z

Young Writers Society

5 Reasons Transvestites Are Better Than Everyone

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:30 am
MissMadHatter says...

I really enjoyed reading this, it's very different, and I love your perspective!
Keep on writing!

MissMadHatter
~Trovare un amico e` trovare un tesoro~

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:00 am
Razcoon says...

@Kyllorac - Apologies, but I thought people who believe they were born the wrong gender were transgenders, not transvestites. Either way, sorry you found this insulting.

@Kiicoh - You can't judge all my writing by one piece. For future reference, never tell somebody to stop writing. Ever. Be it me or anybody else.

For both, I'd like to add that most people wouldn't read it if it was 100% serious. I'll admit I could have made it more over the top, which may have helped, so again...apologies!

@NepoGirl - If you weigh the reviews that say it sucks against the ones that say it doesn't, you find it's 3:8 ratio. So the people who found the need to tell me I was doing something wrong are outweighed by the people who thought it was funny. Besides, we don't have a dislike button.
Last edited by Razcoon on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:32 am
Day says...

Haha good one Razzy.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

114 Reviews

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:38 am
Razcoon says...

Thanks, Ben!
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:36 pm
occasionalpessimist says...

So. This article is one of the funniest I've read that follows this perspective.
Not just funny, but it set me thinking. I mean, I'm a transvestite, but I've never actually noticed the difference. I've never actually had had to notice the difference. This article made me think, but it wasn't too ponderous.
I liked it, definitely. Keep writing; these type of posts keep thought alive. (Without sacrificing humor.)
- Alexandra

P.S. Bribe to read my (only one) post. Cookie? [waves virtual cookie]
I'm not insane. You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Read my story, Elements: The Trilogy! page.php?id=900
Free cookie?

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:10 pm
DanielRichard says...

I completely agree with Kyllorac. Kudos to a well-spoken and honest review.
I think the reason why many people on this site found this amusing is because there are quite a few young teens and high schoolers who see it as unique and humorous, and a bit taboo. However, once you grow into young adults, you will probably meet more and more people who are either homosexual/transgender and begin to see them as real people, and not just a caricature. Once you have done that, your mind will open up.
To me, this piece was the same as if you had written about why black people are better than everyone because they are good athletes and eat fried chicken, or why Asians are better because they are all smart, or why Jews are better because they are rich, etc. Even though this was meant to be a "positive" spin on transvestites, it was still mildly offensive because it is essentially one big stereotype, and making a joke about someone else's way of life, something they might find to be a serious, and even painful issue at times.
I realize no harm was meant by this, and it was done with the intention of bringing an issue to light in a humorous and favorable context. However, the fact that you generalize so much and put an entire demographic in one box is, in itself, the type of unfair mindset that probably inspired you to write this in the first place.
"A story is a way to say something that can't be said any other way"
-Flannery O'Connor

114 Reviews

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:28 pm
Razcoon says...

@DanielRichard, thanks for reviewing. I'd like to point out that most of these aren't my actual opinions and should not be treated as such, but I see your point. As for the whole homosexuals and transgenders being viewed as caricatures and not real people in high school and such...one of my best friends is gay. I see him as an actual person. One of my best friends on YWS is bi, and I see her as an actual person. The way this is taken by individual people has to do with perspective, not age.

@occasionalpessimist I like cookies! *follows cookie as it slowly drifts towards post* I'm also really glad you didn't find this offensive.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:13 am
Jas says...

Annie darlin',

I don't care what anyone says. This was hilarious. My school has 122 members in the Gay-Straight-Trans-Alliance and my best friend's sister is a transvestite and I still found this funny. Keep doin' yo thang.

~Me
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

114 Reviews

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:55 am
Razcoon says...

Thanks Jas! I just realized your sig. You know once he said "They can all die in an explosion for all I care." "What about Holly J?" "Except her!" Good ol' Bish...I know Degrassi is highly off topic, but I wanted to say that. xD

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:35 pm
Miyakko says...

Hey RazHuni,

Haha, I absolutely loved this! To be honest, at first, I wasn't sure if I'd make the decision to read it, because it is not a commonly talked about topic, then I thought, there must be a reason why its so popular, so I read it and it was good!

It also seems really efficient to be a transvestite. haha. I also found this delightfully humorous! Mainly because of the innocence of your words and how true they were! I also loved at the end, how you clarified that you were not a transvestite! Very funny!

But, I do have to say, be careful. I do agree with some other reviewers, you used stereotypes too straightly I felt, and even though you made it seem that transvestites are versitile and their lifestyle somewhat more efficient because of it, not all transvestites have it that easy. Some may, but many don't. Even though this was humorous, just remember that it really may not be all that it seems!

Best wishes for future writing!

RedLeaf

Reviews: 3
Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:57 pm
RomanceWriter says...

Love it!
-Romancewriter

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:27 pm
Confictura says...

Kiicoh wrote:I didn't even need to read half of this to know that this piece is horrid, steriotypical, and insulting. Don't continue writing, for the sake of everyone else, please.

By not reading it, you forfeit your opinion on it. you can't say "I hate dogs" without ever seeing one.
there is no reason one should ever stop writing, the fact that you called it "Horrid, Stereotypical, and insulting." (it's SteREOtypical, No I in there.) just shows that you are a uptight, hypocritical, and most likely biased person that insults things simply for the reason that they do not adhere to your beliefs. Even if you do not agree with the subject matter, you must give credit where credit is due by saying, "I don't agree with what you wrote, but truly this is a well written piece." or something along the same lines.

*GASP*

Now, One thing that bothered me is that most (if not ALL) transvestites do not decide their gender of the day on a whim. Other than that. A very well written piece in which you comically, and playfully insult both of the genders, Bravo. Well done. Encore.

All that stuff :)
Help, help! I'm being repressed!

Reviews: 4
Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:02 pm
LenaDuchannes says...

Ohmigawd.
Dude.
Seriously. 100% AMAZING.
Like, I have a ton of friends who do this and they're put down a lot for it. It's like a pep talk, and a hah-you're-wrong kind of thing. Seriously. I love it.

~Lena~

1737 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1737
Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:53 am
BluesClues says...

I agree with Kyllorac that you need to research your subject more before writing about it; I don't know a whole lot about transvestites, but I do know that you need to know about the people you're writing about, whether they're a character or, as in this case, a subject. But at the same time I must say: DON'T listen to that jerk who said to stop writing. That's just mean, and besides - no one EVER has the right to tell you to stop writing!

~Blue

114 Reviews

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:33 am
Razcoon says...

JUST TO CLEAR THIS UP: This is supposed to be stereotypical! That's half the point, actually.
Blue, thanks. I know Kiicoh isn't worth listening to, especially considering she didn't even finish reading it. As for researching what I write about, yeah, that's definitely something I've needed to work on, even if this wasn't exactly supposed to be factual.

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman