z

Young Writers Society

The Frankenstein Children

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:57 am
EAThomas says...

Spoiler! :
(This is a part of a novel I started working on last year. I got over 57 pages and over 20,000 words before I realized that I couldn't get much furthur in it the way I was going. That's a lot of work to put in for no one to read it. So I'm posting the first chapter here. I'm sorry it's kind of long for this place. I know there are grammar problems here and there, I'm sure. I'm really looking for style and content feedback. I'd like to be able to finish this someday.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was looking at her. She looked old, older anyway, older than me. I tried to remember the last time I’d seen her. I have a few select memories of her visiting me when I was a child, very young. I have one particularly good memory of her taking me to the park, but that memory, like all of them, are laced with bitterness. I’m not going to forget what I am, not with how I lived.

So here stands this woman, my mother, or as close as I can get to it. She’s squaring off with Dr. Brockman over whether or not I should come with her or not. How old is she now? 30? 35? I’m 15, how old was she when I was first created? I was not born.

I remember her vaguely from my childhood, and the nurses talk about her a lot. She apparently came by a lot when I was a baby, and continued to come by until I was three, when she stopped coming around, and then came back again when I was 7. I remember her being around when I was 7, 8, and on my 9th birthday, then I didn’t see her anymore… no card, no calls, nothing, no one. I was alone again in this place where I was never alone.

I remember my 9th birthday, being taken to the park, being outside, really and truly outside for the first and only time in my life. I was outside of the lab, outside of the facilities, outside of the high walls that surround the only place I’ve ever lived. I remember being happy, and thinking I’d get to go outside more. Even having to return back to this place hadn’t been so bad because I’d had hope… and it was the hope that nearly killed me, because she never came back, not again, not until now.

There she is, standing in jeans in a tee shirt, so underdressed to be in the lab, going toe to toe with Dr. Brockman. It’s amusing watching Dr. Brockman get so bent out of shape. It always is, but I’m not that happy about the circumstances.

“I tell you that you can’t have him! You don’t understand that he’d unstable, all of them are. They are not even citizens. None of the donators have any rights to them!” Dr. Brockman finally starts shouting. Ah there it is: we aren’t people; we weren’t born. You must be born to be a citizen. We were not born.

She doesn’t seem swayed in the least. “I’m not 15 anymore. You can’t sway me with such stupid arguments. You can’t bully me out of what I know is right. You can’t lock me out. Whether you like it or not you will comply. It’s either that or I’ll take this to the courts. You’re confusing citizenship with personhood. My other son was adopted, and is no citizen of this country, but he is just as much person as I am or this boy. They are my children, and I am taking this boy with me. So now you have a choice, you can either turn this boy over to me, or you can face whatever legal recourse follows… of course you’re already on thin ice with your experiments, I doubt any judge will side with you.”

I look at Dr. Brockman, who’s looking at her with tight lipped anger. Any of us would be cowering in fear from this, because it always means something bad, but she’s simply standing there smiling coolly with a look that says ‘hit me, I dare you.’ She doesn’t look like someone who’d lose a fight to lanky Dr. Brockman, not with muscle on her that I can see. Dr. Brockman can see it to, and finally he turns around to me, still tight lipped. “Boy, go get your things!”

I click my heels, salute and leave, very quickly. I don’t like Dr. Brockman, none of us do. He skates the ethics of society by keeping us a secret and telling people that we’re not human, just like his father did before him. I have all the same parts of a human, I am a living thing, but I am defined as an animal, like a lab rat. You are only human if you’re born from a human woman, and I am not born. I was made.

I don’t have much to get, a bag with my school books, throw my extra clothes in a duffle bag and I’m done. I haven’t lived, but I’ve survived. I have no sentimental attachment to anything in this place, none of us do. How could we?

My footsteps echo down the hall as I walk deliberately back to Dr. Brockman’s office, not too fast, not too slow. There’s a heavy silence in the office when I walk in. Dr. Brockman’s glaring at me from his plush seat behind his wide desk. I contemplate sticking my tongue out at him, but the last time I did that I regretted it. I turn my attention back to her and I blink. Exactly how am I supposed to react to this woman? My supposed mother?

She doesn’t let me figure it out. She simply pulls my duffle bag off my shoulder and nods for me follow her. I look back at Dr. Brockman instinctively. He’s seething behind his desk and I smirk; serves him right. I follow the woman out, watching her move. I don’t look anything like her. Her hair is brown, my hair is red. Her eyes are blue, mine are green. Her skin’s more tanned than mine, though somehow I remember it being even more tanned from the sparse memories I have of her from my childhood.

I follow her silently. She says nothing to me. We walk out of the front door. It’s been a while since I’ve last been outside. Dr. Brockman doesn’t like me very much. I’m a trouble maker. I’ve been ‘grounded’ for being a trouble maker.

We keep walking down the path outside toward the gate. I swallow as we approach the gate. Once we walk through the gate I’ll be outside the facility for the second time in my life. Somehow walking through that gate is easier than I thought it would be, just a few steps and I’m on the other side. I look back; the outside of the facility is as sterile as the inside. I look back at the woman in front of me. From here on I’m completely dependent on her, because I don’t know where we’re going.

She leads me down to the parking lot, something I recognize from my lessons, but have never actually seen in person. I can’t help but think how weird I am. I don’t belong to this society. She lets me in to the passenger’s seat of her car. I like her car. It’s old, late 2000s, but the blue is dark, it’s a sports car, and it looks brand new. I like cars, and this one is nice. She dumps my duffle bag in the back seat, and I follow by dumping my book bag back there as well before I get in.

“Buckle up.” She says, refusing to move until I’ve buckled myself in. I feel annoyed; of course I know to buckle myself in. I may not be like her, but I’ve read books, and I’ve seen the studies, and I’ve even seen some movies. Supposedly me and the other kids would know how to survive if any of us were released out into society. I do as she says, and say nothing. She drives out of the parking lot and I get a full view of the world.

It’s one thing to know in your mind that the world is big, and another to see it. The world is big, and I am only just seeing a small part of it. I’ve never felt so small before in my life. I’m not sure how long I have been staring out at the world before I see that the woman has been glancing at me every so often. I want to ignore her. I don’t want to ignore her. Doesn’t matter, she’s started speaking.

“Do you know what’s going on?” She asks me. Her voice can’t possibly be called pleasant. It reminds me of my own, too cold and callous to the world, except there’s no reason for her to speak like this. I hate her question. It’s ridiculously open ended.

“With what?” I wonder when the last time I actually spoke to her was. I want her to wince at how cold I sound, but she doesn’t bat an eyelash.

“Me dragging you out of Brinkley and Co. Labs,” that’s the name of the facility I’ve grown up in. It’s a subsidiary of some big pharmaceutical company. I can only remember the name when I care enough to really try.

“No.” I respond deadpanly.

“Is that what you’d say to the workers at Brinkley?”

“No ma’am,” I correct, feeling sour.

“You don’t have to call me ma’am.” She’s not looking at me again.

“Do you want me to call you mother,” my tone should tell her those no chance in hell.

“Well, that is what I am,” She responds in a tone that tells me that eventually we will have a battle of wills, just not over this. She’s willing to let it go, I’m not.

“No you’re not, you’re one of two donors who chose to give genetic material to create me, you just chose not to be anonymous.” I try to speak as coldly as possible.

“I wouldn’t say Brooklyn was anonymous,” She quips, but she doesn’t sound annoyed… damn.

“Who?”

“Your father, or who you would call your other donor.”

Now that floors me. “You know who the other donor is?” no one knows who the other donor is, not even Dr. Brockman.

“You can say that, seeing as I’m married to him.” Well that’s just all well and dandy isn’t it? sarcasm sarcasm.

“How can you possibly know that?” I sound more amazed than I want, but sometimes the body will just do what it will.

“Brooklyn and I gave our genetics at the same time. Dr. Brockman really wanted both of our genetics,” that bastard knew and never told me! “Besides, you look just like Brooklyn. As you can tell I’m not a beauty, you definitely look like him, same hair, same face, but the personality, that’s more mine than his. You’d be really sweet and a little bit psychotic if you have his personality.”

“I already am I little psychotic,” I shoot back, feeling angry. “Besides, personality is developed by circumstances, not by genetics, elementary psychology.” Counter that, I dare you!

She smiles, I can’t stand her. “That’s not exactly right; it’s a mix of both. Besides, your circumstances and his aren’t thaaaaaaat different. No, you take more after me. If you took after him you’d be all smiles until you got pushed over the edge, and then you snap.” She sighed, and I wonder how many snappings she’s had to deal with.

“I need to know this why?” I finally ask.

She looks over at us as we drive down the highway. I like the highway; it’s continuous, monotonous, and dangerous. I like it. “You’re coming to live with us.”

My mind stumbles over that, and it takes me a minute to pick it back up and dust it off. The interim is silence. She’s humming now, I don’t know what song. “Wait, what?”

“You’re coming to live with us. You’re my son, and you’re going to be living with us. You’re not going back to Brinkley.” She speaks slowly like she knows I’m having a hard time understanding.

It is both what I never wanted, and what I always wanted. Since I gave up on this woman the only time I ever wanted to meet up with her is in a fight. I wanted to hurt her; she’s just a woman, of course I could beat her… of course looking at her I’m not sure how well that plan would work… and what she’s offering, never going back to the facilities, never… I can almost taste the freedom.

I know I can’t hope, but I want to. I am not born. I don’t get citizenship; I am not defined as human, or as a citizen. I can’t be a citizen, ever. How can I have a normal life? How can I have a life at all? It’s got to be better than the facilities, no matter what the facility mangers and Dr. Brockman tell us.

“I never have to go back?” I finally ask. I wish my voice didn’t sound so weak, especially because it makes her smile in a sad and understanding way.

“You sound like Alexei when I first found him.”

Who? “Who?”

“My other son.”

Her other son? “Your other son?”

She’s nodding. “Yeah, Alexei, he’s adopted, about your age too… though I don’t think you’ll get along very well. You might like Satori, that’s my little girl, she’ll be five soon. “

Somehow her words hurt a part of me I didn’t know could be hurt anymore. I won’t get along with him? What, am I not human enough? “Is she adopted too?”

“No, she’s like you, made up of me and my husband.” She said, but I feel like she’s leaving something out.

“What you’re saying is she was born to you.” We’re getting off the highway now, zipping down some street, headed for a residential area.

“Yeah, that’s what I’m saying.” We lapse into silence after that for a long time. I didn’t know that her house was so far away from the facility… though maybe it’s very close. I have no sense of distance, not really. The place we’re traveling though, it seems nice, but it’s not middle class, maybe higher middle class. It wasn’t rich, these weren’t mansions, not by what I knew a mansion not be, but the houses were tall, sometimes four stories, even with an attic.

“Where are we?” I ask.

“Nearly home.” Home, funny word, I can’t say I really understand the meaning of it.

We go back to silence until she pulls into an opened gate. This particular place has more land than the others, and an electric gate. The house doesn’t look too different, but it’s four stories, and seems wider than some of the other houses. “Is this a mansion, it doesn’t seem right to call it that”, and the woman laughs. Is she laughing at me?

“No, no, it just has a town house attached to the actual house part. My brothers Alex and Yuriy will sometimes need a place to stay. Come on, people should be home this time of day.” She says as she parks the car. She gets out and grabs both of my bags before I can get them. I shut the door and follow behind silently. I don’t talk much.

We walk in, and I feel both stunned and partially disgusted by the quality of the house. It’s just so nice inside, smells clean, but not sterile like the labs do. It’s a nice place, a lived in place, but it looks nice. I feel angry for me and the kids I grew up with. None of us ever had anything like this, we had sterile labs, and cold desks, and little single beds with mattresses discarded from the local prison. Why did she even bother coming to get me?

“Hey, I’m home, is anyone here?” She calls loudly, which is only met by silence, followed by the sound of something dropping and breaking. I watch as the woman drops her bags and shifts from a normal woman to a fighter. “Stay here.” She hisses and starts to move forward before someone starts calling.

“It’s just me Kura, don’t worry, I was trying not to wake up the baby, but it’s too late.” It’s a man’s voice, deep and rich. The woman relaxes and a few moments later an old grey haired man comes out, holding a little girl in his arms.

The woman smiles softly and kisses the man’s cheek and takes the little girl from her hands. The man looks up at me and I nearly jump. He’s not old, he’s probably not that much older than the woman, but his hair has already grayed, and his eyes, his eyes are red.

“Demon,” I whisper, a little bit afraid. Red wasn’t a normal human color.

“No, he’s not a demon, it’s just an odd genetic mutation. This is Alexander, my brother.” I raise an eyebrow when the woman speaks, they don’t look anything alike. The man smiles at me, it’s friendly like, but I don’t trust him, and I don’t like him.

“I was adopted in to the family, which is why is why I don’t look like your mother,” he explains, seeing that I’m not buying his whole being related to the woman spiel.

“That woman is not my mother; she’s one of two genetic donors.” My words make the grey haired man glance over at the woman, who simply shrugs. Does she never get angry? She didn’t even raise her voice when arguing with Dr. Brockman.

“Well, you still sound like her anyway,” the man says and looks over at the woman. “Everyone else went out for ice cream, Brooklyn took them.”

Now the stupid woman is finally showing some emotion, she looked intrigued. “Hm… and Alexei agreed to going? Hmm…” She trails off and looks at me. She steps closer to me and I resist an urge to take a step back. “Hold out your arms,” she orders and I obey. She settles the little girl in to my arms. “Tori, this is your new brother, say hello.”

The little girl I’m holding shifts and I get a better look at her. She’s clearly this woman’s child, the face is similar, the eyes have more blue than green in them, and her red hair is a darker shade than mine, closer to a brown. The girl smiles at me suddenly and wraps her arms around my neck, giving me a tight hug. “Brother!” She says in a happy voice.

Honestly I’m a little confused feeling. I can’t help but be reminded of the little kids back at the facilities. They’ll walk right up to your with their arms out wanting a hug. Few of us older kids ever turn the little kids down, because the adults in the facilities will never touch us if they don’t have to. Kids are the same no matter what.

I hate this woman who’s trying to be a mother to me after she abandoned me, and I don’t like this man who’s claiming to be my uncle, but I can’t hate this girl. She’s five; it’s not her fault that her parents didn’t want me. She’s not old enough to understand what I am, and if she knew I wasn’t born she’s too young to care.

I’m brought back to reality by a small cough. I look up, seeing that the woman is gone, leaving me with the grey haired man. He’s smiling again. “Come on, I’ll show you to your room,” he says, grabbing the bags off the floor and heading off, expecting me to follow.
Last edited by EAThomas on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:33 am
seeminglymeaningless says...

Hi Thomas, I'm Jai. Firstly I'd like to say that I actually read over your story first before my review. I seldom ever do this. I guess I just find it easier to review as I read. However, in this particular case, I will not be doing a massive line-by-line review, as your writing is near perfect and there were hardly any mistakes.

Second, one generally hides their Author's Note in a spoiler, or relocates it to the bottom of the page. No one wants to see a word count, an excuse for the story length and spelling mistakes before the story even begins :)

EAThomas wrote:(This is a part of a novel I started working on last year. I got over 57 pages and over 20,000 words before I realized that I couldn't get much furthur in it the way I was going.

On to the very short line review.

I was looking at her.

What sounds better: "I was looking at her."
"I looked at her."
"She caught me looking at her."
"I couldn't stop looking at her."
"It was hard for me to look at her."

"I was looking at her" just seems so dull and boring for an intro. It doesn't grip the reader, urge them to read on. It's a meh humbug beginning.

How old is she now? 30? 35? I’m 15, how old was she when I was first created?

Generally numerals are spelled out under one hundred. So, thirty, thirty-five, fifteen.

I remember her vaguely from my childhood, and the nurses talk about her a lot. She apparently came by a lot when I was a baby, and continued to come by until I was three, when she stopped coming around, and then came back again when I was 7. I remember her being around when I was 7, 8, and on my 9th birthday, then but when I started to grow up and out of my baby cuteness,I didn’t see her anymore… no card, no calls, nothing, no one. I was alone again in this place where I was never alone.

Inconsequential details can be snipped and shortened to make far more eloquent and pleasing sentences.

“I tell you that you can’t have him! You don’t understand that he’d unstable, all of them are. They are not even citizens. None of the donators have any rights to them!” Dr. Brockman finally starts shouting. Ah there it is: we aren’t people; we weren’t born. You must be born to be a citizen. We were not born.

Okay, so these are super kids, right? Raised in almost the most optimal conditions etc etc, taught fifteen different languages, fit and healthy etc etc. There's no way a scientist is going to give up one of these children. Now, if (for the life of me, I can't remember the mother's name - was her name even ever mentioned?) the mother had brought along her lawyer, then perhaps it would be more reasonable. Just give the lawyer the lines about personhood etc, and you're set. You'd have to do a bit of research into the laws surrounding illegal immigrants, clones etc first though, to make sure you get it all right. For instance, cloned animal meat is not distinguished by any sort of label to differentiate it with natural meat. Don't you think the same ethics would have to apply here? Also, there are such things as test tube babies that have to be born outside a woman's womb for whatever reason. I'm sure they're considered citizens.

“No you’re not, you’re one of two donors who chose to give genetic material to create me, you just chose not to be anonymous.” I try to speak as coldly as possible.

“I wouldn’t say Brooklyn was anonymous,” She quips, but she doesn’t sound annoyed… damn.

I don't believe this. Generally in experiments, the people in the experiments don't know what's going on. It's not ethical. Having studied one year of psychology, I know that if the participants are involved in something that could affect the outcome of the results if they knew about the experiment themselves, the participants (in your case, the genetic donors), would not be allow to know or follow the case.

“I already am I little psychotic,” I shoot back, feeling angry.

She’s nodding. “Yeah, Alexei, he’s adopted, about your age too… though I don’t think you’ll get along very well. You might like Satori, that’s my little girl, she’ll be five soon. “

It costs $250 000 to raise a child from infancy to adulthood. Why would a mother with two children want a third? I hope you have a really good backstory to why this family wants to take this boy in. I don't know the boy's name either. That's a bad sign. When I don't know the main character's name.

So, overall.

Your writing is very fluid and neat. I don't know where you're going to take this storyline. I feel as if I missed the beginning. The part where the story explains what sort of testing is going on, who authorised it, how the children were treated etc. I think a chapter or prologue to this story would make this story really stand out, especially if you did it right.

I can't think of anything else, but feel free to direct any queries or further concerns to me by replying directly to this review.

Thanks and keep writing,

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

16 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 am
EAThomas says...

seeminglymeaningless wrote:I can't think of anything else, but feel free to direct any queries or further concerns to me by replying directly to this review.

Man I'm totally still learning my way around. I guess that quoting's as good as I can get for this.

Anyway, Thanks for the review. A lot more stuff gets explained, but I feel seriously odd about posting a large amount of something that I've planned to stop writing for a really long time (maybe forever). It's supposedly a long time in the future. I don't think I'm going to post much more, of it so I'll tell you the idea: Basically, to end the debate on abortion a person is defined as someone who has been born. What this meant was that legally children can be created from different DNA (not really cloned), and since they weren't 'of woman born', they aren't defined as people. I was really thinking of these kids being experimented on like how the nazis experimented on their prisoners: evil, wrong, twisted, but with the end result of a lot of information and advances in science.

It's complicated, and a lot more gets explained... kinda.

I'm sorry for filling up your wall with a long description, but I posted the thing because I liked the style more than I liked the story, so I'm glad you like the part I liked I suppose.
Temp Avi, Temp Sig, Temp Profile... Better quality later.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 am
seeminglymeaningless says...

Man I'm totally still learning my way around. I guess that quoting's as good as I can get for this.

Well, happy belated welcome to YWS :) I hope you're enjoying your time spent here :3

A lot more stuff gets explained, but I feel seriously odd about posting a large amount of something that I've planned to stop writing for a really long time (maybe forever).

Sometimes all you need to do is take a step back from your work, for a week or so and then have another look. If you are still intriuged by the storyline, still amazed at the characters, still impressed with what you've written then continue writing. If you're a little disappointed by what you see - well, I think that's even better because it motivates you to fix it up, shape it to the standard you wish it to be.

All that said, however, if you weren't really thinking of writing any more of this, perhaps let it go. Write something that pleases you to write. If aren't enjoying writing it, do you think the reader will enjoy reading it?

I was really thinking of these kids being experimented on like how the nazis experimented on their prisoners: evil, wrong, twisted, but with the end result of a lot of information and advances in science.

Now see, even though it is twisted and wrong, stuff like this is what makes a story interesting. Would your main character really be as complacent as he is if he's been abused so much?

I'm sorry for filling up your wall with a long description, but I posted the thing because I liked the style more than I liked the story, so I'm glad you like the part I liked I suppose.

To be honest, your story wasn't bad. There are plenty of other stories out there that a hundred times worse, in terms of plot, grammar, everything. Your writing, as I said in my review, is near perfect. You just have to add some more description and make your story a bit more interesting :)

Don't hesitate to contact me if you ever need another review.

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

16 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:24 am
EAThomas says...

seeminglymeaningless wrote:
I'm sorry for filling up your wall with a long description, ...

To be honest, your story wasn't bad....
Don't hesitate to contact me if you ever need another review.

- Jai

I forgot to say that I posted this on your profile before I realized I shouldn't have and just copy-pasted the whole thing.

Anyway, I might post more of it, cause it's not bad. It was more that I wasn't sure how well I was doing. It felt... sparse of description to me, and I was having trouble liking my own characters, specifically the narrator (which is a serious problem for me considering that a lot of my characters are serial killers and the likem and just really not nice or likable people and I love them anyway.) I just felt like I wasn't doing the story justice. I think I will post the next bit, but I'm not sure how much more after that.

Honestly it's awesome to have someone appreciate my writing... makes me feel all good inside. :D You're definately the type of person I'd want to get critiques from.
Temp Avi, Temp Sig, Temp Profile... Better quality later.

I like to create sympathy for my characters, then set the monsters loose.
— Stephen King