z

Young Writers Society

A letter of motivation. (For an internship.)

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:28 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Removed. Thanks for the critiques. ^^
Spoiler! :
Well, this is for an internship in undergrad research.
[spoiler]Please rip it apart and critique every little thing that annoys you.
I have also uploaded it as a Word document. If possible, could you look at it and tell me if my formatting is okay?

Also, as much as possible, please refrain from quoting. I will be removing the text once I submit my application.
Thanks. ^^
~~~~

~~~~
Thanks for reading. Critiques apreciated. ^^
~Lava
[/spoiler]
Last edited by Lava on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:47 pm
View Likes
Meep(: says...

Here you go, Lava! Hope it helps, though I'm unfamiliar with such things xD
-attachment removed-
Last edited by Meep(: on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:09 pm
View Likes
Master_Yoda says...

Hi Lava

On the whole I think this is a very nice essay. You come across as a confident and skilled girl. There are a couple of points I'd like to make. I hope they help:

To begin with, grammar in essays like this is vital. You can't afford to break any rules here as they don't want to see your poetry or story telling abilities, but rather your personality, academic prowess in the field of biotechnology, and your ability to communicate with them. Don't begin a sentence with "and" in this essay.

For the same reason, I would try to keep my sentences and paragraphs functional in style. You don't want to come across as telling a story. While you are no doubt great with descriptions and comparisons, they want content. Try to give that to them without wasting any of their time. Anything that doesn't inform them of your personality, academic prowess, or ability to communicate should be deleted. Yes, that means all the poetic stuff.

While what I said above is true, you want your essay to flow a little more and not come across like a list in certain places. For example, your paragraphs with your achievements come across as choppy. I would group all your achievements together in a paragraph as testament to your prowess rather than going through each independently. And try to develop a bit more of a flow from one paragraph to the next.

You also have several remarkably long and confusing sentences in the middle of the essay. I'd break these down into medium length sentences.

Also, this is just me, but I wouldn't suck up and say how it would be an honor for you and how they are an esteemed institution. That's blatant and ineffective. Just say you'd like to do the internship and feel you are an appropriate candidate.

I'd also modify the end and summarize that you have experience and skill together with the dreams and drive to perform.

This really isn't my forte, but I hope I helped in any case.
Have a great one!
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:38 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

This is good. The tone is nice and formal. I'm assuming that you'll substitute the actual name, for the xxx, when you submit it. I didn't really like your beginning. I think maybe you could expand it a bit more. Perhaps give an example of one of the intricacies that you found fascinating. Also, spell out whatever acronyms you use to make things clearer. For example I interned at NSRC which if it wasn't spelled out originally could mean either National Science Resources Center, National Sexuality Resource Center or Network Startup Resource Center. See my point? I love your ending bit. Sorry I couldn't look at the Word formatting, but I'm using my mother's iPad so no downloading. Good letter! Good luck with getting the internship!:)
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown