Alternative Faith

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:49 pm
Firestarter says...

ALTERNATE FAITH

Break from the World Religions

In the Judeo-Christian western country in which we live, it is hard to escape the grasp the mainstream religions that grace or plague, depending on your perception, our daily lives. Just walking down the street in such a multi-cultural society it is unavoidable. Churches appear every few streets, catering for the massive following, the influx of immigrants grants the sight of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, everybody. The ancient joining of religion with education influences us from the early years of our life in school. It is a well-known fact that drilling stories into children’s minds will create the person they grow up to be.

But why should religion be limited to the easily accessible options? When you choose the film you want to watch, do you only look at the popular ones? When you buy music, do you look at the chart and limit yourself to only the top three? In most cases, the answers would be no. If a million people believe a foolish thing, it’s still a foolish thing. Popularity does not equal plausibility or precision.

So why do people when searching for their faith look at only the seven World Religions? Do they even consider there may be, perhaps, more credible alternatives that offer a philosophy that could match their own more specifically? It is testament to this fact that thousands of people are often unhappy in their chosen religion – trapped by laws they do not agree with, nor understand, stuck in a crisis of beliefs, never knowing what to do. Surely if the main religions were so ingenuous, everybody would follow them? As always, nothing is perfect.

-------------

This is part of a article for my school newspaper. I'm not putting the rest down because I don't want to create a religious debate. I'd rather you comment on my writing, please.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:07 am
DarkerSarah says...

Very, very well written, and a very plausible theory. There is a very nice flow to this piece. Your thoughts are balanced, and have theoretical evidence to back them up. Writing nonfiction is extremely hard for me, and so I really respect those who can write it well.

As for you theory, I am a bit less enthusiastic. There is safety in numbers, everyone knows this. The majority of us are totally influenced by those around us. Very few, if any, escape the boundaries of the normal and find themselves completely independent of all aspects of society. We do not just appear on this earth, we are raised. We are raised the way our parents chose to raise us, most often how their parents chose to raise them. There is comfort in tradition. I am Christian because my parents areChristian, whose parents are Christian. I am happy with my beliefs...why should I bother to change them?

But, oy, this is not the debate thread.

You would make an amazing journalist.

-Sarah

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:13 am
Bobo says...

On the other hand, there are more fingers. Additionally, although it might be foolish, it is likely that a large number of people believe in something because it's true. Truth tends to attract people, although many other forces try to push us away from it. Anyways, I'm curious to know what you mean by the "seven World Religions."

Aaack! I almost posted without telling you how well this was written. It was short and to the point, and used real logic instead of just saying what everyone else says, which is mostly very stupid and half-baked. Good job!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:38 am
Sam says...

Ha ha.

Talking about Drunkism, there, Firestarter?

oh gosh...after reading this we seriously need you in the news group. You're good at writin g in an ariticle format...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:44 pm
Firestarter says...

Well, I'm not gonna respond much to anything regarding the actual information in the article, because I really don't want a debate. All I'm going to say is I think people should have an open mind and look at all possibilities.

But thanks for the comments.

You would make an amazing journalist.

I'm hoping one day I can be a magazine journalist, so thanks very much for that comment! *blush*

oh gosh...after reading this we seriously need you in the news group. You're good at writin g in an ariticle format...

Ooh...I'll join that if you want!

The words you speak become the house you live in.
— Hafiz