Young Writers Society

Squills 3/27/13

57 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 57
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 am
View Likes
Animal says...

The thread you've stumbled into is the equivalent of a YWS newspaper, with each post in this thread being a news article. The focus of this paper is to give out a summary on the happenings of YWS at any given day and special features which tell about the new trends in YWS and current events. This feature runs all week long, featuring special coverage during events and certain occasions.

All members are welcome to submit their own news items. Keep in mind that all postings must comply with the YWS rules.

If you're an avid reader and want to pitch in or advertise or a concerned YWSer who wants to comment or ask us, then do so in the office at the Reader's Corner down below.

Reader's Corner

Spoiler! :
Submitting Articles
Submissions will be taken over the span of the day. Tomorrow, this thread will be locked and a new one will take its place. Anyone can post a news article or column as long as the topic is new, fresh, current and about the YWS or writing, art and humanities, is family-friendly and follows YWS rules.

Shameless Plugs
Why not advertise your newly constructed blog, your recent literary submission or your newest thread here at Squills? Just PM AlfredSymon and we can quote your advertisement for you as a shameless plug!

Letters to the Editor
Have any questions, comments or sggestions? About Squills or YWS? Then share them to us please and let it be answer in public for all the readers' ease :D ! Please PM AlfredSymon for any letters for the editor.

The Girl with the Golden Pen
Have any writing-related questions? Interested in hearing some writing advice? Then why not go the the Girl with the Golden Pen? Ask her anything! She'll answer everything! Visit her writing chamber, now!

Be a regular!
Just contact AlfredSymon if you want to be part of the creative staff!

Creative Staff

Spoiler! :
Technical Adviser: Griffinkeeper

Editor-in-Chief: AlfredSymon
General Correspondent: SparkofDoubt
Literary Correspondent: StellaThomas
Clubs Correspondent: LemonyIce
Forum Correspondent: Aquestioning
Advertising Manager: dogs

Columnist: [user][/user]
Community Reporter: ShadowVyper
News Reporter: megsug
Forum and Storybook Reporter: Animal

Comic Artist: Cspr
Comics Coordinator: [user][/user]
deleted

57 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 57
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 am
Animal says...

Month's Star Reviewers
*figures as of March 27, 2013. GMT 16:15

As we know that this month is coming to an end, we will have a look at our star reviewers.

III. guineapiggirl - 42 Reviews
Interesting story, she is competing against Hannah, and wants to win. No surprise why she is at third position.

II. Hannah - 45 Reviews
She is at the top of the competition beating guineapiggirl. We still have to see that can she remain at the top of the game or goes out in the round.

I. dogs - 105 reviews
We don't know how he can manage it but he is the BEST. Many a times featured and always on the top of the leaderboards, he does it again and again and yet again.
deleted

385 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 385
Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 pm
Omni says...

Featured Randomization Infestation

Do you want to lounge off on YWS? Well, there's a place for that! Do you want to goof around instead of writing a melodramatic romance novel? There's a place for that, too! That place is the Randomosity forum!

That sounds like fun and everything, you say, but what if you don't know what to do on there? Well, a solution has been thrown upon you! It's the Featured Randomization Infestation, where we feature fun, exciting, and always sporactic topics!

This week in Featured Randomization Infestation, Your name is your lifehood, but not in this week's topic. Post, and expect to get renamed! In this topic, you get to rename the person who posted above you, whether it be about their avatar, signature, or waffle irons, its up to you to decide, as long as you keep it family appropriate.

Go check it out!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:33 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Ask The Girl With the Golden Pen

The long awaited addition to Squills is here! The Girl With the Golden Pen! Written by yours truly, SparkOfDoubt.

if say I read a book and write a review for it but another person has already covered that what should I do should I just not write a review.
--Jordin

Jordin,
If you read something on YWS, you can always review! Regardless if anyone has reviewed the piece before you, go ahead and give your opinion! The authors usually want multiple opinons anyway!
--The Girl with the Golden Pen

So! How do I charge my batteries? I've tried changing the songs I listen to and taking walks but this is... long-term writer's block.
--Blues and Auxiira

Sometimes, it's better to take step back from your writing. You're trying so hard to write, you're burning yourself out without even realizing it! If you're struggling to reach creativity, try to be creative in some other way. Sometimes it's as simple as getting a few writing prompts off the internet and writing about them. Or creating a new plot. Or even, joining a SB to try and get back in the groove.

I am terribly at writing action. Oh, Alice, help me. Explain how to do it correctly?
--Cspr

Action is one of those things that you just have to go with your gut instinct. My suggestion is too just write it out and don't stop to worry about anything. Don't rush it, but just let it flow out of you. Another thing I did when I was trying to master the art of action (still working on it) was watch an action movie, and take notes. Watch the mechanics of it, what noises the actors make, how their bodies react to different kinds of attacks. Really, you just have to educate yourself. And practice. Practice practice practice.

So, (especially since people are gearing up for NaNoWriMo) I'm wondering on how you create long stories that flow well and represent your writing appropriately. My longest story (Which I'm still writing on) Is about 15,000 words, and it has taken me about six months to get there.
--Aquestioning

When I first began writing, I couldn't write length. To get myself out of the habit, I forced myself to write a certain amount for each chapter. Soon enough, if my chapter wasn't long enough, I went back and added more description or embellished things I'd previously skated over. That's another thing you can do. Description is key to upping your word count. Instead of saying 'she said' try, 'she mumbled as softly as she could, hoping he couldn't hear her answer'. See? Three words vs. thirteen words.

Dear Golden Pen,
When you write your first chapter and mid-way through, you think: Oh, I've a better idea for an opening! And you get through writing that 2nd idea when you realize your novel is going in a different direction and so you write yet another *better* opening to satisfy new ideas. Never-ending cycle, yo! ;-;
-- Signed, Girl Who Never Finishes Things (Audy)

Perfectionist syndrome is one of those things that's almost unavoidable when you're a writer. But sometimes, you have to make yourself. When you're writing, try really plotting out your chapter. Give it awhile to sink in, make sure it makes sense and you're happy with it. Then, when you write your chapter and don't let yourself change anything besides the usual stuff you edit--grammar, puncuation, word use, etc. Force yourself to leave it as is, and continue on. Hopefully, that'll rid you of this really bad habit of thinking your writing is never good enough. It is, I promise!
--The Girl With the Golden Pen

WHAT IS PLOT I DON'T EVEN
--fireheartedkaratepup

Plots are evil things that grow and grow and grow inside you till you can't take it anymore and write the thoughts down.

To add to the fun, here comes the other side of that coin - the shortest thing I ever wrote (finished, that is) is about 25,000 words. I call it my short story. The longest.. I don't even want to go there.
But for the majority of the contests, for magazines and all kinds of events, what is asked for are short stories, sometimes with the limit under 1,000 words.
Do tell, how does one make the characters live, the readers feel the atmosphere and see the world from the words on the paper, with such restraints? s:
--AriaAdams

Dang, that's a lot of words! Kudos!
What I would do, if I had the problem you have (and I kind of wish I did,) would be to write out the short story as you regularly would. Then after you're finished, and after you've worked out all the editing, read it. And as you go through, bold the parts that aren't nessicary. Then go through and bold all the parts that don't make sense if you delete the parts that aren't nessicary. Then go through again and try to find parts that could be implied instead of written out. Then delete it. Then go back through, and make sure everything makes sense. If it's still too big, continue doing this till you finally have a short story that is actually that, short. Hopefully, this'll work for you.

And so concludes the first ever 'Ask the Girl With the Golden Pen'!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

New Arrivals

Take a moment to welcome today's newest members to the site!

Renee
XxFallenAngelxX
roselina
LaetitiaGuillet
KSwriter
sekangel88
maejoseph
luluds
LovelyWritings
EllieArden
xmegx7
Mouse123
SilverAquaTrident
lalalabrianna
ThothMagic
lyssiekins
tabassum

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 pm
StellaThomas says...

Today's featured piece is by SilverAquaTrident, 5 Worst Enemies, and Elevator, and an Unfortunately Timed Power Outage - Part 1. The voice of this piece is spectacular and the piece itself is a barrel of laughs. SAT manages to pick five characters and somehow make all of them dislike each other for various reasons. It's quite amazing, and highly recommended!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg