z

Young Writers Society

The Renaissance: A Postive Influence

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:36 pm
DelanieHeart says...

The Renaissance: Heroic Traits

The Renaissance, to put it simply, was the rebirth of classical knowledge from the ancient civilizations of Greece and Rome. The Renaissance changed ideas drastically and positively influenced the Western World. The change in ideology and the newly strengthened economy were just some of the positive things that occurred during the Renaissance.

It is a known fact that many Indigenous people died during the process of European imperialism. However, some may not know that imperialism was a direct cause of Europe's new economic strength. Without the practice of imperialism, the economy would be less wealthy and the countries and cities not as successful.

Some people say, that due to the feelings of superiority in Europe, they [the Europeans] were more cruel in their imperialist practices. Imperialism led to the discovery of the Americas, however, and without those feelings, they could have missed out on their human potential. Imperialism was prime for the "Age of Exploration". All in all, the Renaissance did have a positive effect on the Western World.

The Renaissance positively affected many aspects of society, such as the dramatic change in ideology and thought. Humanists and the idea of humanism encouraged people to reach their full human potential, along with aspects of education, civic duty and the importance of the individual. People's ideas and practices in art changed too. There were now portraits, landscapes and Brunelleschi's idea of perspective. In addition to all that, religion began to change too. The Church became corrupted and people began to notice. Martin Luther changed people's ideas with his 95 Theses, triggering the "Protestant Reformation" and the "Catholic Counter Reformation" too. The changing ideology was because of the New Age that was known as the Renaissance.

A result of this new age, worldviews changed and the economy became stronger than ever. Imperialism was a major worldview of countries, because they no longer just wanted land, they want the people and resources in it. As a result of imperialism, countries began to get precious metals, slaves, gold, silver and other valuable items. This increased trade and all the new goods, in turn, strengthened the economy. During this time, new trade routes were established, such as the Portuguese one to India. Bringing back all the goods (spices, silk, precious metals) into the market, strengthening the economy by producing stable wealth. Conclusively, the Renaissance caused this growth and strength in the economy.

From changing ideology to strengthening the economy, the Renaissance positively contributed to a number of things. Even now there are still visible aspects of such a wonderful time period. In a nutshell, it is obvious the Renaissance positively affected the Western World's economy and thinking.

-- Delanie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note: This was an essay I did for my Grade 8 Social Test on the Renaissance. Feel free to give me constructive criticism but keep in mind I finished this in a half hour -- under pressure too. Thanks for reading and I hope it enlightened you on the positive effects from the Renaissance!

Writing is a haven. Writing is a solitude. Writing is a passion.

-- Delanie Heart

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:25 pm
Mrs Elizabeth Darcy says...

:) Incredibly good for a half an hour under pressure. My scholastic fruits of half an hour usually end up looking like 'and there was this guy called John and he did some stuff that affected stuff...and stuff...' ;) I'm not sure what your teacher requires essay-wise, but this is stylistic &c. only!

Usually, I find that when writing persuasive material such as an essay or a speech, one has an introduction, then the arguments in favour, then the arguments against and their refutations, then the conclusion. You can put some of the pros before the cons and some after, but if you put the cons first, then people don't know what you're talking about, and may even have their position, if it's opposed to yours, strengthened, even if you refute. So perhaps switch it up a little.

People's ideas and practices in art changed too. There were now portraits, landscapes and Brunelleschi's idea of perspective. In addition to all that, religion began to change too. The Church became corrupted and people began to notice. Martin Luther changed people's ideas with his 95 Theses, triggering the "Protestant Reformation" and the "Catholic Counter Reformation" too.

You have ended three out of five consecutive sentences with the word 'too.' An 'also' and perhaps an 'as well,' or at least a 'too' in a different place, would not go amiss. :)

Altogether, it was clear, concise, and even interesting (an interesting essay?? :shock: ) It was also (this matters a lot to me) well punctuated and spelled, with good grammar. I am proud.

Post more stuff!

;) Mrs.E.D.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife.
Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 1

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 pm
DelanieHeart says...

Thanks Mrs. ED ;) Love the review and I do use a lot of the same words in some paragraphs sadly. Glad you like it though and just to let you know, I got 100% on that particular test :)

Writing is a haven. Writing is a solitude. Writing is a passion.

-- Delanie Heart

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:32 pm
Mrs Elizabeth Darcy says...

A boo-yah! :)
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife.
Pride and Prejudice, Chapter 1

Live your life how you want, but don't confuse drama with happiness.
— Ron, Parks & Rec