Young Writers Society

Bill Lets Parents Edit Children's Facebook Pages

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 pm
Nate says...

Bill Lets Parents Edit Children's FB Pages
BY Barbara E. Hernandez, NBC Bay Area

A new state bill in the California State Senate could make social-networking sites like Facebook take down personal information and photos for account users under 18 and require more private settings.

The SB 242 was introduced by Sen. Ellen Corbett (D-San Leandro) and would require all security settings to default to private and charge up to $10,000 per violation, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

The bill's language also states that social-networking sites would have to comply with parental requests to remove information or photos from their children's pages or accounts. The new bill "would require removal of that information regarding a user under 18 years of age upon request by the user’s parent, within 48 hours upon his or her request."

Facebook's response was anything but accommodating. "This legislation is a serious threat both to Facebook's business in California and to meaningful California consumers' choices about use of personal data," said spokesman Andrew Noyes.

Full Story

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm
View Likes
Jas says...

Wooh, thank God I live on the other side of the country.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon May 16, 2011 11:29 pm
View Likes
Vapor says...

Okay, before I write out this whole response, let me say that I couldn't read the full article because my computer wouldn't load it.

Anyhow, I think this is actually beneficial. However, I think that the age should be lowered to 16. The amount of inappropriate pictures, language, and unnecessary personal info increases when a teenager finally starts to mature a bit. Sixteen is usually when teens start getting their acts together a bit, so that's why I say lower the age.
It's bad enough a lot of teens get carried away with their behavior in real life, on Facebook, a lot of us feel less intimidated and get even more carried away, depending. I think a parent should have the right to have say in what their children post. The roles of parents and general authority in society anymore has decreased, and I honestly feel that is going to create pretty bad repercussions for the future.
I don't think I should go more into it, this is just my opinion. And I want to emphasize heavily that this does not apply to all scenarios. Some teens really have mean parents, and their parents could destroy their children with this kind of power. But in a circumstance where a kid is going behind their parents' backs and posting things that are truly inappropriate, I think the parents should be the one's to address that and remove it before it gets too out of hand.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri May 27, 2011 4:35 pm
Stori says...

Heck, I don't think anyone younger than eighteen should be on Facebook.

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci