z

Young Writers Society

Fallout Essay

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:32 am
aouther2b says...

Choices, good or bad, always have consequences. In “Fallout” by Ellen Hopkins the reader meets Autumn and Summer, two girls who know nothing of each other but share one connection. This connection is their meth addicted mother Kristina. The story takes place in present day Texas, Nevada, and California, where the two sisters make major choices that won’t just affect themselves. The central theme of this book is to be wise with decisions because they don’t affect only you. This theme is significant because all through out the book choices are made by Autumn and Summer that create the chain reaction that is “Fallout”.
Early on in the book the reader knows the hardships Autumn and Summer have faced because of their mother’s choices. Shy with OCD Autumn lives with her caring Aunt Cora and abusive grandfather in Texas. All she knows of her father is that he is a three time convicted felon in a Nevada prison who’s name is Trey. She has no clue who her mother is, or if her mother is even alive. Summer, however has seen her mother and knows just who she is, and how her mother and father used to “dance” with the “monster”. Her parent’s choices forced her into foster home after foster home making her more rebellious and hateful after each one. Autumn and Summer’s resentment and efforts to find out who they really are can be seen all through the book.
Autumn and Summer’s internal and external struggles always make their way back to their mother Kristina. Autumn must decide if she really wants to know who her mother is after her father is released from prison, and Autumn’s choice to lie to her boyfriend Bryce turns disastrous. Summer’s fear of being her mother with every decision she makes, causes her to choose between her boyfriend Matt and his best friend Kyle and then her choice to run away with Kyle took a twisty path that led to a happy ending for her. The two girls’ conflicts on how to avoid their mother’s path took a toll on many around them.
Hopkins’s real life tale creates a theme that all can relate to: be careful with your choices, you’re not the only one affected by them. Summer’s choice to run away hurt her new family, but brought her back to her old. Autumn’s choice to meet her mother broke Bryce and her grandfather’s heart, but filled the whole between her father and her. “Fallout reminds people what can happen with one choice, asking the question, “Is this the right choice? If it is, how will this affect someone?”
In “Fallout” the author emphasizes the effect of certain decisions by creating real life situations that change the lives of other people. Summer and Autumn’s choices to follow a certain path help to create the story and make it more and more believable with every decision. Looking back, Hopkins reveals characters through how they deal with choices, whether it is through an impulse or contemplation of the obstacle they must overcome, she shows it in a realistic way. The book leaves the reader thinking about the choices they make and how they affect the people around them.
Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing. -- Benjamin Franklin

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:53 am
Jennya says...

I'm not an expert on essays but i will try to say something useful.

1. Make your paragraphs and structure clearer. I'm sure this is not your fault just because you probably just copied and pasted but it does make a difference.

2. It's good how you mentioned the title and the author in the introduction, always good to do.

3. In the introduction you just recap the story. This is defiantly not needed as the one who is marking this probably already knows the text. teachers on my school are big on this. You also do this in the second paragraph. Not good, I can't tell if this is a book report or a analytical essay.

but brought her back to her old.
i don't under stand this line, probably just me.

5. This is a little to 'short' for me. It only really has one real point and only explores one example or side of your contention. To me your just recapping the story not analyzing it but I'm not sure what type of essay this is so don't take my advice to literally.

Tips: Prove everything you say with quotes and explain why the quotes prove what you say. This is important don't say anything unless you can back it up. But you do use a quote in your essay and you used it quite well.
Stay gold, Ponyboy - S.E. Hinton

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert