Young Writers Society

New Sherlock Holmes Novel

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 pm
Nate says...

Conan Doyle estate approves new Holmes story

LONDON | Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:25pm EST
(Reuters) - Sherlock Holmes is to be brought back to life in the first new novel about the great Baker Street detective to be officially approved.

Anthony Horowitz, author of stories about teenage spy Alex Rider, has been chosen by Arthur Conan Doyle's estate to write the full-length novel, which will be published by Orion in September.

"I fell in love with the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was 16 and I've read them many times since," said Horowitz.

"I simply couldn't resist this opportunity to write a brand new adventure for this iconic figure and my aim is to produce a first rate mystery for a modern audience while remaining absolutely true to the spirit of the original."

No details of the new tale or even its title have been revealed.

Scottish author Conan Doyle wrote four novels and 56 short stories featuring the pipe-smoking Victorian detective.

Conan Doyle famously attempted to kill Holmes off, but was eventually forced by public pressure to resurrect him.

Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson have appeared in a vast legion of films and plays, but this is the first time the estate has given official approval for a story since the last novel was published in 1915.

(Reporting by Caroline Copley; Editing by Steve Addison)

Full Story:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70H4RW20110118

Pretty cool.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 am
Elinor says...

Ooh!

I absolutely adore the Alex Rider series, and I've read a tiny section of the Hound of the Baskervilles as well as seen a BBC movie adaptation of it. Normally I don't like the idea of authors continuing series from other people, but I think Horowitz will do a fantastic job. He's a great writer! Maybe this will be an excuse for me to pick up more Sherlock Holmes before the new book comes out.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:23 am
View Likes
wonderland says...

I love Sherlock Holmes.
I don't know how to feel about this. My mind is all confused.
This is scary and exciting.
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:45 am
View Likes
Jagged says...

Here's to hoping it's not going to be as meh as the prequels of Dune written by Herbert's son.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer