z

Young Writers Society

The Art of Revolution

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:11 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

I often have little inspiring quotes at the beginnings of my novel drafts, just to keep me going and remind me what its all about. Anyway, here is the first chapter of the first novel I have fully planned out. Will it be a success? Only time will tell. Enjoy.

“People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people.” –V.

Chapter One

“It is exactly like the Art of War,” Linus whispered emphatically, just as another Rogue appeared on the other side of the street. Alexis raised her pistol, shot him nonchalantly and turned her attention back to Linus. Everyone had come to accept Alexis’ belief that they didn’t count as real people, but they still cringed every time she shot one.
“Anyway,” Linus continued, “Sun Tzu maintained that ‘the skilful leader subdues the enemy’s troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdoms without lengthy operations in the field.’ And that, my friends, is exactly what we will aim to do.”
The streets in the area were mainly empty at that time of night, with the exception of a few Rogues that would be terrorizing the city if Alexis were not killing them on sight.
“And what if, in all his wisdom, Sun Tzu didn’t reckon for a city like Licentia City? For a kingdom like Lightened England?” Edan asked, much to Linus’ dismay.
“Have I not taught you anything? The Art of War is universal. What worked in 5th century BCE China will work right here in 2006.”
Edan acquiesced and Alexis wasn’t listening.
“How much further until we get to the police station?” she asked while straining her eyes on a figure somewhere in the distance. She thought she had seen another Rogue, but it was just a pile of rubbish bags.
“We’re about 10 minutes away,” the ageing ex-general by the name of Linus Ritter answered, “which is perfect because it is 10 minutes until midnight.” Edan smiled to himself; Linus always knew the exact time yet he didn’t own a watch.
They walked in silence for the rest of the journey. Alexis and Edan were side by side, while Linus walked a few steps ahead.
The city was just as glorious as ever. The cracked and dirty walls of the run-down tenements (as this was a purely residential area) climbed upward several stories toward the depressingly starless sky.
There was no horizon in Licentia City. Many children that had been born there had never been in an area wider than the space from one building to another. Some people had seen the edge of the city, or indeed been beyond it, but security was so tight that no one bothered anymore. Edan knew the arduous task of entering the city, but he was part of a great minority in that respect in Licentia.
The city was a cage; everyone knew it but they didn’t know why. The three individuals that now walked the streets, drawing closer to their destination, knew the whole story, and what a chilling story it was. In fact, they were on their way to tell the story to a new audience: a seventeen year-old girl.
They rounded the final corner on their way to the designated meeting place just as Alexis spied another Rogue. It was too far away to shoot, and in the opposite direction to the police station they were headed to. Begrudgingly, Alexis let him live.
The Southern Quarter Police Headquarters was to the right of the street, as they saw it, so they crossed over to that side without a change of pace. They looked at it briefly as they reached it, and kept walking until it had faded out of their sight behind them. Just beyond the station was an alley, which was their real goal.
In the dirty yellow light that seeped into the alley from the streetlights, Linus and his companions saw someone standing deeper into the alley. “Who’s there?” Linus said rather loudly.
“Nobody.” The female voice sounded heavy in the darkness, although it was no higher in pitch than Alexis’ voice. It resonated for a brief second between the walls on either side and then disappeared into silence.
This was, indeed, the proper response, and the one that the group expected. “That is right; you are nobody,” Linus said as he approached the girl. “For that is why you, and we, are here.”
She said nothing while Alexis and Edan followed suit and approached her. “We are nobodies as a group, but as individuals, this is Edan and this is Alexis.” He pointed to them respectively.
She smiled apprehensively, greeting them.
“First of all, Lucy, I am both glad and saddened to be meeting you in this most wondrous of settings,” he said obviously sarcastically, but without a trace of it in his voice.
“Why?” she asked, her voice not sounding so heavy now that the silence was not so all-enveloping.
“Because although your apparent devotion to our cause is both admirable and promising, I am afraid you are too young to join us.”
Instantly, she looked crushed. She opened her mouth to speak, but closed it again after finding no words. Instead, she just stared at Linus, hoping for some kind of recognition of how she felt.
After watching her forlorn and silent plea for a second, Edan interrupted. “We understand how you feel. You obviously know, as we know, that something needs to be done about the problems of this country, but are you sure you’ve thought about what joining us will mean?”
“Of course I have. Ever since I found out about you I’ve been turning it over in my head repeatedly. Something really does need to be done, and I want to be a part of it.”
Linus and Edan exchanged glances, while Alexis simply stared at Lucy. The teenage girl was rather short, with short brown hair that still managed to plunge over her face and partially cover her left eye. She was dressed entirely in plain clothing: plain black pants, plain blue t-shirt, plain white sleeves protruding from a long-sleeved shirt underneath. However, despite the minimalist look that greatly contradicted what was considered ‘fashion’ in Licentia City, Alexis found herself concluding that she was a pretty girl. Alexis often made these judgments on other girls, mainly out of simple objective observation.
Linus turned to look at her again, this time with what was almost a smile on his face. “I stand by what I said; you are too young. However, I am forced by the desperate situation of our group to include anyone that is willing, even if they are not fully able. It is highly likely that if you join you will not take part in any major activities. Is there any particular skill you have that you could use to help the cause in other ways?”
Nothing came to mind immediately. She was a smart girl, but Societechture had all the intelligence it needed in the three people standing in front of her. She didn’t have any skills in any area that seemed necessary for a revolution, but in fear of admitting she had nothing to bring to the table and therefore not being accepted, she blurted out the only thing she was good at it. “Painting. I can paint. And draw,” she said, and immediately she knew how stupid it sounded.
“Hmmm. We might be able to use you after all. If we accept you, are you sure that you’ll be able to dedicate yourself entirely?” Linus asked her.
She had no idea what he had in mind for her, but at least she was to be a part of the revolution that would either save her life or destroy it.
“Yes,” she answered solidly.
“Are you sure that you are willing to take part in activity that you may not feel comfortable with, in the name of bringing down the government?”
“Yes.”
“Are you sure that you have no problem breaking laws, engaging in underhanded activity, even putting yourself in potential danger, so that one day we might see change?”
She hesitated momentarily. “Yes.”
“Then Lucy, welcome to Societechture. From now on you will continue your life as normal, only to be interrupted by word from myself and only myself, at which point you will not be Lucy Deane, but a Societecht. Above all else we demand secrecy in all that you do as a Societecht, and inconspicuousness in all that you do outside of our group.” At this point Linus extended his hand and shook Lucy’s as she reciprocated. Edan and Alexis both did the same in turn, after which Linus asked her one last thing. “Do you have any questions?”
She pondered for a moment. She had many questions about the movement, the government, their future actions and many other subjects, but the foremost question came to her and could not be ignored. “I know something is wrong, and that that is why people such as ourselves must rise up, but why can’t the government be defeated by the process of democracy?”
Edan had answered this question many times since joining Societechture and asking it himself, so he was the one to give an answer. “Because, Lucy, this is a dictatorship. Only no one knows it except the dictator.”
The words hit her like a train of abandoned political science theories. “You mean Etteridge?”
“Who else? He leads this totalitarian government from behind a façade of democracy.”
“But... how? How can he fool everyone like that?”
“You’ll find out soon enough. There simply isn’t enough time to paint the whole picture right now.”
Lucy nodded with a look of concerned mystification, as if she was scared by what she obviously didn’t know.
Linus spoke again, but this time to close the conversation. “This meeting is over. If we have need of you, you will be contacted. Until then, continue your life as normal. Please wait here for a few minutes after we leave to avoid suspicion. Goodbye.”
“Goodbye,” she repeated, although there was so much more she wanted to learn. The three individuals that were the top tier of the group known as Societechture left her alone in the alley. The last she saw of them that night was the figures of Alexis and Edan turning the corner and heading to the right, and Linus heading left, back toward the police station.

Lucy waited for what felt like an hour, but was in reality only three minutes.
...breaking laws...
...potential danger...

The words of the ageing man flew violently around in her brain like a belligerent gust of wind. Not only had she now officially joined what was, in reality, a terrorist group, but she might have to face pain and even death in the name of social change.
But why?
Everything in her mind screeched to a halt.
She had convinced herself over a period of weeks that it was the right thing to do. She had given herself wholly to the idea that something had to be done. She had pushed the thought of her father as far back into her consciousness as possible, but now she could no longer deny it.
It’s all for him.
He was a man Lucy used to know. They live in the same tenement, but they used to actually live together; he helped create her, but he used to be her father. Now he was a silent man who slept all day and worked all night, always coming home a little bit closer to his imminent death.
Without change, he’ll die too. Just like Mum.
After the timeless freefall through the magnitude of what she had just done, she took her first steps as a Societecht. They weren’t savoured, or even really recognized at that moment, but Lucy Deane walked out of the alleyway near the Southern Quarter Police Headquarters as a new person. A criminal? A terrorist? No, she reasoned. A freedom fighter.
The Southern Quarter was the worst part of the city, but luckily this particular area was relatively clean. Every time she heard a noise she would increase her pace, even to the point where there was a pain in her legs. If she didn’t get home quickly she would surely be caught by one of those horrid Rogues. She had heard of the things they did to people they caught: rape, murder, torture, all sorts of vile things.
Luckily, her tenement was not far from the site of her Societechture induction. It was a five-minute walk, which still made her uncomfortable. She had been straining her legs for five blocks now and the only thing keeping her going was fear. She was part of something bigger than herself now, but they couldn’t help her if she was caught.
Eventually she reached the steps to the front of her tenement building. Like most of the other buildings in Licentia, it was old and dilapidated. Even though it was part of the Second Stage, the tenements were incredibly small and crippling. The building was fifteen stories high, with perfectly identical layouts on each floor. The walls were made of large grey bricks that screamed the word “PRISON” to anyone who saw them, and the floors weren’t carpeted or tiled; they were just cement in all its icy glory. She entered the building and climbed the stairs to the seventh floor. Tenement 7C belonged to her and her father. When she entered the four-room claustrophobia attack, it was empty. She knew it would be. Her father would be out crawling the streets for another five hours yet. Streetcrawlers, they called them, ironically – the lowest and most dangerous of jobs in the ‘Justice System’, as they called it. Most of them ended up dead, if they weren’t injured to the point of immobility first.
Lucy locked the door behind her and went straight to her room. Like the rest of the tenement, and nearly every single room in the Southern Quarter, it was tiny. There was barely enough room for a bed, a small table next to it and a bookshelf. She didn’t have a desk for her homework, so she either did it on her bed or on the small, but sufficient, floor space she had. Her clothes had to be folded on the floor in piles next to the bookshelf, as there was nowhere else to put them. There was, in fact, only one thing in the room she was glad for: her books. While most people lived through their friends, Lucy had very few of them, so she inevitably turned to reading to live through vicariously. In that bookcase were many different existences she had been through, all of them changing, not with days like mortals, but with the turning of everlasting pages like those who live forever.
She always told herself that she’d live forever.
She got changed into an old green shirt that she only wore for sleeping, took off her pants and climbed into her bed. The mattress was hard and the pillow was about as supportive as a gas cloud, but she had learned to sleep in these conditions. At the moment, she couldn’t sleep for other reasons. Her mind was full of the uncertainty of the future, along with the crushing certainty of not being able to turn back from what she had done. Its not that she wanted to abandon the group, she just wanted to find out a bit more. Linus had ended the meeting so abruptly that she didn’t find out what exactly she will be required to do when the time comes, or even what Societechture was like as an organization. She knew Societechture: The Idea, but not the group of people behind it. Alexis and Edan both seemed alright to her, but surely there was something more to them than just being figures that stand behind Linus.
Unordered thoughts floated around in her head until eventually tiredness overcame her and drifted off. She was meeting Alana, her only friend, tomorrow, and she knew she’d be extremely tired in the morning.
Alana will understand. She always does.
Last edited by Ohio Impromptu on Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:34 pm
View Likes
luna_the_shiekah says...

Well, before I start my critique, I'd like to say that I was a bit apprehensive of the story at first, but upon finishing this first chapter, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I really hope my critique helps you in some way at least ^_^

Inertia wrote:“It is exactly like the Art of War,” Linus whispered emphatically, just as another Rogue appeared on the other side of the street. Alexis raised her pistol, shot him nonchalantly and turned her attention back to Linus.

Since you quoted V for Vendetta and I noticed a few similarities between your story and that one, I'll make comparisons since I know you'll understand what I mean.

Alexis shot a Rogue, which I'm assuming is a bit like V for Vendetta's fingermen, wouldn't other Rogues come to their fallen comrades aid? Or at the very least wouldn't the gunshot alert someone of their presence? If it didn't, you may want to add her use of a silencer.

Inertia wrote:“We’re about 10 minutes away,” the ageing ex-general by the name of Linus Ritter answered, “which is perfect because it is 10 minutes until midnight.” At this point Edan smiled to himself; Linus always knew the exact time yet he didn’t own a watch.

The way it was formatted on this page, made both the 10's be above one another and make it seem repetitive. You could change it to "We're about 10 minutes away" "which is perfect because its ten minutes to midnight." Just to mix it up a bit and make the sight of it not repetitive even though the meaning is.

Inertia wrote:They rounded the final corner on their way to the designated meeting place just as Alexis spied another Rogue. It was too far away to shoot, and in the opposite direction to the police station they were headed to. Begrudgingly, Alexis let him live.

I just found this part amusing because of Alexis's reaction to being unable to shoot another Rogue.

Intertia wrote:Lucy nodded with a look of concerned mystification, as if she was scared by what she obviously didn’t know.

This line seemed off to me. It seemed off because "it was as if she was scared of what she obviously didn't know" I think someone in her position, having just agreed to helping a group of freedom fighters as you put it, would be scared of the fact she didn't know the details. And instead of putting "obviously didn't know", "didn't know" will suffice because it is obvious to the reader she doesn't know, so you don't have to enforce that fact.

Inertia wrote:While most people lived through their friends, Lucy had very few of them, so she inevitably turned to reading to live through vicariously. In that bookcase were many different existences she had been through, all of them changing, not with days like mortals, but with the turning of everlasting pages like those who live forever.

I think that the line "Lucy had very few of them" can be removed and that you could rephrase the rest of the sentence. For example "While most people lived through their friends, Lucy turned to books." And add another sentence explaining the reason to this being her lack of friends.

Intertia wrote:She was meeting Alana, pretty much her only friend, tomorrow, and she knew she’d be extremely tired in the morning.

The line sounds fine if you remove the "pretty much" part of it. It takes away from the rest of the somber tone of the story. "She was meeting Alana, her only friend, tomorrow" Sounds better off. "She knew she'd be extremely tired in the morning." Isn't really a necessary line in my opinion.

Okay! That's it! I'm done feeling like a nitpicky dork for being so particular. I hope this had done some good for you and that you're not too angry at me.^_^()

I'm looking forward to the next installment because I'm as curious as Lucy is about what the Societechture is up to. ;)

LUNA
I cannot name this
I cannot explain this
and I really don't want to
just call me shameless.

-Ani Di Franco "Shameless"

131 Reviews

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:17 am
View Likes
Ohio Impromptu says...

Thankyou tremendously for the feedback. I agree with most of what you pointed out, so I'll fix those things up in a minute. As for the Rogues: yes, they are similar to the Fingermen, but they do not have any sense of comradery at all. They are heartless and self-centered, and only a few of them choose not to work alone. As for the silencer, I thought about it, but gunshots are not really anything out of the ordinary in Licentia, so its not that big a deal to anyone that might have heard it.

Thanks for the feedback. :wink:

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:03 pm
Emerson says...

nice story you have starting, though its sort of rough at the beginning. Try to do some showing. like instead of saying that the one character ( I forget who) always knows what time it is, but never wears a watch, maybe later you could have someone notice that he wears no watch (or right then) of course that's just an example.

The characters are interesting, but not very round. give them more aspects, make them full people. I found one hole, They tell Lucy she can't join because she's too young, but we aren't told why they have such an age limit to their organization. Also, after giving this sort of 'rule' they so easily let her join, what is that all about? It makes the group seem kind of flaky, if its so easy for them to cast off a rule.

Streetcrawlers, they called them, ironically – the lowest and most dangerous of jobs in the ‘Justice System’, as they called it.
try to change this, to avoid repetition.

Her clothes had to live in a pile next to the bookshelf, as there was nowhere else to put them.
clothes....live?! :-D

So, I liked it, it's a good idea. One thing I would suggest is slimming it down (which every writer could do now and then :-) ) Take out words which seem unneeded and can make the sentences flow better, those making the story flow better. It will bring the story together in a tighter way. Here's an example from the end:

She was meeting Alana, pretty much her only friend, tomorrow, and she knew she’d be extremely tired in the morning.
you could rewrite this: tomorrow morning she as meeting Alana, her only friend besides the books (you should make a reference to the books, because you said she had little (or was it no?) friends, and then saying this was a friend she had is fishy), and she knew she would be tired then.

'pretty much' is unneeded. take out words like 'just', 'almost', 'a bit', unless they are completely needed.

I hope I helped :-D There were also some grammar things and sentences that could use help but I didn't feel like picking it apart, sorry!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

131 Reviews

Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:49 pm
View Likes
Ohio Impromptu says...

Thanks for the input, Claudette. I must admit that this chapter is a rough draft thrown together in a few hours, so I apologize for any shortcomings. I'll definitely go over the part you pointed out about the group being flaky. I realize now that it is quite a problem.
I'll edit those other things tommorow. Much appreciated.

Well, while I'm here I guess I'll post chapter two. Like #1, it is a bit rough around the edges, so anything you see that isn't up to standard should be pointed at and beaten. Enjoy.

Chapter Two

Chancellor George Etteridge sat alone in his office, with a glass of brandy in front of him and hating the every single minute that passed without the phone ringing. It was 0100 hours now and still no word from the Secretary of Defense. It wasn’t urgent, but never had Etteridge had so much riding on one project. It was paramount that he receive a progress report before he retired for the night. He took a sip of his luxuriously expensive brandy and continued to wait.
His office was bigger than entire floors in tenements buildings across the city. It was decorated in hardwood and propaganda, to put it simply. The walls were covered with portraits of founding Light Party members, and other assorted historical figures (many of whom were not associated with the Light Party at all). On the wall to his left was the largest portrait of all, which depicted himself in front of the backdrop of Licentia City, standing proudly with a staff rooted in front of him, looking off into the distance. Of course, the setting was not the real Licentia – full of crime, paranoia and ignorance – it was that small area of the city that had been built with pride. Such an area was found in the upper Western Quarter, surrounded with security so that no undesirables could go unnoticed. The security never outright admitted that all lower-class citizens were to be kept out of the area, but they didn’t serve any other purpose. A terrorist could walk in, if he were wearing a suit.
The area, known as the Prosperitas District, was an immaculate testament to nationalistic architecture. The buildings (the majority of them being government-owned) were all designed in the same style: Doric columns, monolithic walls, and all dressed in glass and marble. If it weren’t so obviously offensive to the state of the rest of the city, it could be called glorious.
Etteridge looked at his self-portrait briefly, and then turned to the black telephone on his desk as it sang to break the silence. Etteridge answered halfway through the first ring; his hand wouldn’t accept an order to move slowly.
“Yes?” he said forcefully.
“George, we have much to discuss,” the voice of the Secretary of Defense crackled through the telephone. He was the only person in all of England to address the Chancellor as ‘George.’
“We most certainly do! When I tell you that I want a progress report by midnight I don’t expect to be kept waiting! You’d better have something worthwhile for me.”
“I do, George. I know that last time we spoke, things were not so favourable for us, but now things are beginning to pick up. We are making progress.”
“How?” Etteridge demanded.
“Well first of all: Societechture is steadily being taken care of. They can’t do anything without me knowing, and they’re so caught up with their movement that they’re forgetting how hopeless the whole thing is.” He let out a cynical laugh at this point.
“So they’ll be easy to deal with when the time comes?”
“Tremendously. A large majority have ceased to be thinking human beings, making them follow Societechture wherever it goes.”
“Good. We’ll need that devotion if we’re to manipulate them as planned,” Etteridge said, no longer angry about the lateness of the call. “And what of their activities? Is anything being planned?” he inquired.
“Not as yet, but I feel that numbers are growing to the point where something of a large scale could be carried out soon.”
“Agreed. I want to know the exact time, date and place so that the plan can be followed perfectly.”
“Of course.”
“There isn’t any room for error here. If we’re to use their revolution for our own purposes, everything must be executed flawlessly.”
“I know. We’ve been through it several times.”
All of a sudden, the Chancellor remembered the question that had been burning in his mind all day. “What can you tell me about the higher-ranked members? Is there room for a struggle for total leadership?
“Definitely not,” the voice on the telephone assured Etteridge. “Those members that decide the actions of the group are, if not totally devoted to the cause, totally devoted to the leader. Leadership is solid and will not change until the time is right.”
“I am pleased to be hearing all of this,” said the Chancellor. “I am glad to have you working with me. Those battle-hardened wits of yours are proving immensely useful.”
“Whatever you say. Just remember that once this is all done, I’ll need those wits more than either of us yet knows.”
“We’ll see, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves yet. There is still much to be done. I want you to keep your eyes open, and report straight to me if anything new arises.”
“Of course, George. If anything happens that is out of step with the plan, you will be the first to know. Right now I must be leaving you, but I hope this has proven informative for you.”
“It has. Sleep well.”
“I never sleep well. Eternus Licentia.”
“Eternus Licentia,” Etteridge repeated the official maxim of Lightened England and put down the telephone. The words were Latin for ‘eternal victory’, which was everything that Etteridge believed in. The Light Party would last forever, and in doing so it would achieve the greatest victory of all: power without end. Etteridge always knew weakness spawned from instability and doubt. To remove all options bar one, to set in place an unchanging political system, was to create a powerful and united nation.
We’ll be more powerful than any government in history. Our revolution will be a success, while theirs will be a failure. Eternus Licentia, indeed.
His thoughts were often so loud that they seemed to echo through the office too. He decided that there was no point being there anymore, so he stood up to retire for the night. He walked to the door and turned off the light, leaving the Light head office in darkness. Just before closing the heavy door, he spoke softly and sternly to no one. “There are only two things that can be truly powerful: a man alone and a nation without individuals.”

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:11 am
Emerson says...

Chapter 2:

Chancellor George Etteridge sat alone in his office, with a glass of brandy in front of him and hating the every single minute that passed without the phone ringing.
I think the tense in this sentence is off, it starts at 'hating'

Chapter two seems to be strong in info dumps and its very unattractive. I'm not sure what else to say, your writing causes a loose for interest. The plot should pick up quickly, instead of start to shape out itself. Maybe you started your story too early? I wouldn't know until I've read more.

The last paragraph was unneeded in some ways, you were saying that he got up. he walked across the room. he shut the light off. these are all things we do, and we don't need to be told he did all of this, so why not cut it out?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:07 pm
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Spacing between paragraphs helps on the forums--a bit hard to get through otherwise. Aside from that, I like the brevity of explanation and the interaction in the first chapter that tells more than any long exposition. ^_^ The dialogue 'explanation' though breaks your flow. You've got almost yelled and interrupted, etc. It works well in the style of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; but this is less than Victorian in style. The briefer, I think, that you are in telling, especially when it comes to dialogue, the more keen the impression will be.

Lucy waited for what felt like an hour, but was in reality only three minutes.
...breaking laws...
...potential danger...
The words of the ageing man flew violently around in her brain like a belligerent gust of wind. Not only had she now officially joined what was, in reality, a terrorist group, but she would have to face pain and even death in the name of social change.
But why?
Everything in her mind screeched to a halt.

Here, a good example of where the text reflects. Succinct, somewhat fragmented, close to Lucy thoughts--works best.

Chapter 2--I only got the chance to glance at.

Claudette wrote:
Inertia wrote:Chancellor George Etteridge sat alone in his office, with a glass of brandy in front of him and hating the every single minute that passed without the phone ringing.

I think the tense in this sentence is off, it starts at 'hating'

Sans 'and'...front of him, hating every single minute... will flow without the odd contraction break. But for emphasis, as I think you were aiming for, I'd add 'he was'.

Like so:
Chancellor George Etteridge sat alone in his office, with a glass of brandy in front of him and he was hating the every single minute that passed without the phone ringing.

^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

snacks are relevant to every situation and your argument is invalid
— LemonTheDorkyPanda