z

Young Writers Society

Ginger-Mania?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:05 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

Baroness Ink wrote:In short, I am muchly confused. :D Try clarifying it for the brunettes in the U.S., if you don't mind. I couldn't draw much from this. >->"

Basically, red/ginger hair is seen as comical, and something to take the p**s out of - a way of exploiting one's vulnerability. Much like if someone made comments about someone having braces, or being fat. Gingerphobia is becoming increasingly worse, apparently, and has even hit headline news. Personally, I'm not particularly bothered by a person's hair colour, but chavs have this unnatural desire to insult anyone and everyone. Quite hypocritical, really, coming from people with black teeth, smoky breath, and disgustingly greasy hair. But, then, they ARE the scum of the earth.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:35 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

KazSmurf wrote:Personally, I'm not particularly bothered by a person's hair colour, but chavs have this unnatural desire to insult anyone and everyone. Quite hypocritical, really, coming from people with black teeth, smoky breath, and disgustingly greasy hair. But, then, they ARE the scum of the earth.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah! I've lived in the Great Melting Pot all my life, I don't usually take a second look when people have, like, purple or red (actually, you know, blood RED) hair. ^_^ Thank you for clearing that up.

Wow...
ohmeohmy

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:42 am
Leja says...

Aaaaaaaaaaaah! I've lived in the Great Melting Pot all my life, I don't usually take a second look when people have, like, purple or red (actually, you know, blood RED) hair. ^_^

Yeah; people in my school will dye their hair blue or green, so it just seems so... random to me. I think ginger hair is pretty!

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:40 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

I'd love to believe that England is the worst place to be a ginger, but Australia is just plain terrible. My part of it in particular. I can't do laps of the oval near my house without being abused. Of course, the generally accepted derogitory term for 'us' is 'ranga'. It truly is an ugly word, and sounds like a flock of angry birds the way people accentuate it.

Even my friends constantly remind me of the fact. I'll be in an argument with one, totally prove them wrong, and they'll conclude with "Yeah... well... you have red hair." Most of the time they believe this wins them the argument. 'Tis a sad thing.

Anyway, well summed up in this piece of writing, especially for those of us that know the pain all too well. Well done, and keep resisting the temptation to dye.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:45 pm
logosgal says...

:shock: Whoa, so you're saying that people actually abuse you for having red hair?? :evil: I've never heard of such a thing! In the U.S., we have a lot of blonde jokes, but most people aren't actually mean-spirited about it. (At least, not in my experience, but I have brown hair...) The reason for the blonde jokes here, I think, is that for a long time, blonde was a really popular hair color, and girls would dye their hair blonde, wanting to be popular. So there's a bit of a stereotype that blondes are shallow and empty-headed. I admit that I have told a few blonde jokes before, but I'm pretty sure that everyone listening knew I didn't mean it. I have known some very intellegent and thoughtful blondes, and my best friend in middle school was a redhed. Like Sumi and Amelia, I've lived in the U.S. my whole life, and hair color really isn't an important factor when I meet someone. At most, it's an easy way to tell one person from another. I like all the different hair colors!

Is there a reason for the "gingerphobia" over there, or did someone just randomly decide to pick on redheds?

Oh, and what are "chavs?" I've never heard that term until I read this thread.
Home is where the books are.

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:42 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Edited mateys.

;)

What a riveting conversation it did stir up, back then.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken