z

Young Writers Society

Non-Fiction: Q&A Thread

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:16 pm
BenFranks says...

Hello YWSers, please use this thread to ask any questions you have regarding Non-Fiction. My colleagues and I will do the best to answer any questions you may have.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I decide on my target audience?
The best way to do this is to take the subject you intend to write about and search for it through Google or an online News site. You should begin to realise through the style and complexity of the majority of the writing you will find. Also, use the most powerful thing you have: Common Sense. If you're going to write about politics, bear in mind that your audience isn't going to be the average Joe teen, if you're writing about cars, bear in mind that - in our society - the more likely audience will be males. Be generalistic in targetting writing. If you're unsure who your subject should appeal to, ask us in a post below.

What should I call my piece?
Don't go for the 'norm'. Remember that in Non-Fiction, everyone will conciously or subconciously base their initial interest on the title. Make it interesting, use different words, use rhetorical questions, etc. Make as much of an impact in that short space as you'd intend to do when using an opening line or finishing statement. At the same time, make it clear what your piece is about. Deceiving your readers will only lead to disappointment.

Why should I write Non-Fiction?
Many of us here are writers, and although the majority of us would rather become Novelists or Authors, we do not overlook the aspirations of journalism or writing as a profession. Hundreds of writers grow up and live their dreams by writing simple things such as press releases, book blurbs, critiquing/reviewing vast genres and items, or blogging their experiences. Non-Fiction covers all of this. We can have just as much fun and creative spur using the real inspirations of our world as we can imagining fantasies and dreams. Comedians, chefs, scientific researchers, columnists, journalists, PRs, advertisers, book critics and travellers all use Non-Fiction writing. It is a priceless form of writing.

Please ask further questions.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first.
— Mark Twain