z

Young Writers Society

Getting to Know You

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 pm
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Not sure if this goes anywhere, really--someone let me know if I should move it.

Anyway, there's this chart about the stages of relationships--how people go from meeting, to bonding, to intensifying the relationship, to merging habits/lives--that kind of thing. How people get close. I'm pretty sure I got the order wrong.

The book is kinda outdated, so I thought I'd make my own special chart for online relationships--specifically ones like this, on sites where you don't know the person's real name.
(Yes, I'm doing this for fun.)
~~~~~~~

1. Becoming Visible
This is the very first stage--you see someone's username and/or post and become aware of their existence.
2. Acknowledgment
You acknowledge this person exists. This can be done via a comment that references them, a wall post, a pm--whatever. You talk to them.
3. Getting to Know You
You actually have a conversation with this person.
4. Getting to Like You
You regularly talk to this person. At this point, certain things probably remind you of them.
5. Best Buds
Talking to this person is a habit. You have inside jokes.
6. You actually learn this person's real name, and details about them that they might not share with other people normally. May overlap or come before 4 or 5, and occasionally even 3.
7. You actually meet in person. (This may never happen, for numerous reasons.)
~~~~~~~~~
Now, that's the ways people grow together. What about the ways people grow apart? (I can't remember the specific things the textbook said. :P)

1. Disenchantment
Maybe something the person does/says upsets you. Maybe one or both of you just gets busy. In any case, you don't talk as much as you used to--or, at least, you don't interact the same way together.
2. Disengagement
You stop talking to this person for a significant period of time.(The amount of time considered significant varies.)
3. Strangerization
(Why yes, I did just make up my own word.) This is when you and your former friend no longer really know each other. Attempts to regain that friendship will sound much like Acknowledgment or Getting to Know You.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've written more here than i have in.....anything I've written save an essay. Maybe a journal entry, but those aren't online. I find this........ just a bit discouraging. Oh well.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:30 pm
View Likes
Soulkana says...

Well this was a very interesting topic and I can see the logic in it. Hopefully this gets many reviews. You explained it rather well and made me laugh at how simple it was compared to how it actually happens. Good luck with this article and Happy Writing!!! Keep up the good work...
Soulkana<3
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

Reviews: 3
Wed May 04, 2011 11:06 pm
PhoenixRain says...

I thought this was cool! On the one hand, it has some pretty good tips; on the other, the oversimplification of the process was hysterical. I really like the piece and you did a marvelous job with it :)I look forward to more pieces of this nature, should you choose to post them :)
NaPoWriMo Count: 6 poems (only started on the 14th :P)
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=97647&p=1135123#p1135123

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:43 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

Haven't seen anything like it. There aren't any spelling errors and everything is where it ought to be.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and THEN do your best.
— W. Edwards Deming