z

Young Writers Society

Erased

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 pm
S.S. Rose says...

"The Lord replied to Moses, 'Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my Book.'" Exodus 32:33

My feet crunch the leaves, colorless in the night. They are fallen angels smashed beneath the feet of God, singed by the fires of hell. Without warning, a wind comes sighing in through the bony trees, disturbing their branches so that they clack and snap like skeletal fingers. The moonlight laps the naked trees like a tongue - they are nothing but remnants of what they were, dead frozen fingers sticking up out of the grave.

I haven't always been this way. Forever ago and away I was what I am now, but much more...and much less. I was clean, fresh, young. I was naive and unscarred, bright like a summer bird in full and radiant plumage. Saved and sacred, forgiven and redeemed; I was God's child.

...I pray about all sorts of things. I almost began to cry. so conflicting were my emotions. I feel hopeful but also humbled. I can't really describe what I feel, but like a sinner and shamed but also filled with brilliant contentment in Jesus.

Bleak sentences undone/When the gold is shorn/From the Lion of Judah/Lifeblood poured/From the Innocent's veins/Spreading liquid hope/Upon the reaching fingers/Of sinners redeemed/Killers are blind/To Him, to the One/He calls aloud in the throes of death/To forgive those who have covered their eyes/The immovable stone will be moved/The hopeless and deadened will receive, once again/The Light. ("Sacrifice")

And then...

dis-ease

noun, verb, -eased, -easing

-noun

1. a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.

2. any harmful, depraved, or morbid condition, as of the mind or society.

I became sick. Whose fault was it? Was it mine? Is depression the fault of the heart or the body, a chemical imbalance? Is anorexia the fault of the self or the society? Winter breathed, it whispered and I listened to great gales of ice. It froze my summer wings. Parts of me died that even three days could not resurrect. Like a serpent, I shed my skin for the flesh underneath: a new identity of blood and scars, angst and tears.

I feel desperate, as though the devil holds a ticking wristwatch above my aching head. I glance at my arm. The cuts are pink and the skin stained. Memory taunts my stomach, which heaves at the thought of bleach-white and stale hospital reek.

The iodine staining the snowy sheet and my arms, both of them, sickly orange and stinging.

In the Psych ward, they took the laces from my shoes and the tie from my hair. The madman pacing the floor, eyes crossed and rolling, exposing unnatural whiteness like a blind man's.

Once home, the cold rank house air filled with piano key anomalies and the tears on my mother's face.

These days are a snowstorm blur, filled with grey silence, grey scars, and the grey scent of death-dreams.

I healed, as all eventually do. But you find me much altered.

I stand now upon a hill, my skirt fluttering in the wind like a captured banner of independence. The flower-head sun and clouds bewilder the oncoming night. My heart is a sea of wily thought - wandering wonderings of decay and salvation.

The cross around my neck weighs heavily upon me as if it is a shackle to hinder my every movement. I break its thin golden chain and tuck it away, keeping a hand on the area where it has disappeared as if to assure myself of its presence.

The firmament is by now almost completely grey-blue, and the slight fire in the farthest west spreads its roots into the darkness.

Nothing waits for me at the bottom of the hill but the dirty old ghosts of my forebears, come to pay a penny for my thoughts. When they purchase them and discover their mournful sound, they prepare a dirge among them. It is beautiful but desperate, as if they long for my wild spirit to join them, and after listening for a moment, I ignore them.

Samantha, Samantha - they call to me. But I heed them not, and follow instead the last sun-petal that quavers in the increasingly dayless west.

So what now? Is Christopher Hitchens dancing a jig? Does Tim Keller mourn for a sheep newly strayed from the fold? Has God erased me from His Book?

To the Almighty...am I invisible?
"Hand in hand, the letters cross the room, whirl around the bed, sweep past the window, wriggle across the wall, swoop to the door, and return to begin again."

~Jean-Dominique Bauby

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:28 am
HomelessPorcupine says...

Heya S.S. Rose!

This is very interesting, albeit a bit confusing at times. As I was reading it, I had to stop and think about what was going on, and that took me out of the story instead of keeping me pulled in. It could just be me though.

wandering wonderings of decay and salvation.

I personally really like what you did here. It flows really well and just sounds overall awesome.

Now for the nitpicks!

In the Psych ward, they took the laces from my shoes and the tie from my hair. The madman pacing the floor, eyes crossed and rolling, exposing unnatural whiteness like a blind man's.

You changed from past tense straight to the present. You did this a few times in the story, so you may want to watch for that. Changing tenses can be good in some situations, but I don't think that it works in this one.

Forever ago and away I was what I am now

This right here doesn't seem to flow. I can't really think of something you can do to improve on it, but when I read it it doesn't really fit.

I almost began to cry. (S) so conflicting were my emotions

The 's' here needs to be capitalized.

The iodine staining the snowy sheet and my arms, both of them, sickly orange and stinging.

You don't need to say 'both of them' when you have already pluralized 'arms'.

Overall, I have to say that this piece was great! You have great description and the imagery was really good. Personally, I really enjoy this type of story, so if you write any more in the future I'll be sure to review!

Keep Writing!

-HP
"I can't afford a teddy bear, so I sleep with this contact solution."

Taran: He will not succeed in this. Somehow, we must find a way to escape. We dare not lose hope.

Fflewddur: I agree absolutely, your general idea is excellent; it's only the details that are lacking.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:18 am
rachelH2O says...

Hi Rose! As always, your writing is filled with wonderful imagery.

I agree with what you have said, it does seem choppy. It is beautifully honest in the way journal entries are, but that leaves it short of an essay. The paragraphs barely con...nect; I feel like there need to be better transitions between the normal and italic sections especially. And...well, I'm not fond of dictionary definitions in writing pieces; It feels like a juvenile trick to me.

Also, I would like to share with you some advice my grandpa gave me. A few years ago he reviewed my work and wrote me a wonderful letter. One of his points was (and I still have a lot of trouble with this), "The first thing you want to do is to have the theme of your story well in mind. And that should be evident in the first few paragraphs, not in the last few pages." While this was an essay and not a story, the topic of the paper (invisibility) only becomes an issue at the very end. I see this is the reason why you put that quote at the very beginning--but it still isn't enough. Add more at the end about your feelings of invisibility. It's like you were describing this mysterious shape beneath a white sheet in the preceding parts, and with "am I invisible?" you whip the cloth off! revealing a startling truth...but then there's an abrupt stop. Keep going! Describe this invisibility that you've been covering up. How does it make you feel?

This is an outline for a very good essay, I can feel it. But it is still just a sketch. The bold lines drawn, you still need to add shading before it is a masterpiece. I'd love to see it when it's done!
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."
ā€” Fred Rogers

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:21 am
greg925 says...

I could never know the depths of you. But, I do know what it feels like to feel like you've been "erased". To feel like everything you once were suddenly comes to an unexpected end.

"Forever ago and away I was what I am now, but much more... and much less."

I'm guessing your description of fall turning into winter is a metaphor for the change that was going on inside of your own psyche.

I can't say I've ever been depressed, at least not chronically diagnosed. I have however, been where you were. Feeling as though God has stopped listening. It can really take it's toll on a christian. I myself have strayed away from God many times. I felt as though what I had believed for so many years was a lie. Personally, I believe depression to be a matter of the heart and soul, rather than mind and body.

"Is depression the fault of the heart or the body?"

All in all, I can only say that this has to be one of my favorite pieces of yours. It doesn't really end on a sad note, but it doesn't end on a happy note either. It's sort of a cliff hanger. I think it just makes it more realistic, like it's not quite over.

It seems as if you take no joy in pity from others. If so, that's good. Pity only makes you weaker.

"They prepare a dirge among them. It is beautiful, but desperate, as if they long for my wild spirit to join them, and after listening for a moment I ignore the

Hopefully this finds you doing well.

Greg

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:59 pm
LaBelletrist says...

I don't know exactly what section this should go in - it feels strange to be here, but it isn't exactly prose or poetry, either. It's unique, and I like it. It's kind of like poetry... written in a sort of essay/prose format? I don't know, but I like it. It's raw emotion and it's brilliant.

The religious aspects aren't usually my thing, but it works perfectly in this. The whole thing doesn't necessarily make sense directly, but it's portrays a state of mind, one I totally understand.

... usually, I try to review something only when I have something constructive to say, but with this I just love it, nothing else to say!

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:10 pm
SmylinG says...

Hello :) Might I say this was very capturing to read. I love how you have ties to religious upbringing. It's something I can always appreciate. And the way you wrote this was just beautiful. Although some parts confused me a little, my favorite part of all was this:

I haven't always been this way. Forever ago and away I was what I am now, but much more...and much less. I was clean, fresh, young. I was naive and unscarred, bright like a summer bird in full and radiant plumage. Saved and sacred, forgiven and redeemed; I was God's child.

This was beautiful and so capturing to the eye to read! I loved it a lot. I can agree with this part most of all. It's so befitting of this young and impressionable age we stand at. Great work! Really, continue writing more stuff like this.
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:16 pm
Raoden says...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story.

After reading it over twice the message starts to surface. A very strong insight into your state of mind before, during and after. Iā€™m not sure what the theme is. To be blot from the book or to be seen/loved by God. Looking at the title I guess the first then the final remark of being visible can be interpreted as being visible in the book. I wonder about that.

So what now? Is Christopher Hitchens dancing a jig? Does Tim Keller mourn for a sheep newly strayed from the fold? Has God erased me from His Book? Not knowing these persons I cannot give an answer, but I suppose the answer is NO. Either way, two other examples may better fit here if you try to use them as metaphors.

Best regards, Raoden
If reading is the prospect of writing, then what is the prospect of believing! ā€“ anonymous

Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy