z

Young Writers Society

"Of Mice And Men" Comparison Essay

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:16 pm
bookworm27 says...

This was my paper for english class, and i would like to know thoughts on it before i get my grade back...It compares "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck to "To A Mouse" by Robert Burns It also examines the greater theme of originality in art, something that is scarcely found in the literary world. Please give your thoughts, comments, and criticism. Thanks!

The word “original” is often used to describe paintings that have been manufactured by hand, but it is not clear whether hand-made copies of work are still considered so. When an artist copies another’s art, is his own art original now that it has been tainted by the thoughts’ of others? The poem “To A Mouse” by Robert Burns served as inspiration for John Steinbeck when writing the famed tragedy “Of Mice and Men.” Steinbeck, a Nobel prize-winning author, set many of his books during the Great Depression or the California Dustbowl, times when the future seemed bleak. In Of Mice and Men, man-child Lennie and his “father figure” George form an unsuspecting friendship, and set off into the world with their dreams of one day buying land and settling down. The characteristics of these protagonists are directly taken from the Burns’ poem, which describes similar characters. Is such a close emulation detrimental to the value of originality in the work? Steinbeck believed that “only through imitation do we develop toward originality,” a motif seen in Of Mice and Men. Inspiration is necessary for all art, but by exploiting Burns’ poem, Steinbeck bastardizes the innocence of originality.
The affection the narrator displays for the mouse in Burns’ poem mirrors the affection George displays for his friend Lennie in Of Mice and Men. The narrator starts by convincing the mouse that he is not an enemy, and that he will do the mouse no harm. “Wee, sleekit, cow'rin', tim'rous beastie, O what a panic's in thy breastie! Thou need na start awa sae hasty…I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee” (lines 1-5). In this portion of the poem, the narrator attempts to establish a rapport between himself and the mouse. By the same token, in Of Mice and Men, George gains Lennie’s trust and regards him similarly to a mouse. George sees Lennie’s naivety, and does not wish for the treacherous world to inflict misery upon him. In the following stanza of the poem, the narrator apologizes for the behavior of mankind upon the mouse. George sympathizes with Lennie, as George sees the many obstacles that Lennie must face, and how he is helpless to avoid them. George wants to lessen the burden that society brings upon Lennie, but is often frustrated with Lennie’s lack of gratitude. “Whatever we ain't got, that's what you want...” (page 11). In the poem, Burns amplifies the similarities between the narrator and the mouse, as they are both creatures of the same earth (“Which makes thee startle, At me, thy poor, earth born companion, An' fellow mortal!” [lines 10-12]). Although George and Lennie are the foil of each other, they both are “loners” who have no one else besides one another. ‘“An’ I got you. We got each other, that’s what, that gives a hoot in hell about us,’ Lennie cried in triumph.’”(page 104). This dependence on each other showcases both characters weaknesses, and the delicacy of their relationship. In both the poem and the novel, the relationship between the two protagonists is vulnerable and transient. This idea of communal fragility is present in Steinbeck’s other novels, which often were written about struggling characters at the base of society’s hierarchy. The same concept is also clearly evident in Burns’ poem, begging the question of whether or not such similarity is paying homage to another writer, or infringing on Burns’ right to originality.
Both Steinbeck and Burns allude to the tenuity of preservation, and that all of life’s elements are ephemeral. In To A Mouse, the narrator unintentionally destroys the home of the mouse, leaving her exposed to the brutalities of the coming winter months (“Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin! 
It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!” [lines 19-20]). Where the mouse had believed to be prepared, she is now unable to defend herself, with little hope in sight. The mouse must now survive in a life of harsh struggle; a very different outcome to what she had planned. George and Lennie of Of Mice and Men have a similar relationship to the mouse and her home. Lennie acts as the mouse, a creature of feeble means to take care of itself, while George is the home that protects the mouse. George understands that while he can go one without Lennie, Lennie would not be able to survive without him, just as the situation in Burns’ poem. This conflict comes into play when George must decide what to do with his friend after Lennie’s incident with Curley’s wife. “You ain’t gonna leave me, are ya George? I know you ain’t.” Lennie automatically asks for help from George, who is unable to pick up the pieces as he has done previously. In both Of Mice and Men and To A Mouse, the motif of vulnerability is used to describe the characters. Lennie’s fragility is ironic, as it contradicts his physical strength, while the mouse’s appearance denotes diaphaneity. In these cases, Steinbeck and Burns show the likeness between the powerful man and such a small creature as a mouse. Although very different, they are both creatures of the same earth and share similar weaknesses. These weaknesses ultimately define their fate, and the path of life that they will endure.
In Burns’ poem, the narrator determines that life rarely goes according to ta desired path (“The best laid schemes o’mice an’ men gang aft agley” [lines 38-39]), a concept that Steinbeck utilizes in showing the death of the American Dream. George and Lennie of Of Mice and Men form an imaginary utopia, in which they synthesize their future. When in a trying situation, this false comfort restores their hope and encourages them to power onward. Throughout the novel, their fairy-tale becomes increasingly detailed, as they search for a window out of the troubles in their lives. ‘“Someday—we’re gonna get the jack together and we’re gonna have a little house and a couple of acres an’ a cow and some pigs and-’ ‘An’ live off the fatta the lan’,’ Lennie shouted.” (page 14). In To A Mouse, the narrator describes how he can only hypothesize as to what the future may entail, and fears for its speculative outcome. After spending much time consumed by worry, he decides that “foresight may be vain” (line 38) and accepts the uncertainty in his life. Similarly, in Of Mice and Men George and Lennie are unable to accept the ambiguity of the future, and are forced to create their own stability creating a dream world. In such a world, they have absolute control over their future, no matter how impractical it may be. This method satisfies both Lennie and George, but only until the future becomes so futile that there is no other option but to abandon their childish reveries. A major difference between To A Mouse and Of Mice and Men is that while the narrator in Burns’ poem acquiesces his future, George and Lennie cannot do the same. It is not until Lennie’s incident with Curley’s wife that George sees beyond his fabricated dreams and determines that the best course of action is to kill his friend. This choice literally annihilates the paradisiacal fantasies, or “American Dream” that once ruled the lives of both protagonists. Just as in Burns’ poem, a well-planned scheme goes terribly awry, demonstrating the recalcitrant path of life.
Inspiration’s purpose is to provide a starting point to work from, rather than to supply an entire idea to replicate. To do so is to encroach on the basic right of individuality. Individuality allows for the progression of one’s own idea to become original work. Steinbeck uses Burns’ best piece of literature and infringes on its right to exist. Although Of Mice and Men is famed for its groundbreaking use of euthanasia, the idea itself was taken directly from Burns’ poem. The credit that Steinbeck procures for his novel detaches from the acknowledgment that Burns should receive. Such pilfering of an idea taints the concept of originality and is a gross violation of Burns’ work. Originality is thought to be a keystone of good writing, and yet Steinbeck was able to create a masterpiece by mimicking the ideas of another author. His success is testament to the concept that originality is an unachievable feat, merely causing artists to pursue phantoms in their quest to conceive the inconceivable.
“Maybe it’s fate that Hound ate the map. Maybe we’ll discover soemthing wonderful while we’re lost.”-The Penderwicks

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:38 pm
retrodisco666 says...

Hi,

This is meant to be a comparison essay so I'm going on what I have been taught about them.

It is very biased which it is not meant to be. In particular the last paragraph, i'd take a lot of you out of it and make it detatched.

That is my only point :)

Other than I did not agree with you're last stanza. Steinbeck is brilliant and Of mice and men is by itself a solid piece and all credit should lie with it, i'm sorry, but it's my view.

It's good though :)

Keep it up!

~Retro Disco666
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:13 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

Hiya Booky! Here to review as requested!

First of all, I'd like to point out that I'm not very good when it comes to Non-Fiction reviews, so if you don't find me that helpful... Sorry :3. I absolutely adore Of Mice and Men, and until today, aI never realised that Steinbeck got his ideas from Robert Burns' poem. Anyhow, lets properly get on with this review! 8)

Firstly, you don't seem to have a clear introduction. I can see where it is, but then you've kind of put it with the next paragraph. In an introduction, you need to talk about what your essay is about, and where you are getting your references from (perhaps).

The best part of your essay is the way you've used fact and opnion. It's clear where you've gotten all of your argument and points from. A good way structuring paragraphs is using PEE. Yes, you're laughing hard now, aren't you? :P. This actually stands for Point Evidence Explanation. And then that's ALL that should be gone into your paragraph, nothing else, otherwise it will get too long.

Your conclusion isn't really that clear. I have to agree with retrodisc when he said that this is kind of baised, which it isn't supposed to be. I mean, that might have been what you had to do, did you have a success criteria? Anyway, try to sctructure your essay a bit more like this: Argument A, then how many points you'd like to talk about with that. Argument B, again, talk about it as much as you want. Then, a conclusion, stating what you think, and why. :)

Lastly, I'd like to pick on something. Your paragraphs are very long, and I think the layout was what annoyed me in this piece. When you're quoteing something, try and do it in the next line to space it out more. Read it over, and think about when you need a pause or a break. I've also noticed a few grammatical errors here, so revise it to see them.

Sorry, if I wasn't much help. Keep writing!
~Tamara :smt001 x
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:32 pm
TheAlphaBunny says...

Bunny here to review! Thank you for the request, and I'll try not to disappoint. ;)

First, I'll just give my over all thoughts. Despite a few random typos (those sneaky little buggers have a tendency to be over looked in essays), I thought the grammar and use of language was pretty solid. I didn't see anything that stood out as terribly wrong, so that makes my job a little easier. :) Considering I've never read either pieces mentioned, and this essay is probably geared toward an audience that has, I found that I was still able to pick up relatively well the ideas in both poem and prose and the point you were trying to get across. The thesis of this essay really is something I haven't seen before especially in a comparison essay, but that being said, felt that the intro and conclusion were disjointed from the body paragraphs. With such a bold statement as questioning the originality of Steinbeck's novel, that idea seemed to have been ignored through most of the essay. I understand that it is a comparison and the originality issue was brought up a few times, but amidst all the quotations and summarization of events I started to forget about what exactly I was reading.
The word “original” is often used to describe paintings that have been manufactured by hand, but it is not clear whether hand-made copies of work are still considered so. When an artist copies another’s art, is his own art original now that it has been tainted by the thoughts’ of others?

This introduction bothered me for a few reasons. It wasn't very clear or interesting, it didn't hook me and the analogy within is vague. I think it would have a greater impact to use a specific example of a commonly copied painting, such as the Mona Lisa or something to illustrate your comparison. The rest of the introduction also has this waveringly vague feeling to it, and I kept wondering if I had missed something important when I finished reading it.
Inspiration is necessary for all art, but by exploiting Burns’ poem, Steinbeck bastardizes the innocence of originality.

As interesting as this idea is, I have a feeling you started digging your own grave with this thesis. Again, it's a tad vague and has no jumping off point from which your body paragraphs to develop such as simplified reasons why you have this opinion. The opinion is there, for sure, but the support is lacking.
The credit that Steinbeck procures for his novel detaches from the acknowledgment that Burns should receive. Such pilfering of an idea taints the concept of originality and is a gross violation of Burns’ work. Originality is thought to be a keystone of good writing, and yet Steinbeck was able to create a masterpiece by mimicking the ideas of another author. His success is testament to the concept that originality is an unachievable feat, merely causing artists to pursue phantoms in their quest to conceive the inconceivable

I guess I'm a tad biased as far as reading such a Steinbeck-slamming essay as this considering he's one of my favorite authors, but that aside, I still find this ending a little inappropriate. You did well throughout the rest of the essay in keeping factual and non biased all up until this point. It's very opinionated and since I didn't find your body paragraphs to really support the infringement of originality argument so much as the two works' base comparisons, this seemed to come totally out of left field.

Well, I hope this review helped in any way. If anything, just keep a few points in mind when writing things like this.
The simpler the idea, the more refined and sturdy the thesis, the easier the essay will flow and the easier it will be to support your opinion. Make sure your introduction is both concise and illustrative. It needs to hook your audience as well as provide a good base for your essay. And make sure that your conclusion sums up your argument instead of hanging in dead space and that it is directly based off what was shown in your essay, not just an idea partially mentioned.

Just keep working at it, and things like this will become easier. :)
Much loves,
Bunny
"I can have oodles of charm when I want to." --Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

46 Reviews

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:07 am
bookworm27 says...

Thanks so much for everyones thoughts! I was not really sure whether this is a true comparison essay, as it also includes the overall theme of originality...also, as you all have noticed, grammar is far from my strong point! For my second draft I'll definitely clarify and reduce bias. Thanks again!
“Maybe it’s fate that Hound ate the map. Maybe we’ll discover soemthing wonderful while we’re lost.”-The Penderwicks

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:12 pm
Idraax says...

My first reaction to seeing this was "Ah! It's one big paragraph!" I have bad eyesight, so having things in one big paragraph makes it hard for me(and everyone else) to read. Plus it looks intimidating. Could you fix the formatting please. Anyway, I think your beginning could be a little clearer. I don't really understand this sentence "The word “original” is often used to describe paintings that have been manufactured by hand, but it is not clear whether hand-made copies of work are still considered so." I'm a little confused by the questions you ask. Are they rhetorical or are you going to answer them? This sentence was confusing too. ". Inspiration is necessary for all art, but by exploiting Burns’ poem, Steinbeck bastardizes the innocence of originality. " But, since it came at the end of your intro paragraph I'm assuming you'll explain it. You seem to have some type o's in this. Were you writing this in a hurry? Also, don't forget to italicize the name of the book title whenever you mention it. Your conclusion paragraph needs a little work. I didn't feel like it was summing up the whole paper. Otherwise, this is a good start and with a couple of changes could be even better.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

46 Reviews

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 pm
bookworm27 says...

Sorry about the formatting, I couldn't use the tab button, one it looks rather mushed. Also, I never really had the opportunity to recopy the edited version- I'll be sure to do that when I get a chance. The funny thing is that since I've joined yws- well maybe this is an overstatement but hey_
- my writing has become public, rather than just between me and my English teacher, so ive been putting extra thought into how the writing is viewed. So this is before I joined, and I just added it to my portfolio later, but the quality of work feels so different than my later ones, even though I was so proud of this. I suppose that it's a lesson that truthfully ""you can always run faster" of you get the meaning(:

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:19 pm
CardDragon says...

This is CardDragon.
For your notice, I am not good at reviewing essays for school.
Well I shall try to review your essay.
-
Well it was not very attractive for me to read it, and it was all bunched up( it helps certain people to read if there are spaces). Though the content of essay inside was something better than I could put together for the subject. Some of the sentences, I had to read over and over again. You might want to revise some of your sentences to were they are clearer.The essay made good points and reviewed common similarities and differences.
That is all, CardDragon.
[color=#FF0000]I AM SICK PHANTOM![/color]

46 Reviews

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:46 pm
bookworm27 says...

Thanks for your review! I'm trying to figure out spaces and everything, but thanks for the input!

When a body moves, it's the most revealing thing. Dance for me a minute, and I'll tell you who you are.
— Mikhail Baryshnikov