z

Young Writers Society

"Making a Change" my entry to a speech contest

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:45 am
trying2Bnaturallyme says...

Change is about choices. Influence comes from ideas. Purpose brings progress. When faced with a problem one can choose to overcome it. One can give ideas to solve the problem. One can present and pursue a purpose. It is in this way that one person can impact many. Today we celebrate the Dream of Dr. King. The celebrations stretch far beyond his fight for civil rights. Today has become a day to honor the dreams of all who want to make a difference. All who make a choice, pursue their purpose, and instate influential ideas. It’s about motivating others to “be the change they want to see in the world.”

I can call upon our One School One Book novel for a perfect example of one person impacting many. When Prim is chosen as a tribute to compete in the Hunger Games, Katniss makes a choice to step up and take her sister’s place. The ideas of this unfair sinister competition motivate Katniss to stay strong. We all read as her purpose to stay alive becomes a rebellion against the capital. Continue through Catching Fire and Mocking Jay to discover how the actions of a local girl change the future society she lives in.

Kylie Kuhns is a local girl making a change today. This thirteen year old in Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania lost her sister Kelsey to leukemia. Kylie made a choice to honor the spirit of her helpful sister. Her idea; hold a kickball tournament to raise money for the foundation named Kelsey’s Dream. The purpose; provide snack boxes, blanket, and toys for sick children. A day spent in a scary hospital can feel like an eternity. Kylie’s efforts help to brighten their world.

Maybe you’ve noticed these situations both showcase sisters and have names starting with K. This is just a coincidence. However the concept behind the situations is not coincidental. The actions of both girls exemplify the ripple affect that can come from one choice. One idea. One purpose.

Change doesn’t have to be over-turning an unfair society or starting your foundation. Your contribution to change can be a simple act sprouted from a simple decision.
For example, you drank a water bottle, a healthy choice for yourself. Now with that empty bottle you have a choice to help humanity. How you ask? Choice 1: throw it in the closest garbage can you can find. It’ll get hauled away in a black bag in a green truck to a landfill. That’s the end pretty much. It sits there. Taking up space. For years and years. Choice 2: toss it in a recyle bin. It gets sent to a center, sorted appropriately and sold to companies to make new products. Hmmmm. New products from old material. That’s less energy to make new material. That’s less space sitting useless in a landfill.

What do eco-efforts have to do with our Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration? I asked myself that same question when I heard about the contest. “Such talk is too much of a stretch, it’s out of context”, I thought. But like I said, today is not just honoring his dream, but promoting the dreams of those who want to make a change for the better. Dr. King changed how we treat each other. My dream is to change the way we treat our planet. His dream helped humanity get along with each other. My dream is to help humanity’s home.

The truth is my 2-3 minute speech on making a change makes no change unless you take these words and turn them into actions. The change is not me sharing a story and suggestion. The change comes when you make the choice. Dr. King believed that the difference begins within us all. We all have that spark. And I’ll let Katy Perry take it from here; we “just gotta ignite the light and let it shine.”

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:41 pm
LadyPurple says...

trying2Bnaturallyme wrote:Change is about choices. Influence comes from ideas. Purpose brings progress. When faced with a problem one can choose to overcome it. One can give ideas to solve the problem. One can present and pursue a purpose. It is in this way that one person can impact many. Today we celebrate the Dream of Dr. King. The celebrations stretch far beyond his fight for civil rights. Today has become a day to honor the dreams of all who want to make a difference. All who make a choice, pursue their purpose, and instate influential ideas. It’s about motivating others to “be the change they want to see in the world.”

I can call upon our One School One Book novel for a perfect example of one person impacting many. When Prim is chosen as a tribute to compete in the Hunger Games, Katniss makes a choice to step up and take her sister’s place. The ideas of this unfair sinister competition motivate Katniss to stay strong. We all read as her purpose to stay alive becomes a rebellion against the Capital. Continue through Catching Fire and Mocking Jay to discover how the actions of a local girl change the future society she lives in.

Kylie Kuhns is a local girl making a change today. This thirteen year old in Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania lost her sister Kelsey to leukemia. Kylie made a choice to honor the spirit of her helpful sister. Her idea; hold a kickball tournament to raise money for the foundation named Kelsey’s Dream. The purpose; provide snack boxes, blanket, and toys for sick children. A day spent in a scary hospital can feel like an eternity. Kylie’s efforts help to brighten their world.

Maybe you’ve noticed these situations both showcase sisters and have names starting with K. This is just a coincidence. However the concept behind the situations is not coincidental. The actions of both girls exemplify the ripple affect that can come from one choice. One idea. One purpose.

Change doesn’t have to be over-turning an unfair society or starting your foundation. Your contribution to change can be a simple act sprouted from a simple decision.
For example, you drank a water bottle, a healthy choice for yourself. Now with that empty bottle you have a choice to help humanity. How you ask? Choice 1: throw it in the closest garbage can you can find. It’ll get hauled away in a black bag in a green truck to a landfill. That’s the end pretty much. It sits there. Taking up space. For years and years. Choice 2: toss it in a recyle bin. It gets sent to a center, sorted appropriately and sold to companies to make new products. Hmmmm. New products from old material. That’s less energy to make new material. That’s less space sitting useless in a landfill.

What do eco-efforts have to do with our Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration? I asked myself that same question when I heard about the contest. “Such talk is too much of a stretch, it’s out of context,” I thought. But like I said, today is not just honoring his dream, but promoting the dreams of those who want to make a change for the better. Dr. King changed how we treat each other. My dream is to change the way we treat our planet. His dream helped humanity get along with each other. My dream is to help humanity’s home.

The truth is my 2-3 minute speech on making a change makes no change unless you take these words and turn them into actions. The change is not me sharing a story and suggestion. The change comes when you make the choice. Dr. King believed that the difference begins within us all. We all have that spark. And I’ll let Katy Perry take it from here; we “just gotta ignite the light and let it shine.”

I thought this was a nice, touching piece. I'd like to know if you win with this. :wink: Anyway, I found just about two errors. The Capital is a place. And I'm sure you didn't catch the puncuation up there. But that's okay/ Aside from that I couldn't find anything else.
~LadyPurple.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:19 pm
trying2Bnaturallyme says...

Thanks for the reply! I didn't win :( But I very much enjoyed writing this speech and participating in the contest.

You are beautiful because you let yourself feel, and that is a brave thing indeed.
— Shinji Moon