z

Young Writers Society

5 Reasons Why YWS Is Better Than Every Other Website

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:28 am
Warrior Princess says...

I almost hate myself for joining the "Insert Number of Reasons Why" trend that is ravaging our beloved website, but I thought to myself, "Why not fight fire with fire?" This is something I'm pretty sure we can all agree on. However, if you're anything less than a dedicated YWS fanatic, you might want to stop reading right here. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Reason 1: Reviews, reviews, reviews!

YWS is, to my admittedly limited knowledge, the only website (or at least the only one anybody knows about) where you can not only share your work, but also get comprehensive peer reviews on it. I mean, there's nothing better for an aspiring writer than getting a solid review from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Your mom may think your story is terrific, and your dad may not be able to tell a comma from a lounge chair, but the kids on this site are legit. They'll give it to you straight, and sometimes I do believe they review by the principle "Revenge is a dish best served cold." In any case, you may join YWS a literary wreck, but like it or not, you will emerge a New York Times best-selling author. Well, maybe. But no money back if I'm wrong.

Reason 2: Custom Titles

What began as the little space beneath your username that listed your rank (Novice, Writer, Speaker of the Forum, etc.) has now grown into a full-scale creative phenomenon. I mean, where else can you have a special little place to be completely and utterly random? Unless, of course, you choose to be boring and use it for your rank, it has no purpose whatsoever except to serve the people. Some users are sticky about signatures (it has to be funny, it has to be deep, it has to be a quote, blah blah blah) and though you can get quite quirky with your location (Narnia, the toilet, the fourth dimension, etc.), it still has to be something that can be defined as a place. Not so with your custom title. It is yours and yours alone; and whether you want it to be about cupcakes or your favorite band or the end of the world, no one can justly nitpick it, because it is a custom title, in the purest sense of the word. Where else can you find something that compares to that?

Reason 3: Having your cake and eating it too

Let me explain. On Facebook, you can have friends, give information about yourself, and post statuses, right? Well, guess what: you can do that on YWS too! We've even got a "Like" button! So basically YWS has all the good qualities of Facebook combined with its own literary opportunities, in which Facebook and all other social networking sites are sadly lacking. In addition, you have at least one thing in common with every friend you make on YWS: we're all writers. So quit posting those self-pitying Myspace statuses about your miserable life and lack of friends and start connecting with people who are actually like you. And wipe that smile off your face. This is the army!

Reason 4: NO censorship!

When I post a status on Facebook, I oftentimes have to be very careful what I say, because I know that 417 people (some of whom I don't know, and some of whom know me too well) will be looking at it, and I don't want them thinking "Well! That is not the kind of girl I want my daughter hanging around!" or better yet "Oh she did, did she? I just might have to tell her parents that interesting tidbit." And I'm not just talking about language or whatever. You have no privacy, therefore no freedom of expression. No catharsis. But on YWS, you can write a page-length, over-the-top, emo/cutting/suicide/death/despair/darkness poem with no problem. I mean, you may get some pretty scathing reviews (guilty), but at least you know you're safe from the unfriendly stares of your community.

Reason 5: It's NOT a waste of time

Finally, a website frequented by young people that is actually worthwhile! Think about it. You could be chatting with your next-door neighbor on Facebook, listening to the latest Ke$ha monstrosity on Playlist, and/or engaging in a game that was probably designed by a 12-year-old boy for twelve-year-old boys, or you could be doing something that both enhances your writing abilities and helps you appreciate those of others. Which will get you farther in life: searching desperately for "gorgeous singles in your area" or honing your writing skills? Because in the end, we may be geeks, but we are the geeks who will shape the future--one heavily edited literary work at a time.

Thank you, YWS!
You must be swift as the coursing river,
With all the force of a great typhoon,
With all the strength of a raging fire,
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:20 am
TheWalkinDude says...

Again, I have clicked on one of these trending subjected pieces, and unlike the others, I find this one to have no way of attacking any person or people or anything like that. This was a great idea, and I'm honestly kind of jealous that I didn't think up the idea myself! Anyways, I know this is supposed to be a review, but, as far as I can tell, you didn't have any problems with grammar (or at least any bad misuses of improper grammar) or spelling. And content is amazing. I was caught from the very first line (actually, make that the title)and I couldn't stop reading whether I wanted to or not. Now, of course, as I've heard others say about the other trending pieces, if you wanted this to be like an actual article, you would maybe want to change the title to something like "Five Reasons Why: YWS is the Best Web Site" or something like that. But, other than that, I'm glad somebody wrote this, and this also makes me think if somebody else will start another one of these except about maybe why football is the best sport, or why the saxophone is the best instrument (just saying) or anything of that nature. Gotta say, this is a great kick off in the right direction for a trend that has only been making people angry.
I'm striving to be the Architect of the Apocalypse, Master of the Massacre, Ruler of the Rapture, and the Führer of the Fatal.

"It is the tale, not he who tells it." --Stephen King

Take THAT, society!

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:33 am
ultraviolet says...

*applauds* And you know why I like this so much? Because while pretty much all of the other "5 reasons why" posts are mostly opinion (and highly exaggerated opinion at that) this one is true, so true. Pretty much fact (except for maybe the last one about not being a waste of time. It depends on who you ask). I mean, I'm constantly not posting something on Facebook because then I'll have to explain it or because it reveals something I'd rather not or because I know people who would find it inappropriate. So for this, I applaud you. *applauds again*
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:53 am
fictionfanatic says...

whether you want it to be about cupcakes or your favorite band

Guilty of both of these. Hahahaha.

I really like this...what ever this may be.
Live, Love, Laugh

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:20 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

These are all the reasons I love this site! I can be on here for a straight hour and never feel like I'm wasting my time, like I do just goofing off on Facebook. This isn't really the sort of thing you review, but it was worth saying that this is awesome.
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 am
occasionalpessimist says...

Um, thank you for posting this. I can finally tell all my Farmville-addict friends that I'm a geek for the greater good. :D
Honestly, what's so great about planting a virtual farm?

I like this, and your comparison with Facebook is entirely true. Besides, this is WAY more addictive. Reviewing somebody else's work,and crossing your fingers for a return review... [shrugs meaningfully] Don't if you don't wanna, but I just had to give you something for this one! So have your Christmas cake, and Burj Khalifa souvenir (I live in Dubai). :D

Please do write more. :)
- Alexandra

P.S. I study in a GEMS school, so we've got the GEMS learning gateway,a sort of school-based Facebook. Juggling three social networking sites is no bother for me, but I spend more time on this one. I love YWS!
P.S.S. I bet Nate's real happy. :wink:
I'm not insane. You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Read my story, Elements: The Trilogy! page.php?id=900
Free cookie?

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:54 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Sucks to you, Facebook!

Preach, mate. Lovely work.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:15 pm
Razcoon says...

Brilliance, brilliance, brilliance. I could think of about 50 more reasons off the top of my head, but I think you did well enough with your five! ;)
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:18 pm
emmylove says...

I absolutely love this! :D

But one nitpick: I do know of another website that does this, but it's based in the USA rather than in Europe. I used to hang out there, but I actually like this one better :)
We've stayed until the very end.
This is real for us.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:11 pm
Razcoon says...

emmylove wrote:I absolutely love this! :D

But one nitpick: I do know of another website that does this, but it's based in the USA rather than in Europe. I used to hang out there, but I actually like this one better :)

YWS isn't based in Europe?
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:38 pm
IsebellaLynnette says...

This. Is. Totally. Awesome.

I think you summed up everything all of us writers on this site think about YWS. It's great, and though I'm not always able to get on, I know that I'll always have plenty of friends here to support me in almost anything I do. YWS is totally awesome, and for the reasons you mentioned above, I do not have a Facebook. Severe privacy issues on that site. But on YWS you really can be yourself. That, I think, is the best thing about this supportive writers' community. ;)

My two cents.
"There's a big difference between shooting a target and shooting a charging Wargal. A target isn't usually trying to kill you."
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice Book Two: The Burning Bridge

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:50 pm
Kaedee says...

How can I not agree with you? :P This piece made me even more grateful for YWS. Thanks for the read.

KD
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:21 pm
Yuriiko says...

I agree to everything you said, WPrincess. I actually use my vacant time here than on Facebook. :D
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:54 pm
Nutty says...

YWS is based in america.

This is awesome. I had started to dread the 5 reasons why pieces, but this one is actually pretty cool.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:13 am
MoonTitanZan says...

Great! That was hilarious, thank you. That made my day. I'm still quite new on the site and am busy ALL the time, so i haven't even been able to post any of my own work yet, but this has got me excited. You gave me a bit of perspective on what I should be focusing on and some insporation. Thank you :D
The Moon Titan is watching. He's always watching. So watch what you say, or you might just disappear.

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson