z

Young Writers Society

Ugly Fonts Make It Easier To Remember What You Read

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:46 am
Nate says...

Why ugly fonts and messy handwriting make it easier to remember what you've read
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 3:51 PM on 17th January 2011

Readers using electronic books are less likely to absorb what they have read because the information is presented in such simple form.

Devices such as the Amazon Kindle and Sony Reader display text in such a clear, legible format that this encourages the brain to be ‘lazy’, making it more difficult to take things on board, research suggests.

The findings go against the conventional wisdom that legibility makes it easier for people to learn and remember information.

Texts in easy-to-read typefaces make it harder to recall information than if it is presented in less legible formats, research suggests

A study by Princeton University found that a significant number of those tested could recall more information when it was presented in unusual typefaces rarely used in textbooks.

The research suggests that introducing 'disfluency' - by making information superficially harder to understand - deepens the process of learning and encourages better retention.

The psychologists said information which has to be actively generated rather than 'passively acquired' from simple text is remembered longer and more accurately.

The study raises questions over how much fonts like Times New Roman and Arial, which are used in the majority of academic books, help readers revise for tests.

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1BMJlBL6c

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:00 am
Jagged says...

Probably people remember those better so they won't have to trudge through it again.

I wonder if that could be considered an argument for developing good handwriting. Less chances the teacher will pay attention 8D
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:59 am
Snoink says...

That's probably why I can bear to read a crappy romance novel on Kindle, yet I die if I try to read it if it's in book form...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm
Kale says...

Probably people remember those better so they won't have to trudge through it again.

If they manage to trudge through it in the first place.

I wonder if that could be considered an argument for developing good handwriting. Less chances the teacher will pay attention 8D

It wins you major teacher brownie points, at the least.

I'm wondering where the ugly comes into the equation as unusual does not always equal ugly or illegible.

And I also find it hilarious that apparently the typefaces are to blame for people not paying enough attention to what they read to retain it.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:58 pm
BenFranks says...

Probably because you spend so much time trying to work out what it says. :D

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:42 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

So,
burning someone's eyes out with a serif font with bad kerning on a website is actually better for you? Or at least makes your customers/viewers remember your insignificant products/blog? I'll have to remember
that! :P

EDIT: Y ou will reme mber this pos t . For e ver !

But, seriously that makes sense. If your spoon-fed you don't learn anything. :D
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:30 pm
Rosendorn says...

Kyllorac wrote:

If they manage to trudge through it in the first place.

I'm wondering where the ugly comes into the equation as unusual does not always equal ugly or illegible.

And I also find it hilarious that apparently the typefaces are to blame for people not paying enough attention to what they read to retain it.

^ This.

And as somebody who has read through over 1k fonts (no, I am not exaggerating) I can say that you can find easy to understand fonts that are legible and very memorable because of how they're stylized. They're not really ugly (those I delete from memory) but the fonts are just enough "art" I remember them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:10 am
Master_Yoda says...

Times New Roman: ugly.
Article: wrong
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett