Young Writers Society

Shadow (1, 2 and 3)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:11 am
Snoink says...

Read this.

And for goodness's sake... don't think you're alone. I've written worse things than this. By asking for a critique, especially from smaur and I, you're asking to have your story pulled apart. But it doesn't have to stay pulled apart. Half the fun of writing is putting it all together again.

You can write, but writing is an art which you have to develop. There's nothing wrong about that.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:15 am
Fishr says...

Jiggy,

If this was your first attemt to storytelling, your ideas weren't off base. So what if someone comes along and points out every little mistake, right down to a period? You should not quit something you love, assuming you enjoy it.

I'm living proof that if you leave something for exstended amount of time, that hobby eats away at your brain. When I graduated late at nineteen, I left writing for two years; a fateful mistake.

In school, I loved to write. It was more than something required of me, it was a hobby. During those two years when I shut down, litterally something lacked within me. No, seriously. A hobby is apart of you and defines who you are in a sense. So, when I quit, I missed it so much, I returned. And believe me, I was the crappiest writer and was very frustrated, angry and confused. Why? Because I knew what I was capable of and worked harder to accomplish my craft.

Then I found this site and it opened a lot of doors I forgot about.

Honestly, a person learns more from failures, than success. Through failures, a window is open and as that window slides higher so that person can peer out and note their surroundings. Success? Well, there is nothing to learn from that because the window is barred shut and you can't observed anything.

Hope that metepheor made sense, lol.

Anyway, I hope you don't leave from two crits, who I mind you, took a great amount of time and effort to help you. You should be grateful and not dismiss help when it is placed in your lap. That, my friend, is how a person learns. It's a hard truth to accept, belive me I know, but it's good to learn from those who are more experienced than you and me. Yes, I said "me." I admit, I'm a beginner, by far and have a ton to learn.

Hope you stay. -fishr
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:02 am
Jiggity says...

I am aware of the effort undertaken by the critiquers, and I made sure in earlier posts to thank them.
I am aware and i am appreciative.
Doesnt change a thing.

Im just tired. Okay, tired. I have to contend with school right now and an increasing level of pressure. And I simply cant do everything. I invested a lot in that story. I was proud. To have it so thoroughly slammed, hurt. I dont have time for emotion, or unnecessary drama's. My final year of schooling, and by far the hardest, needs all my attention.
So, im leaving. For now anyway.

And no this is not my first attempt at story telling. Its my second, the first being Shaman. A story which I will return to complete when school ends.

Thanks for your concern and for comments, I'll be seeing you fishr. (feel free to email me, if you'd like me to edit/read your story)

~Jiggy
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

Reviews: 1
Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:18 am
Nephilim says...

you people are so... just ...no. bad people bad! i hope your happy. i thoroughly enjoed jigsaws story, i have been ncouraging jigsaw since he started writing his stories ( i really wished he had gone on with Shaman instead of Shadow, but its his choice. but ill have to wait for that one), and how you people got confused on some of the bits of the story eludes me. it made sense to me. im aware that it was mainly just two of you, but seriously most of what you pointed out was s***. you tried to make jigsaw over-simplify his story, you might as well have told him to write: "a boy was being hunted, the end."
and Snoik some of what you said was just....no. like: "Why is he doing this? I don’t know… it just sounds corny. He’s no beagle." about this bit: "Throwing back his head he roared his merriment to the night sky. " its says why he does it: '...roard his MERRIMENT..' he was happy, thats why, i dont see how you could not see that he roared because he was enjoying the hunt!!!
anyway now thanks to you i will have to wait until the end of the year for BOTH of his stories, i was only here to read his stories, so in my opinion the rest of you can go crawl in a hole and die! i know none of you care but i just wanted to express my disgust about most of you. i know you should build on critique, not take it too serious, but must you crush people so thoroughly?!. i thank those of you that tried to convince jigsaw to continue.

*DO NOT CURSE IN LITERARY COMMENTS!*- Griffinkeeper.
Mal: "i base my decsicion on that your a person actually and whole if i'm wrong you best shoot me now..."
(River cocks gun)
Mal: "or we could talk some more."

The following HA-HA is not from amusement, but an expression of contempt: HA-HA!!!!

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:35 am
Swires says...

When I post I give reviews, general comments and a few suggestions to make the story better. Snoink gives a critique in which he analyses everything in order to make a GOOD story even better.

I loved Shadow Jigsaw from a readers perspective. Dont leave because of this, snoink is trying the help, ripping apart a darn good piece and making it better is snoinks job! Yes you are officially employed snoink lol.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:42 pm
Snoink says...

Nephilim wrote:anyway now thanks to you i will have to wait until the end of the year for BOTH of his stories, i was only here to read his stories, so in my opinion the rest of you can go crawl in a hole and die! i know none of you care but i just wanted to express my disgust about most of you. i know you should build on critique, not take it too serious, but must you crush people so thoroughly?!.

He both asked smaur and myself to look at his work multiple times, through PMs, the chatroom, and email. He had seen the previous critiques I had done, and had liked them. So he should have known what to expect. I can't help his reaction.

If you want to see his stories, you can probably IM him and ask to see his work. Or something.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:25 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

anyway now thanks to you i will have to wait until the end of the year for BOTH of his stories, i was only here to read his stories, so in my opinion the rest of you can go crawl in a hole and die! i know none of you care but i just wanted to express my disgust about most of you. i know you should build on critique, not take it too serious, but must you crush people so thoroughly?!. i thank those of you that tried to convince jigsaw to continue.

I believe this is what is called flaming. This thread is locked.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

attempting foot extraction
— Mea