z

Young Writers Society

The Difference - Chapter I

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 pm
View Likes
Taiven says...

So this is a really rough draft of the first chapter of a book I'm trying to write. I'd really love it if you guys could tell me if it captures your attention enough, and your first impressions of the characters, especially Cassius. I know the writing and layout needs some work, but I'd really like to know if this is worthy of a first chapter. Would you continue reading? Thank you so much and I hope you enjoy!

CHAPTER I
CASSIUS

Tokyo, Japan - 2053

Cassius was searching for a man named Taka Toyama. Last time it had been Lee KiBum. The time before that, Jason Lau. It seemed his name changed as often as his location.

The place was dark, his eyes having a hard time adjusting as he walked down the carpeted ramp to the main entrance, leaving behind the noises of the street and entering an area of muted sounds: whispers, slurred words, and quiet giggles. This was the kind of place that came alive only at night; that depended on shadows to mask its imperfections. Darkness was its makeup, because in daylight this building would look like all the others, rundown and past its prime. Like a beautiful woman who turns out to be just another ugly whore in the morning.

A group of young men were waiting by the open doors, each dressed in cheap suits, their collars open and ties loose. One stepped out to intercept him. The man looked no older than twenty-five. He had obviously tried to dye his spiky hair a menacing red, but somewhere along the line it had gone horribly wrong, and the colour was now a faded pink with blood red streaks. He stepped in front of the doorway, blocking it, his hands shoved casually in the pockets of his dress pants.

“Sorry kid,” he said, a cocky smirk tugging at the corner of his lips. “We don’t allow male clients.”

Cassius paused for a moment, trying to recall his Japanese. It had been years since he’d last had a full conversation in the language. “I’m not here as a client,” he carefully replied, making sure there was no discernable accent amongst his words. “I’m just looking for a friend of mine.”

The redhead chortled mockingly but then another of the men stepped out. The tallest one. “You’re looking for Taka, right?” he asked Cassius, staring down at him as he puffed on a cigarette.

“How’d you guess?” Cassius asked sarcastically. He knew Taka wasn’t expecting him, but it was still clear who he had come to see. Unless Taka had changed his appearance drastically, they would know. Then again, who wasn’t getting plastic surgery done these days?

“Go on in,” the man said as he shoved the redhead out of the way. “Taka’s working one of the booths to the right.”

Cassius nodded and stepped inside, passing through a thick wall of cigarette smoke. The room was hazy, colours dulled by the fumes.

A woman passed by, dressed in a glittering blue shirt with large hooped earrings that swung with each step she took. She gave him a smile before sauntering away, which was followed by a glare from the man who followed her.

“No snatching,” the man growled before he too blurred in the smoky haze, disappearing as he slid into a booth behind the woman. The room was full of several similar cubicles, each circular with a single table in the middle, usually cluttered with ashtrays, food, and bottles half-full of alcohol. Women occupied the cushioned seats, along with their chosen male hosts who were there to ‘entertain’ them. This usually meant ensuring their glasses were never empty and whispering pretty lies into their ears.

Cassius knew that most of the women who came here were looking for some sort of connection. The male hosts were trained to give that to them, whether it involved lying or helping them forget everything with intoxication. It was their job. They got paid for it, and in return, the women got a fake relationship and an empty bank account.

It wasn’t long before Cassius spotted Taka. He was sitting in a booth, entertaining an ensemble of ladies, alcohol flowing freely on the table. His white hair was tied back, exposing a smiling face. With hair and skin as pale and smooth as paper, amongst the dark-haired Japanese women he looked like some sort of strange foreigner despite his similar features. He was probably not the best looking host in the club, but Cassius could see why he was the most popular. He was different, which was why Cassius was here in the first place.

Taka laughed loudly, clearly intoxicated, but he seemed to sober instantly when he caught sight of Cassius. Two of the young women noticed his staring and looked over their shoulders. Cassius fought the urge to turn away, to hide. He watched the girls as they erupted into giggles and asked Taka if Cassius was his brother.

Taka ignored them, excusing himself from the table amongst an eruption of protests. He motioned for Cassius to follow him and led him to an unoccupied space in the back of the room.

“How did you find me?” he asked in English, a slight Japanese accent detectable.

“You’ve been messy recently,” Cassius replied as he fought the urge to scrub at his eyes. His contact lenses were drying out quickly and they were beginning to irritate him.

Taka protested. “I’ve been careful. Why do you think I even work here? Only place that will pay under the table that doesn’t involve the drug trade."

Cassius looked around the host club, taking note of the women that occupied the area, each drunk and ready to throw themselves at their hosts. He raised his eyebrows. “You sure it’s not for another reason?”

“You think I like destroying my liver every night?” Taka asked incredulously. “I’ve probably already lost ten years of my life.”

“You still have more than most,” Cassius reminded him. He looked around again, but this time his motions were stiff, his expression serious. “Though that may not be true if we wait any longer.”

“You think they’ve found me?” Taka asked in a low whisper.

“If I’m here, they won’t be far behind.”

Taka cursed in Japanese and then looked towards the back entrance. “Then we should already be gone.”

The two silently made their way out the door and into a narrow hallway, leaving the host club behind but not the hazy atmosphere. Cigarette smoke had seeped in from the main room, forming a thick cloud in the air that had Cassius fighting the urge to gag and cough.

They passed a room with the door partly ajar, revealing a women throwing up in a toilet and a man casually touching his hair up in front of a mirror. He smiled and tipped a hand to Taka as they walked by.

“These are the moments I long for Lela,” Taka muttered. Cassius remained quiet. “I wonder what your father would say if he could see me now.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Cassius replied in a sing-song voice, though he knew Taka would be able to detect the bitterness in his words.

“I wish I could tell you about your father, Cassius, but Raine-”

“Will never tell me,” he supplied as an ending, but now was not the time for this. “Can you enlighten me as to why you slipped up again? Our deal was you keep below the radar and I let you live a normal life.”

Taka scoffed and spun around just before he rounded a corner. “You let me live? Last time I checked no one was in charge of my life but me, Cass.”

“You know that’s not what I meant,” Cassius sighed. “It’s just difficult trying to keep everyone alive when we’re scattered across the globe. It’d be easier if everyone was-”

A gunshot rang through the narrow space and Taka’s brains splattered against the wall. He crumpled to the ground, his white hair stained red.

Like that boy at the entrance, Cassius couldn’t help but think as he stumbled backwards, his eyes wide as he stared at the dead man.

They had arrived so quickly. He had underestimated them. He had been stupid. But then he was up and running in the opposite direction.

He heard a rush of footsteps behind him as he hurtled down the hallway. The man in the washroom stepped out, demanding to know what was going on, but was silenced by a bullet just as Cassius ducked and threw himself into the small room, swinging the door shut behind him. The woman by the toilet screamed as he pulled back the curtain of an old tub, revealing a small window he was almost sure he could squeeze through. It was at ground level, and after he broke it with his elbow he turned around to face the frightened girl.

“Go through the window,” he ordered her. “They’ll kill you if-.”

The woman screeched louder, pushing herself into the corner behind the sink, as far away from Cassius as possible.

As if on cue, a torrent of bullets ripped through the door. Cassius dropped to his hands and knees, the bathtub protecting him from the deadly volley. He withdrew a pistol from his belt as he waited for the barrage to come to a halt.

The girl, out of range of the bullets, was screaming bloody murder even as the deafening noise stopped. Cassius took advantage of the stillness to return a few shots in return before he quickly clambered through the window, the jagged glass shards shredding his skin.

He heard the door slam open just as he slipped his feet through and scrambled upward. There was a single gunshot and the woman’s shrieking finally stopped. Cassius was already down the alley, mixing in with the busy crowd that cruised the street, all of whom were oblivious to the carnage he had just witnessed.

He swapped a hat from one of the street vendors and tugged it on, pulling his hood on top of that. He tried to blend in with the swarm of people – the students excited to be out past their curfew and the drunken businessmen on their way home – though he worried about the trails of blood he left on the clothing of those he brushed by.

They’ll find us all, he thought to himself, recalling Taka’s head exploding as he dodged around a couple holding hands. Every last one of us.

But he had already disappeared into the crowd, finally determining what the next step of action would have to be.

It was about time for a family reunion.
Last edited by Taiven on Mon May 23, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed May 04, 2011 11:55 pm
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

Hey hi!

A few little things real quick, then my overall impressions:

Last time it had been Lee KiBum.

A bit nitpicky, but perhaps have something like "Last time, he had been called Lee KiBum." As is, it sounds like that was a completely different person. You do say in the next line or two that they are all different names for the same man, but by the time you get there, the reader is already under the impression that there is more than one person.

There were a few instances of sentences that just seemed to keep going. For example:
The place was dark, his eyes having a hard time adjusting as he walked down the carpeted ramp to the main entrance, leaving behind the noises of the street and entering an area of muted sounds: whispers, slurred words, and quiet giggles.

Super long, there. It could probably be broken up into two or three sentences there, actually. It just sort of seems to ramble and the reader can lose track of what the sentence was actually going for by the time they get to the end.

Overall, I liked this. It had an interesting mood to it, and I liked the edgy way it felt with the descriptions. I'm intrigued, even if I have more questions than answers, and I'd like to read more.

Character-wise, I wasn't quite sure what to make of what was going on. Because I didn't really know what any of the background of these characters was or what exactly they were talking about half the time, I didn't have any sort of history to build on. I would have liked to have known what Cassius felt about a lot of things. We are watching him go along, but without any sort of insight into his head, it's like watching a robot. I don't feel any warmth towards him, or really anything towards him.

I'd suggest maybe a little background and a little exploration of his thought process. Not a lot (you don't have to give away all the secrets of the story right now) but a little explanation will keep the reader from being so distracted by questions as to what exactly is going on and allow them to focus a little more on who is actually in the story.

Color me interested though. I'd definitely read more.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Thu May 05, 2011 3:46 am
View Likes
silentpages says...

"Cassius was searching for a man named Taka Toyama. Last time it had been Lee KiBum. The time before that, Jason Lau. It seemed his name changed as often as his location." Very nice hook. :) I was unimpressed with the first sentence, but then I read the rest and it made me smile. ^^

"to return a few shots in return" Fire off a few shots in return? Return a few shots? :]

Wow. :) I've reviewed a ton in the past four days, and I think this is the best piece that I've read that whole time! It felt like I was reading a published book. Excellent job describing the setting, the characters... Dialogue was fantastic.

In answer to the questions you posed at the start of this, I think you did a fabulous job of grabbing my attention and keeping it the whole way through, and leaving me wondering and wanting more. I would definitely keep reading. I thought the writing itself was excellent, especially for a rough draft.

As for the characters... I think I got a really good impression of Taka, and I think I'm starting to put together the connections between him and Cassius. Speaking of which, you did a very good job of giving us little pieces of the plot without dumping it on us, through the dialogue and other means, so good job there.

I don't know a whole lot about Cassius yet, to be honest, though I'm kind of getting a sense of his personality, and I liked how the women asked if he was Taka's brother, implying that there are similarities between the two of them. The good news is, I hardly noticed because I was so wrapped up in the story. I think right now you're good if you decide to wait a little bit and give us more information about the main character further along in the story. After all, a great character will always surprise us, right? :)

Again, excellent job. I'd love to see more. ^^ I 'like'd this, and I'm gonna follow you, and I'll definitely read future chapters that you will post or have posted.

Keep writing! ;)
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 am
View Likes
questcrewforever says...

Heya,
So, i'll admit, as soon as i read Tokyo i became a million times more interested, so i might be a little biased because i'm fascinated by places like Japan and Korea ^.^ But i'll do my best to keep it general i suppose?

This was a nice surprise, it held my attention *kinda* til the end, but it has so many striking similarities to "In the miso soup" By... ok, i can't remember. It's pretty much the same story line, set in tokyo's "Night life", a bunch of people are murdered, and so on and so forth.

I honestly do tend to lose interest in stuff i read on the internet, but i think this is the longest i've payed attention to something.

Quest
a promise sealed with a teardrop...

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Thu May 05, 2011 2:21 pm
View Likes
freewritersavvy says...

Hey,

I have to say I am quite impressed with your writing style. I will avoid doing nit picks since you already said that this is your rough draft.

The first thing I noticed was how the beginning of your story sucked me in. I think it was the descriptions that really caught my attention. Well done!

As your story progressed I started to loose interest until I found myself in the middle of an action scene! It was well placed and came in at the perfect time. Again, well done!

I would usually recommend adding more of the MC thoughts and emotions but in this case I rather liked the way it read like a movie. I could see it and hear it in my head.

If you decide to write more I will gladly read it!

~FW~
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

"Be yourself" is not advice. It's an existential crisis waiting to happen.
— Hank Green