z

Young Writers Society

Kiln- Chapter One *Over 13*

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:52 am
norris_redford says...

Sorry. Taking the Kiln chapters off on all the sites they have been posted to.

Publishers won't take a story if it's online already.
Last edited by norris_redford on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non omnis moriar.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:16 pm
Firestarter says...

It's good. I got very caught up in it, and I can see it's a story I'd be most interested in fully reading, when it's finished of course.

I liked everything about it, except the first few paragaphs:

Old place really falling apart, eh?” Luke’s heart jolted as an unknown voice spoke from behind his left shoulder. Mind, body and soul were suddenly brought back to together for him, and Luke was once again pulled out of his state of prayer and placed back into reality.
He sighed. The weary exhalation of breath did not even begin to describe the very listlessness which dampened his soul. Stubbornly, he turned in the church pew to see what kind of dense, inconsiderate idiot would interrupt a man’s prayers with casual, meaningless conversation. His hazel eyes fell upon another set of crystal blue ones, which were level with his own. (It seems the other man was kneeling also, but as he obviously had no intentions of doing anything but chatting, Luke couldn’t see why he bothered.) The other man’s eyes held a self-amused sort of look in them which annoyed Luke greatly.

I think there are too many adjectives and adverbs in this paragraph, and it clutters up sentences and the overall description. Keep the sentiments, but make it simpler and easier to follow -

"The weary exhalation of breath did not even begin to describe the very listlessness which dampened his soul"

I think this could have been done simpler.

My opinion, of course, take it as you will.

Really good story, though, good luck with it in the future!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:20 pm
norris_redford says...

Yes, that was written a year and a half ago, and after reading back over it I realized it was too detailed. I wanted to see, however, if it was just me, or if it really was in need of revision.

Thank you very much for giving it a read :D
Non omnis moriar.

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates