z

Young Writers Society

Modern Times (Pre-read)

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:49 am
Way2Dawn says...

As I'm sure you know times are changing rapidly. Wars all over the world, political unrest, mass protest, riots, etc. This is nothing new and is receiving a lot of attention (as it should), but what of the social changes in America? I don't need to ask if there is still a vast amount of people who believe in core values, morals, and/or self respect because you already know the answer. Answers may vary but you need not be asked! No, in this day and age in these 'modern times' many of use are aware of America sociology epically in the youth as well as our own (if not then don't fret do some soul searching and understand that in all probability your mentally changes with the passing seasons). But "Modern Times" is not a series of lectures of how American youth's mentality is judged by the ideologies of the artist whom make MTV's hit list, or the beliefs of local and underground rappers. No, "Modern Times" shall be a series of duologue and commentary of teenage life through my perspective. My style of writing, grammar, assumptions, generalizations, beliefs, actions, etc. may not run parallel with yours. You my even grow a bit of dislike for me. I don't care. This is a pre-read, I don't know what a pre-read is I just made it up or I'm most likely using it out of context. I don't care.

Now tell me whats wrong with this and show me all the mistakes I made and even if your daring enough my physicological issues (if any).

I don't care.
C.Mejia

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:53 am
RinSuru says...

Hello Way2Dawn, I'm not sue exactly what you have in mind here, but I can tell you do have an idea you've been kicking around. You're also in luck, I don't mind being so 'daring' to give my two cents and see how I might be able to help. :)

I take it sociology and psychology with perhaps a bit of philosophy are key subjects for you. ie Why do people do what they do, act how they act and even think what they might think in any number of real life situations?

Things can quickly get real deep when you are so daring to delve into depths of subjects a grand majority never want to think about. I find your personal presentation in this pre-read (foreword might be the term you're looking for) fascinating; I have lived in Texas all of my life thus far, and you have reminded me of an local friend I have known for years. He wants to know why people do some of the things they do, but he doesn't just ask why and leave it at that. If he wants to know, he will do whatever he can to try and figure things out for himself. For me, you captured his "I really don't care what you think, and I'm not going to stop being myself to appease you or anyone else" in the following:

Now tell me whats wrong with this and show me all the mistakes I made and even if your daring enough my physicological issues (if any).

While I'm on this line, perhaps meant to say psychosocial(ogical), which refers to one's psychological development as it pertains to interacting to the various environments one is surrounded by? If not, psychology covers the internal aspect of conscious and subconscious thought, and physiology pertains to the physical interactions and aspects of living organisms: ie diseases, how organs within organisms interact together, etc.

The distinctions get easily confused with the all of the combinations and similar semantics. One method I use to keep them straight is to remember that the prefix 'psy-' refers to mental processes, consciousness, ones psyche; this is in contrast to 'phy-' which refers to the physical. Lastly. 'socio-' can be sneaky sometimes and is right at home hiding amongst all the combinations within '-ologies'. Clearly, when spotted, socio- refers to social aspects, the interactions within a collective society.

I don't care.

This is a very valid approach, and certainly, one worthy of admiration when you look at the bigger picture. It doesn't sound like you'll let others deter you from the 'odd little things' you really want to know; if more could bring themselves to push asking questions more often instead of reeling back in fear for some kind of retaliation, I think society would benefit greatly as a whole.

So right on, not caring if you make mistakes. If there is one thing that, I feel, is of a great benefit to not care about, it is all of the possible mistakes from taking chances. Whoever learns anything from never being wrong? Sometimes we don't learn a lesson until we learn it the hard way; still, it's better that we learn than rely on the limited bliss that assumptions and ignorance can provide.

"Show me pointless, average, normal, correct, incorrect, or especially perfect, and I will show you a mirror."

Keep thinking about your idea here. Even if it ends up being more of a scattered collection of thoughts and commentary within, it's still something. Afterall, who is to say what is worth what in the end, or even what is the end of one thing and the start of another?
In the interest of actually getting somewhere and accomplishing something, I'll be 'wrong' and you can be 'right'.

[while trapped in a bucket of popcorn] You know what the worst part is? It's not even butter. We're gonna be destroyed by... ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!
— Blake Bradley, Power Rangers Ninja Storm