z

Young Writers Society

A speech on bullying

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:58 am
Mickeystwin33 says...

The city of Mentor, Ohio was voted one of the “100 best places to live” this year by CNN and Money magazine, however four teenagers in this town did not see it that way. They were bullied and committed suicide as a result of that. Four innocent lives taken by their own hands in a matter of only two years. Each one had their own horror story. These are just a few of the many that have committed suicide due to bullying.
Bullying has been around ever since mankind has learned of our ability to reason. People neglect to put their ability to good use. And for that reason everyday there are people who are bullied and people who bully others. Bullying is a serious issue that effects everyone. Everyone has either been a victim of a bully, bullied someone, or knows someone who has been bullied. There is none left untouched; everyone is effected. Sometimes people are bullied by classmates, family members, and sometimes by complete and total strangers. Bullying affects everyone, but what is it?
According to the Webster’s Dictionary, a bully is a person who is mean and cruel to weaker people. Surprisingly, the same dictionary tells us that the word ‘bully’ was an archaic word that meant ‘sweetheart.’ And what does a bully look like? Bullies don’t wear signs to warn us of their presence. And bullies may not even be loud and obnoxious or easy to hear as they approach. Bullies, like their victims, come in all sizes, shapes and colors. Bullies look just like you and me.
No matter what the appearance of the bully, he has many methods and weapons at his disposal to use against his victims. In the past, bullies have made use of the unplugged methods of hurting their victims: they gossip, they physically attack, they verbally wound, and they emotionally cripple. But bullies today have become more creative thanks to electronic inventions that have allowed them to plug in and really do some cyber damage. The National Crime Prevention Center over 40% of all teenagers that have Internet access have reported being bullied online. Cyber-bullying may not seem dangerous, but it’s one of the hardest to track and stop.
Now that we know what the definition of what a bully is, we wonder, why do people bully? People bully for as many reasons as there are stars in the sky. A bully may tease someone because the bully believes that he is superior to his victims. A bully may tease some because he wishes he was superior to his victim, or a bully may tease someone because he was a victim of bullying himself. Bullying in his mind, is an okay thing to do, but he doesn’t realize--or he just doesn’t care-- how much damage he does to the other person.
According to the National Education Association everyday 160,000 students will miss school for fear of being bullied. Many turn to cyber school, but even there cyber-bullies prowl. As the bullying gets worse the persons pain grows. They begin to find it easier to agree with the bully then deny him, and blame themselves for being bullied. Some even blame themselves for all the problems of this world. Many, far too many, commit suicide.
Suicide is the murder of one’s own self, but in most cases it is motivated by an abuser, and bullying is abuse. According to the National Youth Violence Protection Resource Center 1 in every 12 teenagers attempted suicide last year. Many people don’t understand suicide. How can your life be so awful that you have to end it? The truth is you can’t understand it until you have been bullied to the point were you have to cry yourself to sleep, wishing that you won’t wake up the next morning, and you awake to face the torture that awaits you. After living in constant fear, some feel the only way out is in death. Once you reach that point you can never return to normality, and many spend their lives with low self-esteem wondering what they did wrong?
So how do you stop it? What can we do to put an end to the madness? All you have to do is stopping hurting people and start helping others. Instead of making fun of people compliment them. It will help you both. I know not everyone will listen to me and bullying will never end, but if we can prevent at least one child from having to go through that torture, then isn’t it worth it. If you see someone being bullied stand up for them. Don’t be afraid! Instead of walking away or just standing and watching, stand up for them. It will help you and them more then you will ever know.
Think, if only the city of Mentor, Ohio would have heard to this message. Then, they might have been able to save those four lives. If only they had been able to see the pain and heartache those four teenagers had been feeling. Then, they might have been able to save them. For those innocent lives it is too late, but it’s not too late for the rest of the world. We can prevent this from happening again. If we can end bullying we might just be able to save a few precious lives, from the harsh and hurtful affects of bullying, or we can continue bullying and see how many more lives we can destroy.
Last edited by Mickeystwin33 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I may not be the brightest crayon in the box. I might not be the prettiest, shiniest or favorite. I might not be anything to anyone, but yet I'm still in the box.

There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in. - Chris Colfer

I love you all, and thank you for reading my posts

Random avatar

Reviews: 136
Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 am
fiction903 says...

I thought that your speech was okay. I feel like it is lacking rational organization and at some points it is a hodgepodge of subjects stuck together at random.This is how I would organize your speech: What is bulling,What causes people to be bullies,How does bulling effect the victim, Suicide, Closing.When you are doing a speech always save your strongest point for last. Secondly I noticed some errors and odd wording that you might want to fix.
he has many methods and weapons at his disposal to use against his victims.
Use wepons and take out methods because it sounds better to use one word or the other, not both.
unplugged methods
I think that this sounds childish and that you should use somthing else.
they physically attack, they verbally wound, they emotionally cripple.
Doesn't verbally wound and emotionally cripple basically mean the same thing?
Hopefully this helps you. Have a good day. fiction

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:16 am
purplepen says...

I thought that overall, it was a nice speach. Exspecially the last couple of paraghraphs. I felt really motivated. And, I completelly agree with you. You had some very good points and reasonings that supported your cause. I also liked how you used statistics. They always help to prove a point. Although, I think you could be alittle more organized. But other than that, it was very nice. Great job!
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
~Joshua 24:15

@(^_^)@<--- This is review monkey. He says hi!

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:28 pm
Idraax says...

Mickeystwin33 wrote:(Note: This is a speech I have written, but i can't decide if it should be informative or persuasive any opinion will help.Also the things in bold are stats that I need more information for. Un-note)

The Mentor School District in Ohio is being sued after four teenagers committed suicide in the past two years due to bullying. Each one had their own horror story from being bullied. These are just a few of the many that committed suicide due to bullying. Shouldn’t bullying be stopped? Can you give us more of a lead in here? This doesn't seem like a good hook.
Bullying has been around severever since mankind has learned of our ability to reason. People neglected to put their ability to reason to good use. And for that reason everyday there are people who are bullied and people who bully others. Bullying is a serious issue that effects everyone. Everyone has either been a victim of a bully, bullied someone, or knows someone who has been bullied. There is none left untouched;I believe that this would have more impact if you split it up into two sentences. everyone is effected. Recent studies show that 96% of people will be bullied at some point in their life, sometimes they are bullied by classmates, sometimes by family members, and sometimes by complete and total strangers.You need a better citation here. Bullying affects everyone, but what is it?
According to the Webster’s Dictionary, a bully is a person who is mean and cruel to weaker people. Surprisingly, the same dictionary tells us that the word ‘bully’ was an archaic word that meant ‘sweetheart.’ And what does a bully look like? Bullies don’t wear signs to warn us of their presence. And bullies may not even be loud and obnoxious and easy to hear as they approach. Bullies, like their victims, come in all sizes, shapes and colors. Bullies look just like you and me.
No matter what the appearance of the bully, he has many methods and weapons at his disposal to use against his victims. In the past, bullies have made use of the unplugged methods of hurting their victims: they gossip, they physically attack, they verbally wound, they emotionally cripple. But bullies today have become more creative thanks to electronic inventions that have allowed them to plug in and really do some cyber damage.
Now that we know what the definition of what a bully is, we wonder, why do people bully? People bully for as many reasons as there are stars in the sky. A bully may tease someone because the bully believes that he is superior to his victims. A bully may tease some because he wishes he was superior to his victim, or a bully may tease someone because he was a victim of bullying himself. Bullying in his mind, is an okay thing to do, but he doesn’t realize--or he just doesn’t care-- how much damage he does to the other person.
According to the National Education Association everyday 160,000 students will miss school for fear of being bullied. Many turn to cyber school, but even there cyber-bullies prowl. As the bullying gets worse the persons pain grows. They begin to find it easier to agree with the bully then deny him, and blame themselves for being bullied. Some even blame themselves for all the problems of this world. Many, far too many, commit suicide.
Suicide is the murder of one’s own self, but in most cases it is motivated by an abuser, and bullying is abuse. According to the National Youth Violence Protection Resource Center 1 in every 12 teenagers committed suicide last year. Many people don’t understand suicide. How can your life be so awful that you have to end it? The truth is you can’t understand it until you have been bullied to the point were you have to cry yourself to sleep, wishing that you won’t wake up the next morning, and you awake to face the torture that awaits you. After living in constant fear, some feel the only way out is in death. Once you reach that point you can never return to normality, and many spend their lives with low self-esteem wondering what they did wrong?
It also has many affects on the bully 1 out of every 4 bullies will have a criminal record before the age of thirty. They get in trouble over something they learned on the playground. ----------------These dashes shouldn't be here.

So how do you stop it? What can we do to put an end to the madness? All you have to do is stopping hurting people and start helping others. Instead of making fun of people compliment them. It will help you both. I know not everyone will listen to me and bullying will never end, but if we can prevent at least one child from having to go through that torture, then isn’t it worth it.
If you see someone being bullied stand up for them. Don’t be afraid! Instead of walking away or just standing and watching, stand up for them. It will help you and them more then you will ever know. Maybe back in the beginning of time they couldn’t stop bullying, but why can’t we? Stop bullying. Start being nice. You could save a life.

This is informative. I understand you're writing a speech, but please cite! Where did you get the 96% from? What recent studies? What if we want to go back and check your facts? We can't do that without a proper citation. For an informative paper this is very good. If you were intending for it to be a persuasive paper, it needs work. Appeal to the emotions! Add some personal stories in there. Make your listeners emphasize with the victim. Make them feel like they are the victim. This is good. Some of the facts were really surprising. Good job. :)
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:26 am
BarcodedKami says...

Your points on bullying are all very good. There is just one thing that slightly irked me whilst reading you wrote:
No matter what the appearance of the bully, he has many methods and weapons at his disposal to use against his victims.
You refer to the bully as "he". I'm sure you had no mean to imply something but a bully can be of either gender so i would suggest changing that. Otherwise it was great. :)

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:10 am
ExposedSoul says...

This is a very well written speech and I have only two suggestions:

I know not everyone will listen to me and bullying will never end, but if we can prevent at least one child from having to go through that torture, then isn’t it worth it.
This is a question and therefore requires a question mark.

four teenagers in this town did not see it that way. They were bullied and committed suicide as a result of that.

those four lives

This sounds very impersonal and it feels like I'm merely reading a statistic. I would suggest giving the reader/listener a paragraph of background on these four teenagers.
ExPoSeD sOuL

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:45 am
Micheley says...

I don't know how to cross out anything so the underlined things is what needs to go. and the red is what could be added.

All you have to do is stopping hurting people and start helping others.

I know not everyone will listen to me and bullying will never end, but if we can prevent at least one child from having to go through that torture, then isn’t it worth it.

I think that should be a question.

If you see someone being bullied, stand up for them

Then, they might have been able to save those four lives.

If we can end bullying we might just be able to save a few precious lives, from the harsh and hurtful affects of bullying, or we can continue bullying and see how many more lives we can destroy.

Overall, this was very motivating to get out there and actually do something against bullying.
The use of the four teenagers in just two years is great. I love how you use them in not just the beginning, but the end as well. Great job (:
& maybe it's true
We don't know what we have till we lose it
But maybe it's also true
We don't know what we're missing
Till we [find it]

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James