z

Young Writers Society

The Acheron Chronciles Chapter 1 Part 1

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:30 am
offthechainjoe says...

I'm a Junior in High School and I've been trying to write my own novel since I was in 8th grade. I figured this website would help me with my progress... However, can submitting my work to the internet keep me from publishing my work?

This is just what I have written so far (so I'm planning on answering certain questions later on, such as my protagonists name...)

So, without further ado..

THE ACHERON CHRONICLES
By Joe McCreavy

“The mind is its own place and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven,”
-John Milton, Paradise Lost

Chapter One:
REBIRTH
(December 2nd, 2084)
The cold tile floor was hardly a substitute for the warm bed the young man preferred. As he lay there in the remains of the abandoned chapel, the morning sunlight pierced through the shattered stain glass windows and blazed down upon him. Irritated by the glow, he turned over onto his side, realized the sun wasn’t going to let him be, and then slowly began to sit up.
Scratching his head in a daze, he gathered his thoughts and remembered where he was. His eyes slowly adjusting to the brightness, he glanced around what had once been a beautiful catholic church. He was sitting up at the front of the shrine, where the priest would have spoken to the Sunday morning audience and performed communion. The building was gargantuan and several hundred people could have attended mass there every week.
But that would have been a long time ago. Decades. No one had been here in ages. Dust and cobwebs seemed to occupy every square inch of the church. Now, this supposed ‘House of God’ only served as a shelter for spiders and vermin, as well as a refuge for the young teen who had stumbled inside during the storm that evening. Drowsy as he was, the boy noticed that a small puddle had formed nearby from the rain leaking in through the crevasses in the ceiling. He leaned towards it and began to lightly splash his face.
Staring back at him through the rippling pool of water was a 16 year old boy. He donned a head of messy, unkempt and uncut brown hair and a pair of icy blue eyes. Both of his ears were pierced and it was evident that a razor hadn’t touched his face within the last few days. A silver locket dangled from his neck, the chain rusted and corroded. His expression in the puddle was blank and apathetic.
He cleaned off his damp hands on his greasy white T-shirt, then turned around and grabbed his worn-out, raggedy backpack that he had tossed aside upon entering the church. After unzipping it, he pulled out his black leather jacket and quickly slid it on. Reaching further into his pack, he retrieved a second item; A sleek, silver pistol. He examined it, turning it over in his hands. The revolver could hold up to twelve rounds. Within this gun, eleven shots remained. One had been fired already.
He tucked the pistol into the back of his pants and concealed it with the end of his jacket. Peering into his bag again, he observed several other personal possessions of his: A Swiss-Army knife and dropped it into his pants pocket… Looking into the bag again, another object caught his eye. Giving a heavy sign, he slowly reached in and pulled it out, holding it level with his face.
It was a child’s toy; A stuffed elephant. It was a purplish-pink color, faded with age. It had been torn and sewn together many times, patched stitched all of its petit body. The boy stared at it for a long time.
Shaking back into reality, he placed the elephant back into his bag. The boy got to his feet and slung his backpack over his shoulders. As he did, he could feel something rolling around in his coat pocket. He reached in and pulled it out.
It was a fortune cookie, somewhat squished with bits and pieces of it chipping off. Curious, he began to break it apart. A tiny slip of paper slid out into his hand and he unfolded it. Printed on it in bold black letters was:
“IF YOU’RE GOING THROUGH HELL, KEEP ON GOING!”
He closed his hand around the fortune tightly before placing it inside his empty locket and shutting it inside. Then, after taking a long, deep breath, he made his way towards the end of the church, pushed the large wooden doors apart and stepped outside into the ruins of New York City.
The boy shielded his eyes from the sudden burst of daylight. Squinting, he noticed a nearby sign, half embedded in the dirt, indicating that this was Staten Island. Or at least what was left of it. Stepping down from the stones steps outside the church, dust kicked up as his muddy hi-tops planted themselves into the soil. He could only speculate what this place could have been like before the war. Old timers usually whispered something about this city being known as ‘The Big Apple’. All it seemed to be now was a discarded, rotten core, withering away more and more as the days went on. However, if the rumors were true, then he was close to the place he was seeking…
Ahead of him was a debris ridden street. A flock of crows took off flapping in all directions at his sudden appearance. Aside from them, he was all alone in this dead, ghost town. It had been like this since before he was born and it would remain forgotten forever. The nukes made sure of that.
The metropolis known as New York City had been swallowed by the atomic fires of the Third World War. Buildings had been knocked down in the midst of the explosive shockwaves, toppling over any neighboring structures like oversized, concrete dominos. Loads of destroyed cars and other vehicles lay abandoned by their drivers in the streets. The boy could picture the stampede of panicking citizens running in the opposite direction of the blast, feebly attempting to escape the inferno.
As the boy stood outside the decimated church, he noticed a cemetery had been built nearby. A sea of tombstones, which had been reduced to mere piles of rubble, seemed to stretch on as far as the eye could see No one had come to visit them in years. No one had come to leave flowers or mourn their loved ones. Corpses of family members lay forgotten within the earth as did the town they once inhabited.
In the middle of the graveyard, something caught the young man’s attention. Towering over the rubble and debris was a statue. Although it had taken damage from the catastrophe that had befallen the city, it had somehow managed to stay in a good enough shape to appear mesmerizing before him. The statue was of a tall man, dressed in robes, holding up a long sword triumphantly. His long, curly hair flowed frozen in stone. His face, chipped and cracked, had still retained a look of bravery and courage even as it had begun to wither away.
A pair of long, feathery wings stretched out tremendously over the statue, as if they were ready to wave down and take off into the sky. He could only wonder what had kept them from crumble into pieces over the last few years. Inscribed on a plaque beneath the statue was: THE ARCHANGEL – SAINT MICHAEL
The statue looked as if it had been placed there to watch over those who had passed away, as a shepherd watches over and protects his flock, guiding them towards a higher plain of existence; The Afterlife.
The boy sneered at it. It was another desperate attempt of mankind to implore some kind of reason and hope into this twisted world. People wanted to have faith in something. They wanted to believe that there was more to the world then the chaos and bloodlust that took place everyday all across the glove. And so people invented God.
But the teen did not believe in God. He believed, plain and simple, that some people are able to endure the trials of life and manage to stay alive, while others, no matter how futilely they struggle or squirm against their fate, do not. Survival of the fittest. That was all.
Wasting no more time, the boy turned and headed down the road that awaited him. This place reeked of death and decay, as did the destroyed New Jersey he had ventured through only days earlier. The boy kept moving towards the north. His destination was even closer now; he could sense it. It was as if some kind of invisible force drew him into that direction like a magnet. Something deep inside him, though he knew not what it was, urged him onward…

Anyway, that's it for now. Please tell me what you think. And just to clarify in case anyone missed this, as a lot of people who I've let read this seemed to miss, is that World War III took place 16 years before this current story... If you think I didn't clarify that enough, let me know
It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:08 pm
napalmerski says...

Yo!
Always nice to see someone maintain the post nuclear apocalypse scenario. I also have a fetish for it, Robert Heinlein's and Frederik Pohl's renditions are my favorites. WWIII, and the axis winning WWII - two of my favorite sub genres.
Now, I don't touch grammar in a review, 'cause I'm bad at it, so I only look at sentence structure and general content.
Here are a few sentences which caught my eye:

Old timers usually whispered something about this city being known as ‘The Big Apple’ - why are the old timers whispering? In fear? In awe? Or are they perhaps wheezing?

Buildings had been knocked down in the midst of the explosive shockwaves, toppling over any neighboring structures like oversized, concrete dominos - here we have two points which got my attention,
a) in a nuclear explosion I don't think it's correct to say that structures fall down in the midst of the shockwaves. I think it's rather the frontal assault of the shockwaves that bring down the buildings. 'in the midst' is not well said here, I think.
b) the visual representation of buildings toppling each other like dominoes is striking, but again, I think it does not feel right with the fast moving front of the shockwaves. The shockwave hits the building row after row, and they disintegrate row after row, without the need to topple each other like dominoes.

stampede of panicking citizens running in the opposite direction of the blast, feebly attempting to escape the inferno. - I think you mean that their attempt to escape were feeble, as in doomed, not that they tried to escape feebly, unless they were all very tired or something.

no matter how futilely they struggle or squirm against their fate, do not. - again 'futilely' is the wrong word here. I think you can actually take it out without substituting anything in its place. I see that you mean that their struggles were futile no matter how hard they struggled, but that way the sentence sounds a bit off.

place reeked of death and decay, - internal logic question - is there a reason for which many living being have recently died there and still smell? Or is the smell lingering after all these years after WWIII?

Although it had taken damage from the catastrophe that had befallen the city, it had somehow managed to stay in a good enough shape to appear mesmerizing before him - this sentence I think should be divided into two shorter ones.

All in all, a nice introductory chapter, to let us imagine the setting of the adventures of the young protagonist. The style is so so, woody, certainly not poetic, but we all know that the majority of the successful books out there are devoid of style, it's the characters and plot that matter. So far there has been nothing out of the ordinary in the character or the plot, but this is still chapter 1, and in a sub-genre for which, as I've already said, I have a weakness :)

I don't know yet where this is all going, but I have the feeling that you might yield to the temptation of using the main character as a fictional representative of your world-view and philosophy - if that is the case, try to refrain from doing that. If you have a strong urge to do this - then at least spread your views out among various characters - that will make your imaginary universe have a less uneven rhythm.

About clarifying when the war took place - you don't have to do it now anyway. If this is chapter 1, then this is either a long story, or a novelette, or a novel in the making - you can always make it clear it other places, remind the reader here and there, have someone remember stuff, etc.

P.S. I suppose putting up your stuff in the net doesn't hurt your publishing chances if you
a) put up the draft version, and don't put up the final edited version, and
b) take off the draft version before offering the finalized version to a lit. agent or a publisher.
P.P.S. In a perfect world, the progress from a draft to the polished product should happen by help of feedback from places like this one. But it's up to you to filter the advice, ignore the useless ones and take note of the useful ones.
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:24 am
~Volant~ says...

Hey, Joe!

offthechainjoe wrote: The cold tile floor was hardly a substitute for the warm bed the young man preferred. As he lay there in the remains of the abandoned chapel, the morning sunlight pierced through the shattered stain glass windows and blazed down upon him. Irritated by the glow, he turned over onto his side, realized the sun wasn’t going to let him be, and then slowly began to sit up.

Great beginning. You have a pretty good sense of flow and rhythm, which is quite rare.

offthechainjoe wrote:Staring back at him through the rippling pool of water was a 16 year old boy. He donned a head of messy, unkempt and uncut brown hair and a pair of icy blue eyes. Both of his ears were pierced and it was evident that a razor hadn’t touched his face within the last few days. A silver locket dangled from his neck, the chain rusted and corroded. His expression in the puddle was blank and apathetic.

Never. Ever. EVER. describe your character using a reflection. Ever. It's very amateur and not at all creative. Not to mention, it really breaks the story's flow.

The only time you can do this is if there's something different in the reflection than the last time he looked. For instance, if he woke up to find his face covered in stitches and blood and his hair white. But if nothing's different, then there's no reason for him to notice what he looks like. When you look in the mirror, do you usually think "okay, I look like a teenager, I have short blond hair that's been bleached too often and wide gray eyes and a scar on my eyebrow."?

offthechainjoe wrote: The revolver could hold up to twelve rounds. Within this gun, eleven shots remained. One had been fired already.

Ah, yes, The Rule: Assume the reader is stupid without letting them know you assume they are stupid. You got the first part down, but not the second. If the revolver carries twelve shots, and there are eleven left, then we already know that one had already been fired. But you had to stop and explain that to me, so now I am offended :cry: lol

I see why you did it, though; there is a definite dramatic sense when you say "one shot was fired." But making the reader feel stupid is not the way to do it. Maybe:

offthechainjoe wrote: The revolver could hold up to twelve rounds. Within this gun, eleven shots remained.That confused him for a moment, and then he remembered: One shot had been fired already.

Or something of that sense. :)

offthechainjoe wrote: He tucked the pistol into the back of his pants and concealed it with the end of his jacket. Peering into his bag again, he observed several other personal possessions of his: A Swiss-Army knife and dropped it into his pants pocket… Looking into the bag again, another object caught his eye.

A) See the blue words? Repitiion like that really chops up your story. Be careful of it.

B) The : after his indicates a list. (i.e., a swiss army knife, a lighter, some water purification pills, etc.) So does the "several" bit of that sentance. But you only mentioned one thing and what he did with it. That really threw me off.

offthechainjoe wrote:Giving a heavy sign, he slowly reached in and pulled it out, holding it level with his face.

A heavy...sign? Don't you mean sigh?

offthechainjoe wrote:It had been torn and sewn together many times, patched stitched all of its petit body.

I assume "petit" is supposed to be "petite"? Oh, well. I suggest you replace that word anyway; it doesn't carry the connotations you need for this part. Maybe tiny, or fragile, or limp?

offthechainjoe wrote:“IF YOU’RE GOING THROUGH HELL, KEEP ON GOING!”

Try to make this as much like a legit fortune as you can. I've never seen a fortune have an exclamation point. And you know the lucky numbers? That might add a bit more credibility to it, also. And I know you can't do this on YWS, but get the font as close as you can to a real fortune.

Actually, now that I'm thinking of it....I don't like the fortune cookie idea. That's a line from a song I know; just have it stuck in his head or something. Maybe he thinks of it and writes it down and puts it in a little collection of quotes that help him keep going.

offthechainjoe wrote:Old timers usually whispered something about this city being known as ‘The Big Apple’. All it seemed to be now was a discarded, rotten core, withering away more and more as the days went on. However, if the rumors were true, then he was close to the place he was seeking…

Great imagery. I really liked the "Big Apple" and the "Rotten core" relation.

offthechainjoe wrote: A sea of tombstones, which had been reduced to mere piles of rubble, seemed to stretch on as far as the eye could see. No one had come to visit them in years.

This is a run-on sentance, but seeing as you capitalized No, I guess you know that. But just bringing it to your attention. I added a period in for you in red.

offthechainjoe wrote:They wanted to believe that there was more to the world then the chaos and bloodlust that took place everyday all across the glove.

Glove? Um.....I think you mean globe. XD gave me a little chuckle, but you don't want that happening at this point of the story.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Greatly. It's an interesting story, and you've somehow managed to introduce us into this world without info-dumping left and right. Well done on that. Just keep a look out for the occasional grammatical mistake and choppiness, and I'd say you're good.

Keep it up, mate!

~Vee
Where are we going?

find your aesthetic and flaunt it
— manilla