z

Young Writers Society

Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form (in the USA)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon May 09, 2011 1:32 am
Nate says...

Full Story at The Escapist

Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form (in the USA)
John Funk | 6 May 2011 3:48 pm

The US National Endowment for the Arts now considers videogames eligible for artistic funding, legally recognizing them as an art form.

The "games as art" debate will likely continue raging for years before videogames reach complete cultural acceptance, but at least one important organization now officially considers games art: The US Federal Government. Or, rather, the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) considers games art - which technically amounts to the exact same thing.

For those not familiar with the NEA, it is a US government organization-slash-program which funds artistic projects around the country which will "enhance the public good." If you're an artist who wants to make a beautiful sculpture for a public place, for instance, and you don't want to sell it commercially - but you would like to continue eating - you can apply for a grant of up to $200,000 to make your work of art. There are all sorts of regulations and scrutiny in the application process, but that's the basic idea, anyway.

The NEA opened its application doors this week for 2012, and announced that it would be changing its criteria for what counted as art. Most significantly for our chosen pastime is that the category formerly known as The Arts on Radio and Television will now be known as The Arts in Media. It will include film, television and radio artistic projects, but will also add satellite-based and internet-based media (as opposed to just landline-based broadcasts) and, you guessed it, interactive media.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue May 10, 2011 5:28 pm
Stori says...

Does no one play any other sort of games these days?

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed May 11, 2011 4:59 am
MeanMrMustard says...

Roger Ebert surely will protest this decision.

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor