z

Young Writers Society

Smoke and dust 14

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat May 07, 2005 7:31 pm
View Likes
Willow says...

The next day dawned, heavy and humid. I knew the rain would come soon, but I was determined to go to Bevan first. Gregon had unnerved me. his manner was out of place.
I reached Bevan in the clearing where we’d found Nudith. He was sitting against the log, eating berries. When he saw me he stood up quickly and smiled hopefully.
“I don’t think you should be eating those berries,” I told him cheerfully as I drew near. They were called red liquors, seeing as they contain alcohol. “You know they use those in the wines.”
“That’s the point,” he said, still smiling broadly.
He looked at me for a moment. “So,” he said eagerly. “Are the rumors true?”
“The rumors?”
“About my father going back to the city?”
“Yeah well, I don’t know,” I said quickly, waiting for his reply.
“I thought you went to check on the cottage,” he said slowly.
“When I went it was too dark to see,” I told him. “We saw a candle burning inside the front room after a while.”
“We?” he asked distractedly.
“Gregon was with me,” I explained quickly.
“What was he doing there?” he asked, walking past me pensively.
I turned to see his back, wondering why he was acting so dramatically all of the sudden. I stepped forward so he could hear me.
“I don’t know, but he kind of badmouthed Orrin a lot,” I said. He turned back around.
“I guess he would,” Bevan said, looking at the floor.
“What do you mean?”
Bevan looked at me decisively, before saying, “You know, talk from around the town. My father’s not the friendliest of sorts.”
I knew he was lying, or at least not telling me everything. Gregon wasn’t the type of person who’d slur someone else just because of some town-talk.
“But if a candle was burning, doesn’t that mean he’s still there?” he asked before I could say anything.
I thought back on the sound I’d heard when I stumbled. Had I imagined it in my panic? I mean, why would Nudith be in Orrin’s cottage at the dead of night?
“Yeah,” I said dumbly. “It probably does.”
We stood in silence for a moment, Bevan looking me up and down. I stared back, wondering what to say. I could feel my cheeks reddening. My stomach flipped uncomfortably.
A distant rumble sounded. Thunder was moving over fiery hill, bringing along rain. It wouldn’t be long before the first drops fell. I looked up pointlessly at the thick foliage covering my head.
“Maybe I should get back,” I said, pointing lamely in the direction of the sky. “Before the rain hits.”
Bevan moved closer to me. He had a weird look in his eyes. It was dark in the clearing, preventing me to see the color. His hands found mine. I wanted to draw away suddenly, but restrained myself. His touch was different somehow.
“You know,” he said tenderly, his head inclined so his forehead almost touched mine. “The rain doesn’t reach this place. We’ll stay completely dry as long as wait here.”
“What if it rains till nightfall?” I asked, pulling away and heading for the entrance to the clearing.
“Then we’ll stay here to nightfall,” he said, “I sleep here at night you know.”
“Thanks Bevan,” I said, “but I really have to go.”
He grabbed my arm and pulled me back, pressing his lips to mine. I was so surprised I just stood there, my eyes open and staring. His were closed wistfully.
Finally I pushed him away. I’ve wanted that so long, yet now it didn’t feel right.
“What’s the matter Astrid?” he asked, almost mockingly.
I stared incredulously at him.
“I – I better get back,” I said, turning my back on him and scurrying to the opening.
“Enjoy getting wet!” Bevan called after me. “Happy dryings!”
I heard him laugh outside the clearing. What was wrong with him?
I trudged my way dejectedly back home. The rain hit just as I stepped out of the forest, soaking me to the marrow. The village was deserted. I knew some associations had been cancelled. How convenient that the rain hit during lunch.
My life is a broken stair
Winding down a ruined tower
and leading no where

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat May 07, 2005 10:47 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

YES YES YES YES!!!

hee, Willow...you just had to put that in there, didn't you? :wink:

Not really much to say, sorry, just that I enjoyed it.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sun May 08, 2005 7:34 am
View Likes
Emma says...

They kissed?! And she pulled away?!

Its really good! Im sorry I cant say anymore! :(

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun May 08, 2005 12:39 pm
View Likes
Willow says...

I had to let something happen between them :P
Thanks guys
My life is a broken stair
Winding down a ruined tower
and leading no where

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Thu May 12, 2005 6:46 pm
View Likes
hekategirl says...

I don't know when you posted this but it doesn't fit in with the edited "Smoke and Dust 13" you need to write more inbeetween 13 and 14. But other then that this is very nice, I like how she pulled away from his kiss. Not that I don't want her and Bevan to get together, it just seemed better now for her to pull away rahter then have him kiss her.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

The most important thing is to have fun! Stress makes for distress and neither of those belong in writing!
— Kaia