Does Money Equal Happiness?

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm
View Likes
Napier says...

Spoiler! :
I've always found this question very intriguing, and I had a chance to answer it properly in a recent school project. Any thoughts and arguments on this subject would be very helpful and it would be very interesting to hear your thoughts on the subject.

The answer of “yes” seems to spring irresistibly to a lot of people’s minds when they are posed with this question, but I think the answer goes much deeper than a one word statement. A lot of people don’t take the type of person, the circumstance of the money and the general views and personality traits of the person. For example, is an extremely optimistic person likely to be miserable if he or she is a little poor? To counter that, will a horribly pessimistic person be driven to ecstasy simply because they have come into some money? This is unlikely- the only time where these ideas do apply is in extreme cases such as when a family are so poor that they are driven to poverty. This does not help us with the question, as who’s going to be overly happy living with poverty?

Also, consider this. A wealthy family member of yours has recently died and left you a large sum of money in their will, making you extremely rich. Surely this money is going to make you miserable? Surely spending this money is going to remind you of your deceased family member? Inheritance is one of the largest causes for wealth- most people these days who own large businesses, for example, have probably inherited them from their parents.

Although; it may be argued that the money will remind you of your family member in a good way. You’ll be pleased that they left you this money to honour their name by using it for good, and this will make you very happy indeed.

But you will always have the emotional burden of a dead family member on your shoulders.

And say it isn’t a family member. What if an obscure friend of yours has no family to give his money to, and so leaves it to you. Wouldn’t this make you feel guilty about the circumstances of the money? The guilt could gnaw at you for life- you barely knew this guy, and yet you have gained a substantial wealth from him and are spending it on pleasurable items.
We should also take into the account of personally earned money. If someone earns a lot of money doing a job they hate, they won’t be happy, will they? When looking at this question, lifestyle is key. Some people, strange as it may be, are simply born happy. A recent study shows that Nigeria is the happiest country out of over 65 of the biggest countries tested- this tells us that, strangely, maybe some people are just born happy. If a person is born into a family with an amazingly sunny outlook on life, this will affect that person- they’ll be more likely to grow up to feel happy and good about themselves, no matter what income they earn.

I think people should also consider how intelligently people spend money. An obscenely rich, but unintelligent man could waste his wealth on things that won’t boost his morale; won’t make him feel any better. Everyone has heard of the stereotype of an incredibly rich person who just buys useless things, doesn’t find true love and ends up hated and alone. Stereotypes are, of course, unreliable sources, to say the least, but it can’t be argued that this example is often the case.
Although you often find people who are incredibly happy who have lots of money. Making you obscenely rich doesn’t always make a man unhappy, it simply what you do with the money. That’s what people should be looking at when asked this question.

In addition to this, it’s also about how you manage your money. Someone who hasn’t got very good skills at organizing things, is going to have trouble keeping up with, say, their mortgage. This could be one of the most stressful experiences someone can face. An emotional person faced with an overdue mortgage is going to be faced with immense stress, and this is all to do with the amounts of money that they do or do not have. Someone who is unwise with money could buy a terribly expensive house, only to find that they do not have a substantial income to keep up with the mortgage and bills. They could end up juggling and opening multiple savings accounts, having to stay up late sorting through seemingly endless piles of late bills and this has the potential to plunge someone straight into a very depressed state.

All because of money.

So I think, in conclusion, money can sometimes imply happiness, and, in some cases, it does indeed equal happiness, if someone has been especially careful with how they use their money. And that’s what it all comes down to. Using money. Happiness from money can be gained incredibly easily, simply if you use your money well.
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:38 pm
shadowraiki says...

Hello. I read through your essay and although you want some ideas, I find myself only able to give them by writing another, similar essay. Though I am on a time constraint and only want to point out two things that I feel are extremely important.

1) You deviate from the question a little. It says, "Does money equal happiness?" while you do answer this, I feel like you spend too much time debating what the question actually means rather than answering it. Rather than saying, "Yes, money equals happiness and this is reason a, b, and c." Your response is more like, "Money could equal happiness, IF this, IF that..." do you get what I'm saying? I don't know what the requirements for the assignment were so I could be writing something dumb right now. But the point is, make sure you answer the question first and then break into the tangent if need be.

2) Don't be wishy-washy. At the end you mention "sometimes". Teachers hate that. They absolutely hate that. They want you to pick a side and then defend it as if your life depended on it. Just take out the 'sometimes' and make it a statement. "Money can imply happiness, and in some cases equal happiness". See how even though you took out the 'sometimes' the question is stronger, yet still debatable.

As for my view, I will say money does not equal happiness. I have a job, I have money (albeit I'm still a minor and don't have to pay bills and mortages), but I have more money than a teenager should have saved. And guess what. I'm not happy. So I guess this is more of a personal opinion. I mean, if I was in the billionare status and could just buy whatever I wanted, I would be happy. But only temporary. I bought a computer able to play almost every game on the market. I bought a ton of games. And before I knew it, I was staring at the screen, miserable even though I had all that. I have a longing inside of me for something more than just physical desire.

I hoped something I said helped. If not, I'm sorry :(
If words are just letters put together, why do we decide on what they mean?

I step away from the grammar to review the story.

I don't do poetry.

56 Reviews

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 pm
Napier says...

Thanks a lot- it helped me immensely.
According to my Geography teacher (who set me this task- weird question considering the subject right?) one of my weakest areas in arguing a point is the fact that I don't consider both sides of the argument. He told me that before he set this, so it's what I tried to do here.
Personally I think that's stupid. If you're arguing something, why would you defend the other side as well? If he hadn't have told me that, I'm sure my opinion would have come across greater. I personally disagree outright that money equals happiness (although it doesn't help that, being in my early teens, I'm flat out broke!), but if a flimsy argument is what he wanted...
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:05 pm
View Likes
shadowraiki says...

The way I was taught by my English teacher (and yes, geography, what madness is this?) that you should talk about the other side. Not only talk about them but acknowledge that they are entitled to their opinion. But then you have to follow it up with WHY they are wrong. Point out their flaws and it makes their arguement look especially weak. For example:

Person 1: The U.S should not pull out of the middle east because there are terrorists that could potentially harm the UniteD States.
Person 2: I disagree. The U.S should pull out of the middle east because it is those terrorists who cause harm to the soldiers that we send over. So why are we sending soldiers into hostile enemy territory?

Essentially, you are using their arguement against them (kung-fu movies, think using the enemies strength against him). My example was a bit weak, but in your case, you would be arguing against, "Money does not equal happiness." To this you could question them and say, "You say money does not equal happiness, so are you telling me that you enjoy having no home, no food, or clothes to wear?" albeit a bit dramatic, but you get what I'm saying.
If words are just letters put together, why do we decide on what they mean?

I step away from the grammar to review the story.

I don't do poetry.

56 Reviews

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 pm
View Likes
Napier says...

Again, that helped me greatly- I much appreciate all your help!
― Stephen King

― Stephen King

Reviews: 4
Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:21 pm
View Likes
parasdahal says...

I always want to write similar articles this, but I don't know how you people direct the subject so smoothly to a single thesis. Yeah as already mentioned, you were describing the topic more, but overall it was a great analytical essay .

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 pm
Davethepenquin says...

Very nice essay - It is for Geography I expect for the Human elements of Geography, like economical stuff (LEDC, MEDC, all that) and social stuff.
The reason it is important to give both sides is that understanding the opposing argument(s) is essential to understanding your own. In debates (think back to year 8 :D) the best side to be on is the side you don't want to be on because it will make you think.

E.G. Bring back death penalty VS. Don't do that
I belive you are for the latter, no?
Well If you had to argue for the other, it would be significantly more mentally stimulating that arguing for what you actually think.

I hope you understand what I have just written.
Because it probably makes no sense.
:D Peace!
The Fear Contest - Winners

1st Place - Hit the Black by mikeypro
2nd Place - Makeshift Calamity by jcipriano1
3rd Place - Ashes and Blood by HaydenSmith

Bonjour mon petit bureau de change!

Voila, le conversation dans le parc!

I feel like if I was the mafia I’d leave a voicemail.
— Tuckster