Watching television 'damages the heart'

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:37 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The Telegraph
Watching television 'damages the heart'
Watching too much television or playing computer games damages your heart regardless of how much exercise you do, scientists have warned.
8:29AM GMT 10 Jan 2011

The risk of heart disease and premature death from any cause doubled for those spending more than fours hours a day glued to a screen, it was claimed.

Metabolic factors and inflammation may be partly to blame, the report said.

Research revealed those who devote more than four hours watching television, surfing the web, or playing compuer games are more than twice as likely to have major cardiac problems.

Dr Emmanuel Stamatakis of University College London's Department of Epidemiology and Public Health said: "People who spend excessive amounts of time in front of a screen - primarily watching TV - are more likely to die of any cause and suffer heart-related problems.

"Our analysis suggests that two or more hours of screen time each day may place someone at greater risk for a cardiac event."

The study was the first to examine the association between screen time and fatal and non-fatal heart attacks - found there was a 48 per cent increased risk of all-cause mortality and an approximately 125% increase in risk of cardiovascular events in those spending more than four hours

The risks were irrespective of factors such as smoking, hypertension, BMI, social class, and even exercise.

Full Story:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... heart.html

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 pm
View Likes
Mr.Knightley says...

I'm homeschooled and I take online classes. Great news for me, if it's true.
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:06 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

Data indicate that one fourth of the association between screen time and cardiovascular events was explained collectively by C-reactive protein (CRP), body mass index, and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol suggesting that inflammation and deregulation of lipids may be one pathway through which prolonged sitting increases the risk for cardiovascular events.

I think that this quote from the article actually disproves the television argument and actually puts the blame on sitting for long periods of time. Watching television alone will not make a heart condition (though I'm sure it's not good for the eyes) but sitting for that long will.

Correlation does not mean causation people! Just because the numbers add up, doesn't mean that television is the culprit. Increased innactivity is.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:06 am
View Likes
ShadowKnight155 says...

The ninja assassins! Its a coverup! Or, maybe I'm just justifying myself...
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:28 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Research revealed those who devote more than four hours watching television, surfing the web, or playing compuer games are more than twice as likely to have major cardiac problems.

I'm liking that typo right there.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:19 am
Firearris says...

Mr.Knightley wrote:I'm homeschooled and I take online classes. Great news for me, if it's true.
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:38 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I'm going to bioengineer a heart now, lol.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:08 am
View Likes
lele253isme says...

cooool. So does it really? Because I love to get on the computer. And I am perfectly fine.

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird