z

Young Writers Society

Need Reviews Urgently, Please!

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:39 am
SkyeDreamer says...

Spoiler! :
This is an essay for a month-long creative writing camp called A Novel Idea. We write and publish a novel in a month, and I really want to be accepted! We had to make these 3 points: Why I love to write, why I want to write a novel, and what makes me a good choice for this summer accomplishment. Additionally, we had to make it interesting. :) This is the rough draft, so critique harshly. I want to be able to turn it in tomorrow afternoon if at all possible. It's a little dramatic maybe, but hopefully not too bad to be reformed, haha... Thank you!

How can I describe the way writing makes me feel? Single words, threaded together on a page, can make the most heartfelt thing in the world. And yet, there is no perfect way to explain the joys, pitfalls, triumphs, and challenges of writing. Some people might never understand why it is worth the effort, what the magnetic pull is, or how the words flowing at my fingertips makes even an amateur writer soar.
This is why I write. When I know I can come home after a torturous day and bleed my soul into a piece of poetry, when I feel so alone and find my truest friend in a well-loved chapter, or when I’m on top of the world and confide in my trustworthy words, everything seems more alive. When I am too shy to speak out, or can’t find a reason to be here, or just need an outlet, I can always trust the pen- my pen- to be there- for better or for worse. And that’s the thing- when I feel like there is absolutely nothing important for me, I will still always have my imagination to make beautiful pictures with (even though sometimes I’m the only one who ever sees their beauty). When I feel like everything in my “real world” is going wrong, I know am able to control the characters and lives I created with a tender hand; everyone needs to have that opportunity at times. Writing helps make sense of everything. And most importantly, I know that even when what I say, do, or type doesn’t make perfect sense, writing is what I God created me to do. Writing will always be there for me, a forever friend.
I suppose this is why I want to write a novel. I’ve had writer’s block, and I know what a horrible feeling it is when there are so many colorful ideas soaring around, but none of them are worthy when put on paper. I understand why writing is so important to me, even when what I put on paper doesn’t exactly make sense to anyone but me. Sometimes I write something delightful, but other times I make a mess of what could have been a lovely piece. Either way, I can always have the satisfaction of knowing I created something, anything, a part of me. The knowledge that I’ve penned something wonderful is truly an incredible feeling. Writing a novel is something I’ve dreamed about doing, and now that I have my chance… you must know I’m not giving up easily.
I want to have an opportunity to express myself in a way that could really make an impact. I’ve won several awards for my as yet inexpert works, and I’d like to grow in my abilities. This is an opportunity that I cannot pass up; writing is my passion and I often dream of being able to make an impact through it, as so many famous authors have. I want people to be impacted by what I have to say, but I may never have that opportunity to be heard if I don’t start speaking up now.
I’d like to close with this: writing is something I do because I love it, but it’s also a way to open doors in life. I have to take every chance I get seriously and craft every piece to the best of my abilities, for my sake and hopefully others’. I’d love to be able to say, “I’ve written a novel,” and have the pride that my efforts amounted to something worthy. Maya Angelou said, “The idea is to write it so that people hear it and it slides through the brain and goes straight to the heart.” That is what I’d like to someday be able to do; I want people to feel what I say. And yet, even if no one ever reads what I write, it will be okay, because at least the words are there, waiting to be read, waiting to be seen not just letters, but as so much more.

I used certain words too many times- especially "writing," so if anyone has synonyms to use, I'd appreciate it! Thank you so much!
~Please review me~
*Want a review? Just ask!*

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:04 am
View Likes
Jelly says...

I actually think this is great, I mean, I've never really put down why I write, but some of your statements make me wonder whether you've read my mind.
You say that it's a little dramatic, but I think it's just heartfelt. I had this feeling that you were just spilling out all the reasons that you love writing, and while you could use more neutral words if you'd like to, I definitely don't think it'd be necessary. Same goes adding more structure to it. You could, but I like it as it is.
Maybe that's just me though. I mean, I'm pretty used to dramatic, having formatted a middle school newspaper. xD
I know you said to critique harshly, but I find myself kind of incapable of that. *sheepish*
-- CC

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:16 am
Sonotmybirthday says...

I really enjoyed reading this!!! I actually prefer more anylitical writing and this piece was a beautiful example. One thing I would say was I felt in the piece dashes were overused. Maybe that's just my take, but I was dash happy and my writing got better after I changed some of my sentence structure. Great piece though!!!! :D
BE FIERCE!!!!!!

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:12 am
tgirly says...

I feel that the question at the beginning should be seperate from the rest of the paragraph. I do like it a lot. I thinkg you should edit it a tiny bit more. If I were the camp people, I'd put you in to it! Great job and good luck!
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:34 pm
SkyeDreamer says...

I got in! Thank you for all the reviews! :)
~Please review me~
*Want a review? Just ask!*

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and the shadows will fall beyond you.
— Walt Whitman