z

Young Writers Society

The Last Girls in the World ~Prologue~

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:30 pm
Jas says...

Prologue

You wake up one morning and instead of seeing your mom setting eggs and bacon on the red kitchen table, you find you're father sitting down with an alarmed look on his face.

"Honey, did you're mom say anything about...leaving? Or going out this morning or something?" He asks you. He didn't shave today, which is so unlike your father that you know something is wrong. You shake your head and ask the inevitable question.

"Why? What happened?"

Your father sighs and asks you to call down your siblings. You reluctantly do so, gently shaking them from slumber. They come down, their eyes tinged with sleepiness, unsure of whats going on. Your father is shaking his head repeatedly until you all walk in.

"Dad, what's going on?" Your older brother asks, arms crossed over his chest.

"I-I don't know. Your mom wasn't home when I woke up and she isn't answering her phone or anything. I've called your uncles and all of your aunts are gone, too." Your dad replies.

"Maybe they all went on a secret spa getaway or something," Your youngest sister says, her face bright with hope. Your father gives her a sad little smile.

"I don't think so, sweetie."

You suddenly think of something, raising your hand and pointing to the TV.

"Let's check the news. Maybe something is up," You say, before walking over to the small LCD TV and flipping it on.

"It seems that all the females in the city are missing. We are unsure of what has happened but we will keep you updating. If you have any information on this strange disappearance, please call 1800-555-6201."

There was an uncomfortable silence following that bit of information.

"What the hell? All the girls are gone?" Your brother says, bewildered.

"Language," says your dad in a weak attempt at being strict. That was always your moms job
"Obviously not. We're girls and we're still here," You say, gesturing to yourself and your two sisters.

Your father sighs again.

"I know. Maybe we should call the number."

Your older sister makes for the phone and dials the number still on the screen, before handing the phone to your father.

"Hello? Yes, we have some er, information about the missing woman," he says.

"Put it on speaker phone." You say. He does and a tired sounding make voice comes from the tiny speaker.

"Yes, what information do you have? Do you know where they went?" The man says.

"No, we don't, but my daughters...they're still here," Your dad says, rubbing his unshaven chin.

The man on the phone's voice was no longer tired, but now sharp and alert.

"What? How old are they? How many?"

"Three girls, ages 13, 16 and 11,"

"Hi!" Your little sisters shouts into the phone.

"Wow. These are the first girls we've heard of all day. You aren't kidding, are you? This is police work and you can be fined for joking around in such serious times,"

Your father has a confused look on his face.

"What do you mean such serious times?"

The man on the phone sighs heavily, then starts.

"Sir, no females in the entire country have been found, the President is missing and there has been little communication between other countries. However, we are reading blog posts and such and it seems that there are missing woman everywhere."

"What are you saying? That there are no more woman!?" Your father says enraged.

"Yes sir. Your daughters might be the last girls on Earth."
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:25 pm
Kaedee says...

Hey jasmine. I loved this!
I think this idea has tons of promise; I think I've imagined something like this before in a dream or something. It was pretty scary...
Also, interesting pick for POV. I'm looking forward to seeing how you use it throughout this story.
Here are two big critiques for you:

First, watch your 'your's and 'you're's! You seem to get them mixed up very frequently.
You're= This means 'you are'.

Your= This is a type of possessive, unlike the other one. Ex: Your dad. Your mom. Your car. Your desk. Your...well, you get the idea.

Second, just to make this a little bit more realistic, why does the dad and his family decide to check the news first when they realize that most of the family women are gone? In reality, shouldn't they be calling the police in a seemingly emergency event like this first instead?
Hope I helped! Keep up the good work, keep on writing-

KD
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
Jas says...

Thanks! Later on it will be told that the girls' mother recently left for random trips but always leaves a note or calls or something. I'm not going to keep using second person for the entire story. Just this chapter :)
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:55 am
pinkangel54123 says...

Hey there jaz! I just had to review this because it reminded me of the Green Day song Last of the American Girls, which I just happen to be listening to right now!

You wake up one morning, and instead of seeing your mom setting eggs and bacon on the red kitchen table, you find you're father sitting down with an alarmed look on his face. Would she be expecting her mom to be there every single day? Is that like a routine or something with them?

"Honey, did your mom say anything about...leaving? Or going out this morning or something?" he asks you. He didn't shave today, which is so unlike your father that you know something is wrong. You shake your head and ask the inevitable question.

"Why? What happened?"

Your father sighs and asks you to call down your siblings. You reluctantly do so, gently shaking them from slumber. They come down, their eyes tinged with sleepiness, unsure of whats going on. Your father is shaking his head repeatedly until you all walk in.

"Dad, what's going on?" your older brother asks, arms crossed over his chest.

"I-I don't know. Your mom wasn't home when I woke up and she isn't answering her phone or anything. I've called your uncles and all of your aunts are gone, too," your dad replies.

"Maybe they all went on a secret spa getaway or something," your youngest sister says, her face bright with hope. Your father gives her a sad little smile.

"I don't think so, sweetie."

You suddenly think of something, raising your hand and pointing to the TV.

"Let's check the news. Maybe something is up," you say, before walking over to the small LCD TV and flipping it on. I don't think that she would think that something would be 'up' just because they didn't know where there mom was even if all of the females in the family were missing.

"It seems that all the females in the city are missing. We are unsure of what has happened, but we will keep you updating. If you have any information on this strange disappearance, please call 1-800-555-6201."

There was an uncomfortable silence following that bit of information.

"What the hell? All the girls are gone?" your brother says, bewildered.

"Language," says your dad in a weak attempt at being strict. That was always your mom's job.

"Obviously not. We're girls and we're still here," you say, gesturing to yourself and your two sisters.

Your father sighs again.

"I know. Maybe we should call the number."

Your older sister makes for the phone and dials the number still on the screen, before handing the phone to your father.

"Hello? Yes, we have some er, information about the missing women," he says.

"Put it on speaker phone," you say. He does, and a tired sounding male voice comes from the tiny speaker.

"Yes, what information do you have? Do you know where they went?" the man asks.

"No, we don't, but my daughters...they're still here," your dad says, rubbing his unshaven chin. Now of course I'm no expert in these types of things, but is there really a substantial amount of hair on his face from not shaving for one morning?

The man on the phone's voice was no longer tired but sharp and alert.

"What? How old are they? How many?"

"Three girls, ages 13, 16 and 11,"

"Hi!" your little sisters shouts into the phone. I thought that she was the middle child...Doesn't that mean that she would only have one little sister? It may have just been a typo.

"Wow. These are the first girls we've heard of all day. You aren't kidding, are you? This is police work and you can be fined for joking around in such serious times."

Your father has a confused look on his face.

"What do you mean such serious times?" How does the Dad not know that things aren't pretty serious? Theirs a news bulletin about it and everything!

The man on the phone sighs heavily, then starts. They men sure are sighing a lot in this story...

"Sir, no females in the entire country have been found, the President is missing and there has been little communication between other countries. However, we are reading blog posts and such, and it seems that there are missing woman everywhere." Why wouldn't there be communication between contries? If there are no women here, then wouldn't they check to see if there were women across the pond?

"What are you saying? That there are no more woman?" your father asks, enraged. That exclamation point is unnescesary because you already say that he is enraged.

"Yes sir. Your daughters may be the last girls on Earth."

I think that you managed to make this second person without it bing completely annoying and overly dramatic. It also doesn't make me feel like I'm in one of those pick your path books either. I saw that this was the only chapter you were going to make this way, but if you hadn't I think it would be pretty easy for your MC to fall into Mary Sue like tendencies. That said, just because you have second person in your story at all, it may still have the inclination to be Mary Sue-ish. Also, this isn't the most unique story-line in the world. I've read a book called GONE and it's basically the same story except everyone over 16 I think are missing and the kids that are left can't leave the city. You seem to have a big problem on end punctuation here. I fixed all of them for you, but I'll link you to a help page so you can learn how to do it correctly for yourself. Another thing I noticed that sort of annoyed me, was that they say all of the girls are missing and not all of the women. It just is a very distinct qualification like a toddler would be a girl, but a 19 year old would not be. I think you should maybe change girls to females or something like that.

Always,
~Danie
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:39 pm
BondGirl007 says...

You wake up one morning and instead of seeing your mom setting eggs and bacon on the red kitchen table, you find you're father sitting down with an alarmed look on his face.
Now I like this part, just not as a beginning. I feel like you kind of just tossed us into the action without any kind of build up which takes away a lot of the dramatic tension, and makes it less exciting.

"Let's check the news. Maybe something is up," You say, before walking over to the small LCD TV and flipping it on.

"It seems that all the females in the city are missing. We are unsure of what has happened but we will keep you updating. If you have any information on this strange disappearance, please call 1800-555-6201."
For this the second part is supposed to be the news right? Try making it sound more like a newscaster and less like you're just putting it there just for the information.

"Hi!" Your little sisters shouts into the phone.

Okay the real thing you need to work on is realistic dialogue, especially since that's what makes up the majority of this story. It's a start but needs some work, and I'm not really sure if I like the second person yet, I guess I'll just have to keep reading and see!

~Hope
"I'd rather be hated for being who I am, then loved for who I'm not."

Plus, we offer technical support for your convenience.
— nasstands (likely a spambot, but a polite one, eh?)