z

Young Writers Society

Koani and the Bandits, part two!

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:45 am
Jennafina says...

Ok! My next little instalment! Read chapter one, and it might make more sense. I havn't really editited this too much, so I'll bet theres a lot of errors. I hope you don't mind. here's chaptah Two.

They huddled together and slept. The night was so dense and humid that drips of dew drenched their cloths and blankets. The morning dawned slowly. To Koani’s suprise, Matina was her usual cheerful self, dispite their grim prediciment.
“Matina, why are you so happy? Don’t you get it?” Koani said, grumpily, agrivated by the iristable optimism.
“We’re lost, but we’re not done for, Ko. Don’t give up ‘till you’re dead.”
“Hmm?” Koani was intreigued by her wisdom.
“It’s not to late to be heros! We’d better get moving. If we’re lucky, we’ll find a village, then we can join them.”
It was just like yesterday but this time Koani was much less enthusiastic.

It was around noon when they sat down to eat lunch. Koani pulled out two peices of bread from her pack, and floated one towards Matina. She put it up to Matina’s moulth, and Matina took a big bite. Koani laughed. Matina was right. They were lost, but not without hope.
“Koani! Stop it!” laughed Matina, grabbing the bread out of midair, and pulling it down. Koani held on, and they struggled over it, Until it tore.
“I wonder when we’ll see other people.” Koani said, drinking deeply out of a pool of water that had collected in a flower. It was sweet, and tangy, infused with nectar. She handed the flower to Matina, who also drank.
“Its a big jungle, Koani. We may never see another person again, let alone our tribe.”
“But you think we will, Mati?”
“Yes. I do.”
“I do too,” said Koani, heartened.
A fly buzzed around her head, and she stopped it.
“Tackling the jungle one fly at a time,” said Matina who had noticed what Koani had done, and they got up and started to move again.

Four hours later they were still walking. At first they talked, but as the afternoon got hotter, they plodded on in silence. Koani’s feet were hurting in her woven sandals, but she and Matina were involved in a unspoken contest. The first to complain lost. She knew Matina was as uncomfortable as she was, probably more so, due to her collapse
yesterday.
“Wait a minute, Ko. I’m not tired, or anything, I just need a drink.”
Koani was infinately thankful. There was a little bubbling stream not far from where they were walking.
The water was warm, heated by the sun, but when wasn’t it? Koani bathed her aching feet, and Matina followed her lead.
They were in a small clearing, just a few feet of space free of trees and brush. The canopy overhead was thick, but not extremely so, and they could see the sun, directly above them. Koani tried to float a leaf up to block the scorching rays. It would go only a few feet above her head. Koani concentrated hard, pushing at the barier, stretching her mind to it’s limits.
“We should probably get going again.” Matina sighed who, like Koani, was gazing intently at the leaf.
“You aren’t going anywhere.” came a voice from behind the tree on the other side of the brook.
Koani's concentration was broken.
The leaf fell with a plop.
A tall man with rich brown hair and large sparkling eyes stepped out from behind a tree, alarmingly near.
Koani heard Matina’s gasp.
She tore her eyes away from the man, to look at Matina. She was floating an inch from the ground, and was looking wide-eyed at the man.
“Get down.” he said. Matina obliged, still looking terrified.
“Who are you?” asked Koani, unable to see why Matina was so frightened.
“Moapari Ropu, and I know who you are. You are now prisoners of the Albatoris.”
Koani looked at her companion, and whispered “Bandits!”
“He’s going to eat out brains!” Matina moulthed.
“I heard that,” he said, pointing a finger at Matina. “I’d watch it if I were you.” He was interupted by a shout from behind him.
“Oi! Ropu! What did you find?” Another man emerged from the thickets. “Shiana!” The second man said. He was slightly shorter and his hair was red as fire.

“Two. Do we keep them, Halis?”
“Of course, Ropu.” Halis snapped, “You know the procedure. This just might be your chance to redeem yourself, after last time. Do it!” Ropu blushed.
“Rrright. Names, please.”
“Koani, and Matina.” Koani said, because Matina seemed to be to frightened to speak.
“Gifts?” demanded Halis.
“I saw them, already,” Ropu said, “This one is nothing special, basic object lifting, and this one,” He gestured to Matina, “This one can fly.”
“Levitate.” Matina said, automaticly.
“Nonsense. No such thing. You’re just not very good at flying.” Halis snapped, looking at Matina with interest.
“Can she really?” He asked Ropu.
“Yes. I saw her. When I found them, she was an inch off the ground.”
There was a rock behind Ropu, large, and textured. Koani picked it up, concentrating with all her might. She lifted it up to level with Ropu’s head.
“Nice try.” he said.
Koani felt an enormous crushing force. Searing pain shot through her head, and the rock was wrestled from her grasp. It floated to the ground.
“Good, Ropu.” Halis comented.
Koani squinted, trying to clear her head.
“Now,” said Halis, “It’s time for them to go to sleep.”
“Right. They need to go to sleep. I’m on it,” Repeated Ropu. “Well, You heard him.” Ropu said, suddanly impatiant, pointing a finger at the Koani and Matina.
“Go to sleep.”

Koani awoke with a start. She couldn’t see a thing. It was pitch black all around her, so dark, that she had to feel her eyes, to make sure they were open. There was somthing around her wrist. A cold, hard, ring of some type. Attached.
to it was a rope. She heard someone gasp behind her.

“Matina?” Koani called out, quietly.
“Koani! Where are you? Where are we?” Koani was never so relieved to hear her friend’s voice.
“Talk, again, and I’ll try to find you.”
“You don’t know where we are, then?” Koani shuffled towards
the sound of Matina’s voice.
“No, I woke up about a minute ago.”
“Brr.. It’s so cold.”
Koani found Matina. They held hands in the dark.
“Do you still think we’ll find our way home, Mati?” whispered Koani.
“I don’t think it’s imposible, although this is a bit of a set back.” Koani could hear the smile in Matina’s voice. That was the thing about Matina, she didn’t mope, instead she accepted their situation no matter how grim it was, she was always optimistic. Matina was truly gifted.

"Wait, what's that?"
A light was bobbing through the blackness.
It flickered, illuminating a set of glittering eyes. It was Ropu, holding a candle. He was coming towards them.
”Ropu,” whispered Matina, “don’t anger him, Koani, you saw what he can do.”
“I heard that.” said Ropu, "Good idea, Matina."
Koani looked at the approaching Albatoris, and wondered if he was going to eat her brain.
Ropu laughed.
“I heard that, too.”
Koani tried to trip him, but the same crushing force she had felt before pushed her powers back into her head.
“Now, now, Koani, we don’t any fowl play, now, do we? Do you really want to go back to sleep?”
Koani said nothing, knowing he could hear her thaughts.
“Rrright. Its time for your training.” said Ropu, who was now directly in front of them. He held up the candle. It iluminated a metal tray, atached to the low, stone cieling. He tippied the candle into the tray, and it burst into flames, creating a flickering light. Koani and Matina squinted, to keep out the brightness.
“Training?”
“You’re gifts! We want you to get better at them!”
“Why?” asked Matina.
“That,” said Ropu, “Is out of your concern at the moment.”
Koani snorted.
Ropu raised his eyebrows and said “Carefull,” before contuining, “You will get stronger. You will work hard, because if you don’t, you will end up slaves. There will be no food for those who don’t deserve it.”
He looked at the candle. It went out in a puff of smoke.
“Rrright. Time to get started. Koani, observe.” His hand shot out, and an enormous chest zoomed out of the darkness. It was wooden and had metal buckles. Ropu opened it and took out a silver cube. The cube was small and shiny and on the top it held a candle which Ropu lit.

“Koani, lift this up as high as you can. We’ll be able to see it, because of this.”
Koani did as she was told. She found it heavy, and was embarrassed to find she could only go about four feet above her.
“You can’t make it go any higher?” he sounded disappointed.
Koani considered dropping the weight on his head.
“Don’t even think about it.” said Ropu, sounding amused.
“Can’t help it.” mumbled Koani.
Matina looked confused.
“Koani’s thinking bad thoughts,” explained Ropu, “Just like you are now.”
Matina blushed.
“Now, Matina. I’m not that bad. How high can you go?”
“Three or four feet.”
“Prove it.” barked Ropu.
Matina hovered about four feet into the air and raised her arms above her ears, dragging the rope on the arm as she twirled. Koani resisted snorting with difficulty, Matina was a show-off and always would be.
Ropu was uninpressed.
“And how long can you hold that?”
Koani answered for Matina.
“Ten minutes.”
Ropu sighed, looking exeptionally disheartened.
“Rrright.. Looks like I’ve got my work cut out for me.” Ropu said, grimly. He gestured to Matina, still hovering. “You can come down now.”
Last edited by Jennafina on Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:07 am
antigone says...

Exciting! I like how the bandits are trying to teach them stuff instead of just eating their brains. That's really original. And mysterious because we don't know what they want with them...
There's a few spelling errors but that's not such a big deal. I could edit if you wanted... But then so could you.
The dialogue is still great, it's suspensful and I can't wait for more. Keep writing! You're a brilliant story-writer. Great job!
Siempre, siempre: jardin de mi agonia,
tu cuerpo fugitivo para siempre,
la sangre de tus venas en mi boca,
tu boca ya sin luz para mi muerte.

-From 'Del amor imprevisto', Federico Garcia Lorca

Random avatar

Reviews: 91
Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:02 pm
Nox says...

I'll read this later on and add my comment. :D
In all the time we have
There is never enough time
To show what is in our heart.

Random avatar

Reviews: 91
Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:16 pm
Nox says...

Colour code: Quotes = blue, Comments = black, Corrections/Suggestions = olive, Extras = red.

Here’s my review:

cheerfull correction: cheerful.
vilage correction: village
It was just like yesterday, only Koani had a little less enthusiasm. Why not change this to: It was just like yesterday but this time Koani was less enthusiastic.

twards correction: towards
strugled correction: struggled
Untill correction: Until
colected correction: collected
stoped correction: stopped
Tackeling correction: Tackling

“Tackeling the jungle, one fly at a time.” said Matina, who had noticed, and they got moving. This would sound better if you changed the sentence a bit. Suggestion: “Tackling the jungle one fly at a time,” said Matina who had noticed what Koani had done, they got up and started to move on.

For four more hours they walked. Now this doesn’t sound right to me you could change it to: Four hours later they were still walking.

colapse correction: collapse
thankfull correction: thankful

There was a little bubbling stream near to them ‘near to them’ this is does not sound right, why not write: There was a small bubbling stream not far from where they were walking.

Matina follower suit. Correction: Matina followed her suit or Matina followed her lead.

block in the scorching rays miss out the word ‘in’.

Koani tried to float a leaf up to block in the scorching rays. It would go only a few feet above her head, however. Koani pushed at the barier, stretching her mind to it’s limits. This doesn’t need to be in two sentences, change it so it becomes one. Suggestion: Koani tried to levitate a leaf up into the air to block the suns rays but the leaf would only float a few feet above her head, however she concentrated hard on lifting up the leaf and was satisfied when it floated higher in the air.

Matina sighed, who, like Koani, was gazing intently at the leaf. Take out the fist comma please.
arn’t correction: aren’t

The leaf fell with a plop. Suggestion: Koani lost her concentration on the leaf and let it glide down to earth.

near to themagain it doesn’t sound right. Suggestion: A tall man with rich brown hair and large sparkling eyes stepped out from behind a tree.

terefide correction: terrified
You prisoners of the Albatoris. Suggestion: You are now prisoners of the Albatoris or You are now the Albators’ prisoners.

“He’s going to eat out brains!” Matina moulthed Suggestion: ”He’s going to eat our brains!” Matina whispered back.

“I’d watch it, if I were you.” Take out the comma please.

“Oi! Ropu! What did you find?” Another man emerged from the thickets.
“Shiana!” The second man said. He was slightly shorter, and his hair was red as fire.
These two sentences should be together since the same person is still speaking. Suggestion: “Oi! Ropu! What did you find?” Another man emerged from the thickets. “Shiana!” The second man said. He was slightly shorter and his hair was red as fire.

she was an inch of the ground. ‘Off’ not ‘of’.

Atatched correction: Attached.

There was a little gasp from somewhere near to her. Try not to repeat yourself with ‘near to…’. Suggestion: She heard someone gasp behind her.

twards correction: towards

That was the thing about Matina. She didn’t mope. She accepted their situation, no matter how grim, and was always optimistic. Matina was truely gifted. Again this can be changed to fit into one sentence instead of four. Suggestion: That was the thing about Matina, she didn’t mope, instead she accepted their situation no matter how grim it was, Matina was always optimistic. Matina was truly gifted.

iluminated correction: illuminating

twards correction: towards I’m going to ban this word!

“Ropu.” whispered Matina. “Don’t cross him. You saw what he can do.” ‘Cross’ is not the word to use in this sentence you can instead use anger. Suggestion: ”Ropu,” whispered Matina, “don’t anger him, Koani, you saw what he can do.”

aproaching correction: approaching.

Koani tried to trip him, but the same crushing force she had felt before pushed her fingers of thaught back into her head. ‘fingers of thaught’? What’s that? Did you mean ‘thoughts’?

“Now, now, Koani, we don’t any fowl play, now, do we?. You missed out ‘want’ please add it after ‘we don’t’. ”Now, now, Koani, we don’t want any fowl play, now do we?.

thaughts correction: thoughts.
illuminated, atached correction: illuminated, attached.

Ropu raised his eyebrows and said “Carefull.” before contuining.
“You will get stronger.
These need to be in the same line. Suggestion: Ropu raised his eyebrows and said “Carefull,” before contuining, “You will get stronger.

cheast correction: chest.
It was wooden, with metal buckles. Ropu opened it, and took out a silver cube. It was small, and shiney. On the top, another candle was stuck. He lit it. Suggestion: It was wooden and had metal buckles. Ropu opened it and took out a silver cube. The cube was small and shiny and on the top it held a candle which Ropu lit.

enbarassed, disappointed, thaughts correction: embarrassed, disappointed, thoughts.

Matina hovered about four feet in the air. She raised her arms above her h ear, dragging the rope on her arm, and twirled.
Koani resisted snorting with difficulty. Matina was a show off, for sure. And still was. And probably would be one forever.
Suggestion: Matina hovered about four feet into the air and raised her arms above her ears, dragging the rope on the arm as she twirled. Koani resisted snorting with difficulty, Matina was a show-off and always would be.

Jen, I love your story but you have so many spelling mistakes. When you finish typing your work on word use the spellchecker (the ABC button with a tick underneath it) it always helps and gives suggestions of spelling. Apart from the spelling you are a great storyteller I love how your story isn’t too slow or drags on about something too much.

Keep up the good work but remember the spellchecker!
In all the time we have
There is never enough time
To show what is in our heart.

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:20 am
J. Haux says...

Jenna, this is exciting and original. I like the way it's developing. :D

But...ouch! Spelling! It's not my strongpoint either, but if you ran spellcheck it would catch most of these mistakes, like "thaughts" and "enbarrasing". :D

And I'm going to have to stamp all over some of Nox's comments. (Sorry, Nox. Don't be mad. Please. :( ) Some of her suggestions make run-on sentences. I just don't want you to get in the habit of doing that.
“Tackeling the jungle, one fly at a time.” said Matina, who had noticed, and they got moving. This would sound better if you changed the sentence a bit. Suggestion: “Tackling the jungle one fly at a time,” said Matina who had noticed what Koani had done, they got up and started to move on.
It's a run-on! "Tackling the jungle, on fly at a time," said Matina, who had noticed what Koani had done. They got up and started to move on. Or you could leave it the way it was originally, with "and". It was grammatically correct, at least.

Another comment, Jenna. Dialogue punctuation. I don't know if I mentioned it before...

When you have a sentence ending in a period, then "said so and so" the period is a comma. Like so: "Tackling the jungle one fly at a time," said Matina. This is not a subjective thing. It's a rule. And sometimes you have it right, sometimes you don't. Go back and proofread.

“I’d watch it, if I were you.”
I'm pretty sure you can keep the comma, and it's correct either way. It's a subjective thing.

But wait! I think you edited this while I was commenting. Weird. And you didn't fall subject to run-ons! Good for you!

“Oi! Ropu! What did you find?” Another man emerged from the thickets. “Shiana!” The second man said. He was slightly shorter and his hair was red as fire.
This confused me. Is "another man" the same as the "second man"? The second man that came has red hair? And is Shiana his name? I'm guessing that it's Ropu that's saying "Shiana!", but he was the first man, not the second man, to appear.

Maybe (and I don't know what you mean) it's
"Oi Rupu! What did you find?" Another man emerged from the thickets, slightly shorter than the other with hair red as fire.
"Shiana!" the first one greeted.

Or are there more than two men? Please clarify.

I think that's all I'm going to say for now.

I like your story.

~Jacquie~

[/i]
SPEW to You

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:23 am
J. Haux says...

P.S. It's okay that you didn't proofread, but you could at least have run spellcheck to catch those words that were almost unrecognizable.
SPEW to You

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:30 am
Fireweed says...

WOW, jane!!! i am SO proud of you!! you wrote two whole chapters of a story without putting in any space ships, jumpsuits, weird machines or anything else sci-fi!!! way to go!! lol :lol:
anyway, this is awesome!! you have an original idea, exciting plot, good description but not so much that its boring, and your characters seem realisic and likeable. keep it up!! i cant wait to see chapter 3!!!
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

Random avatar

Reviews: 57
Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:37 am
Nefer says...

Your spelling is not great but reading the other reviews I can understand it better. And I agree with BlackDaisy, the Bandits aren't "eating their brains". :D

Like Nox suggested use your spellchecker everytime you finish each paragraph.

I really like your story, it reminds me of books I loved reading as a child. :D

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson