z

Young Writers Society

Finnish music

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:04 am
Lord Anzius says...

A brief a generalized report on Finnish music.

What is Finnish music? Really? You want to know?
Finnish music is originally drinking songs. All the oldest songs are drinking songs or religious songs or "humppa".
Why? We're alcoholics, yes I know it's a very stereotypical way of putting it, but Finnish people start drinking at the age of 14 normally, and parties continue for a long time. I am not excluded, and I find no shame in saying that I love the song "juodaan viinaa" (Let's drink booze!) which has been a loved and admired drinking song since it first appeared.
But all these drinking songs are hidden to the outside world, or clocked. How? Well firstly, no one can understand Finnish. Secondly, we also sing (or sang) pop. It wasn't just any pop music, it was FINNISH pop music! Old original Finnish pop music was horrible, the singers couldn't sing and there were only a handful of people who were any good.

But all that is history (except the drinking songs which are fine). These day Finland is the promised land of heavy music, metal, etc.
We are the metal people!
We have Children of Bodom, 69 eyes, nightwish and Lordi!

And then the less globally known bands that I love (which are industrial metal) Turmion Kätilöt and 2 times terror.

I have taken the liberty of adding the words of one TK's songs here (it is the translated version of the lyrics since I know most of you can't read Finnish). The song is called 4 käskyä (4 commands):

I march
Over
Over you
And dance over you
Sound
My scream
Makes you shake your fists at the sky

I command
My order forces your feet to move
Ideology
Your faith
Lights up the skies

Beat, march, destroy, clear
I command, you believe

Attention
Squat
Up
Stay
Sit
(Get) On the ground
Down
Listen

Pray, beg for mercy, kneel, and cross your arms
Miserable faithless are being strangled and faith doesn't want you

I command you believe
I command
I march
I dance
Attention

Finnish music is depressing by nature (Finnish rap [hiphop] and drinking songs excluded), and deals with death, love etc etc. Depressing subjects. On this subject of depressing topics I would like to say that I love TK because although their lyrics are quite sick or depressing... or both, they resonate with the darkness within me, and anyone with any darkness in them will know what I mean. When TK sings about false gods and death and aggressiveness I start moshing and my aggressiveness levels rise and I start singing with them.

It is a funny fact how our national anthem's melody was originally a German drinking song.

As a conclusion about Finnish music I would say that we are the people of heavy music, that have a history of icky pop songs, and a future in highly "fly" hiphop.
To copy reality is good... But to create reality is much, much better.
-Giuseppe Verdi-

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:11 pm
WaitingForLife says...

M'lord Lord Anzius,
I cometh here humbly to review thy text. :D

Jokes aside, I thought this was a good account of Finnish music. I personally hate Finnish music, (mostly the ones that are actually singed in Finnish) but I agr with a lot of your views. Finnish people as a whole seem to like exposing themselves to pain and tend to have a weak spot for - I'm not sure if this is an actual word, but I know you know it - angsting.
You've pretty much captured the realistic truth of the way many Finnish people think (alcohol, angsting, women, etc.) and for that I salute you. To those who aren't Finnish, I second Anzius' opinion on this matter.
-------------------------------------------------------
Alrighty then, there were just a few nitpicks I found, but here they are anyhow:

A brief and generalized report on Finnish music.

I love the song "Juodaan viinaa"

Just missing the capital "J" here.

But all these drinking songs are hidden to the outside world, or clocked.

I have no idea what you meant by "clocked" here, maybe clear it up a little?

Also, you were missing a few capital letters with the names of a few bands.
---------------------------------------------

Just check those few things and you're good to go. As a quick note, I escpecially like your.... third last paragraph I think? Well, anyway, the one talking about the darkness inside of you jada jada . :D I agree with you on this part completely, I just listen to non-Finnish bands, but otherwise I feel exactly the same when listening to the same type of music.

Humbly yours m'lord,
|WaitingForLife|
Call me crazy; I prefer 'enjoys life while one can'.
-------
The pen's mightier than the sword - especially when it's wielded by a flipmothering dragon.
-------
◥▶◀◤

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney