z

Young Writers Society

Enough

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:35 pm
View Likes
S.S. Rose says...

Have you ever opened your eyes while underwater? Objects are blurred; colors and boundaries smeared like a toddler’s finger-paint. Sounds are elongated and slurred, muffled gurgles manipulated by the press of water. I sometimes think that every individual is, at one point in life, drowning in their own reservoir of ignorance. Perspectives are dulled by an iron veil and the oceans that separate our personal world from the others seem, at times, impregnable. Though the hurricanes may rage above our heads, we are deaf to them until at last we make a decision to surface.

Opportunity came in the elder days of summer. It was nearly mid-August, marking the beginning of the greatly anticipated youth group trip to Schenectady, New York. Every year the group joined our sister church in Dwaynesburg, renovating was to be an urban chapel of sorts, a sanctuary for Bible studies, and a refuge for searching children. It was called the Lighthouse.

I remember sitting in the car during the three-hour journey, blissfully silent, eyelids half-closed to let in the golden light. Voices like vivid stars danced around me: the chatter of these inseparable companions, each dear laugh like a song you know so well. The great body of the Grace Church youth group was a jumble of arms and legs, eyeballs and oddly coiled brain matter. Evamarie was a mismatched iris at odds with its twin, brimming with bizarre poetry and endearing whims. Olivia, her sister, possessed a reserved spirit caught at the heels by her bashfulness. I wonder if any of us really saw her truly, she hid so well in her timidity. Alex, a fervent and expressive girl, was utterly engulfed by every emotion. Our brothers were Nathanael and Sam; Josh and Jo, a dark and watchful boy who rarely spoke; and Randal. My sister and I were the newest additions, taking on and molding the characteristics of each friend. We all existed in the same sphere of life: well-situated in the suburbs of a clean and prosperous town, raised in the church and exuding the brightness of our faith in God and love for one another.

Upon our arrival at the dairy farm that was to be the temporary home for the female representatives of our group, we were clapped on the nose with the sharp tang of cow manure. My sister and I watched intently as each experienced eye lit up at the odor, the key to unbind a chest of dusty memories.

We slept in a funny little shack christened the Huck, which means “little house” in some obscure language. Probably Russian: Evamarie had a weakness for anything Russian. It was filled with dust and old cat hair, but I remember the happy reek of burnt waffles, the sweet, queer taste of cheese with strawberry jam (a newfound delicacy), and an exploded vacuum cleaner that tormented our eyes and clotted our lungs with ancient detritus. After long, dew-doused nights that breathed the gentle hum of fans, the sun would rise upon the striated, quilt-covered hills and glittering viridian trees of the countryside. Mornings of scalding, oversweet coffee, communal prayer and private contemplation gave way, in turn, to the rhythmic fall of hammers and the buzzing drill of nails. The afternoons would be covered in white dust and delicious perspiration worn like a medal of honor on our backs. Physical labor would end and finally it would come: the late afternoon.

During the summer months prior to our annual trip, the group prepared for those late afternoons, composing puppet shows and trying on words and colors like bright dresses. It was like trying to decipher a code, to speak in the way of these children so alienated from us by age and situation. Upon entering the inner city of Schenectady, it was almost as if someone had placed an invisible gate between a certain pair of oak trees, some enchanted portal to convey automobiles and passers-by to a different planet entirely. We, my friends and I, were ambassadors in a desert of sorrows, carrying before us a Light that we weren’t sure how to distribute.

The ministry included canvassing the neighborhood, knocking on each door to distribute flyers proclaiming the evening’s “Bible Club”: crafts, snacks, prayer, and puppet shows. How do you think we looked? White kids with nice hair and clothes, utterly incongruous amongst the impoverished mass of souls, of stares and bold speculation – sometimes even of outright resentment. Someone once said that poverty can’t be understood when it is viewed on a television screen or when it lies as easily ignored as a feather-wisp of cloud across town. No, it is not until it fixes you with a demon’s glare, than you converse with the fallen and watch the reflection in their eyes that you might begin to comprehend it.

The children’s eyes flash bright in my memory. They came hesitantly at first, unsure of this new intrusion. Some followed us as we canvassed, congregating around our legs. They regarded us as one might observe an exotic species of bird, much in the way I looked at them. Part of me was afraid of them, frightened of chasing them away with my rehearsed speech and obvious ignorance. I wanted to know the children so badly that I probably disgusted some of them, especially the older ones who sought the answers I didn’t have. Fortunately, most of my concealed misgivings went unfounded, for after the children studied us for awhile, a certain something must have been recognized in our faces. They began to talk, gushing stories and confidences too heavy for a child to bear; the very fount of their inner lives unlocked by the kindness in our voices, maybe, and the light, the wise and beautiful light of God.

However, some possessed no words and translated their conflicting emotions into action. Eli was a diminutive boy with pale eyes ever turned to his almost doll-like feet. He rarely raised them, and when he did they radiated caution and muted distrust. His clothes were worn and his scent was of stale urine and neglect. Shyness and dirt darkened the corners of his mouth like pencil smudges. When we began to sing songs about Father Abraham and ditties about a short man in a tree, Eli curled his slender hand around mine. The summer evening gathered and rushed then, and I noticed his fingernails, painted in fading rainbow by some ignored and restless girl. He sat upon our shoulders, waving his arms at the bleeding sky.

His sister, an infant named Piper whose mother no one had seen, had blue, birdlike eyes that gleamed like inquisitive sapphires beneath a shock of stringy orange hair. Like her brother, filth encrusted the dimples of her cheeks and the puffy skin of her eyes.

But my arm couldn’t reach the older ones, too tough and proud to join the circle of the young and resilient. They lined the outskirts of the crowd like moons in aimless orbit, drawn to something; perhaps they weren’t sure what – the spirit of unlikely hope and outlandish promise. One boy spoke about his life – rather, his imprisonment. A driving need to end my own blindness caused me to listen zealously. He desired nothing more than to leave his diseased community, being one of the few who spotted in time the bright gem of education. His only regret was for the lives he left behind him in the dust.

Thus I knelt behind the homemade screen, waving puppets and stringing bracelets for clumsy hands, uttering the words I’d rehearsed with such desperate passion. The breeze of falling twilight swayed the burdened boughs of the trees and the night settled around us. With painful reluctance, the emissaries extricated themselves from the children’s grasp and turned their backs to the seat of war. They, the destitute, had embraced our presence and our absence brought bewildered tears that trailed behind our exit.

Nightfall is onerously silent in the countryside, a black cotton mantle laden with stars. In a moment of relished solitude, I pondered each face, praying for the consummation of peace. In a way I was just as lost as they were, fumbling around in mysteries. Their tears and mine, fresh upon a shadowed cheek, were counted and held in a crystalline bottle by the same gentle hand. From the depths of my secluded corner, I gazed up at the broken heavens, trembling before their graceful might. I began to hum a whispered hymn, and ached with the intimate words.

I felt my confinement lift like fog from Schenectady mornings, and I finally understood.

It was just a puppet show. We didn’t clothe, shelter, wash or feed them. They had been denied the barest necessities of life, and yet we sang songs and offered bracelets of colored beads. My God reveals Himself in perplexing ways. Was I to believe that the passion of His gospel was embodied within the simple words of children? We ourselves could never have been adequate, but I know of One whose blood covers us all. Words are enough when He speaks through them, enough to sever the chains that bind us. Enough to free us, to lead us, to cause us to rise and go forth – to follow Him.

Long my imprisoned spirit lay fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quick’ning ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free;
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
Amazing love! How can it be that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

~Charles Wesley, Psalms and Hymns, 1738

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:51 am
View Likes
Moksha says...

I must say... I envy this. The language is beautiful. Almost too so. You have an incredible imagination that's for sure.

However I was surprised by where you went with your thoughts on the experience. The last paragraph shows some interesting thinking in how you interpret the karma of the weekend. Your song and dance was a simple but always valuable offering to any member of society. So you did especially good in offering that to impoverished children.

I see your reference to Christ in the last paragraph. I just like to offer the perspective to Christians that if you are really going to accept the idea of One's blood who covers us all, you should also realize the blood everything covers us all. If you take a step back out of mythology you can realize stories for their symbolism. Christ and the Holy Spirit are similar to the Yang and Yin respectively. So I see the message of Christ embodied in all tangible and the Holy Spirit in all energies. Just spirituality talk.

Good story though. I'll probably read it again.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:45 pm
View Likes
Moksha says...

I liked what you wrote about the hurricanes. Upon awakening we find love and beauty as well as hate and destruction. In between both is chaos that is simultaneously the puzzle fitting together. Everything is as it should be. If it wasn't there would be no one like you to spread good vibes to those in struggle. I don't know about a reservoir of ignorance though. With the way we're cultured the ignorance is at the forefront while our reservoir or subconscious is some sort eternal energy passed down through the history of life and creation, in tune with something beyond ourselves. Beyond our ego, beyond our ignorance. That is the reservoir I like to tap into.

"Each dear laugh like a song you know so well." This is beautiful as I'm sure everyone can relate to this. Especially in this mental state of relaxation drifting towards unconscious mind. The voices of loved ones vibrate softly in your heart. Good call.

Your writing is very organized. For example you making it set the background of your group. This was good at giving a good feel of the contrasts between your church group and the other children from your perspective on the experience.

The experience sounds like it is told out of a dream with how you described the setting of the house you stayed in. I especially liked the Oak tree portal into another world. It is another feature that gives a dreamlike impression of your experience, which I am beginning to think is how it felt for you. These dreamlike experiences are probably an everyday experience for you, and help you capture the energy and vibes of your surroundings, if only with words. That is a great accomplishment.

You had a noble mission, that many may carry great pride into, however you speak of humility while in the face of real struggle. Your self doubts do well in connecting the reader to what it is like to be in a completely new situation.

The mention of god's light is great for a religious audience. But imagine writing for the whole world and all perspectives. They may not agree or may not even understand if they chose not to see god. In my opinion, there is secret mention of god if instead of mentioning the wise and beautiful light of god it is said that in their stories were flowing with truths about the nature of reality. Haha. I don't know. God Sounds better. But something along those lines. Again it is only my opinion there is no mention of god so there is no turn off to any readers. (I see you did write much about God, so the audience must be religious)

I found myself at your whims in the paragraph about Eli. At first I was like, "Why describe a human in such a manner? Emphasizing the ugliness." Then that was shattered by the idea of his rainbow painted nails. Also.... Why is the Sky bleeding?

We are all lost, and we are all found. It's up to us to be able to see it, because it's there.

I hope you realize the same hope from god for all those "destitute" or "impoverished" In many ways all of us are in the same chains.

Good story!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:49 pm
View Likes
greg925 says...

I think I like this just as much as I enjoyed reading Erased. No matter how many times I read this, there are just not enough words or ways in which I can describe how your point of view just makes this story always bring a tear to my eye.

I like the style of narriration you use. Like your poems, it paints a very vivid picture of two different worlds, and the reluctants you felt in trying to reach this particular community. I must say, I respect you guys for what you did and what the ministry continues to do in these communities. It's never easy, but a simple act of love and kindness towrds those who are "different" can always make a world of difference. That's what I got from this, and I hope I got it right.

Very good story.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 pm
foreveradreamer says...

Very good story! I absolutely loved it. It kept me interested and was written amazingly well.

Spend your days thinking about things that are good and true and beautiful and noble, and you will become good and true and beautiful and noble.
— Matthew Kelly