z

Young Writers Society

Resurrection - part 2

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:02 pm
Aina says...

I am adding the last paragraph of the first part so that you can understand the beginning of the second part. Since they are one chapter it is pretty hard to understand otherwise. In the backflash I had problems figuring out wich tenses to use so don't be surprised if they are wrong sometimes. I'd be glad for any help.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Stacy did not answer to that. After these five years she still was in the habit of revealing little of herself to anyone. Even to her two best friends who she could trust with anything. She still was shocked when she thought of her actions back then. She assumed that she had been in desperate want of friends to act like that.

It was only a few weeks after she began school at the Marlown Institute. She was coming back from PE, the teacher had let them out early for which she was incredibly grateful. Looking back she suspected she caught Katie in the exactly wrong moment. When Stacy entered the room Katie stood at the wardrobe, which was on the right side of the door. The next moment Katie was letting herself fall onto her sister’s bed on the other side of the room. Marie was the first to react. Originally she was sitting at the desk in front of the window facing the door. When she saw Stacy in the doorway she jumped up and appeared at Stacy’s side, grabbing her arm. Katie reacted once she noticed what was going on. She too teleported to Stacy’s side to grab her other arm and close the door - they were lucky they weren’t seen by someone in the hall.
“How could you be so careless?” Marie hissed at Katie. Then they both began whispering to Stacy at the same time.
“Stacy, please don’t tell on us.”
“We need the chance to stay here.”
“Please, we will do whatever you want.”
“If you tell on us we will make your life hell.” Marie gave Katie a mad look for that. Stacy used the chance to interrupt the two. “I will not tell on you.”
Their faces relaxed. Then came the part that Stacy could not believe she had said to two almost strangers.
“Actually this is quite good.”
They tensed again.
“Then I can practice freely.”
They looked confused.
“It is easy, if you don’t tell on me, I won’t tell on you.”
Marie still looked confused, while Katie grinned.
“What is your ability?” she asked.
“I think the best way to describe it is outer body experiences.”
Marie finally understood.
“Can you explain that? Where is your sister? I thought cwins only come as identical twin pairs,” Marie demanded, letting her curiosity run free.
“You are right,” Stacy gave a little smile that did not quite reach her eyes. “A single cwin would go against almost everything that defines cwins. My sister is at home on Jaru.”
“Ah, that explains it. So can you explain your power?” Marie continued asking.
“You know, I have already told you and your sister more than anyone else knows,” Stacy paused. “Except for my sister Kira and my brother Kian,” she added.
“Can you explain it anyway? At least a little more?” Marie pleaded.
“Please explain more!” Katie demanded, too.
“No. As I said you already know more that even my parents and my brother Max do.”
Marie and Katie had tried to get more out of her during the rest of the day, but Stacy had been unwilling to say another word on the topic.

Stacy smiled as she remembered the conversation that had made them best friends. When they entered the room it didn’t look much different than it had five years ago. By some of the posters you could tell that now 15-year-olds and not 10-year-olds lived in this room but the style had stayed the same.
“What are you smiling at?” Marie wondered.
“I was thinking of the day we became friends,” replied Stacy.
“Did you know that I was really mad you found out?” Katie asked.
“No. You certainly didn’t act it,” Stacy said surprised.
“I knew, she complained to me at the first opportunity. I told her it was her own fault,” Marie remembered.
“Anyway, do you think they will come searching for cwins, because of this odd murder case?” Katie asked out of the blue while searching for her pen.
“Where did that come from?” Stacy asked back.
“As you might have noticed, I did not read the article. It has been on my mind since you mentioned it,” explained Katie.
“I hope they wont. They will only cause trouble. In cases like that I am envious of you Stacy. Hardly anyone knows that you have a twin sister. Every identical twin pair is always under suspicion. Now hurry up you two,” Marie said. She was standing at the door impatiently waiting for the other two to get their schoolbags.
“I’m ready,” said Stacy.
“Me too,” said Katie who had finally found her pen next to her bed.
They left for class.

On Jaru Marcel Donald was looking at his plans. Taking over the government would be easy; it did not have very much influence on people’s lives. The landowners governed their territory and made agreements with each other concerning trade on the planet. Most of them grew the food they and their workers needed on their fields. The towns all had arrangements with the landowners that owned the land around them. Every town and landowner had their own judiciary system. If you moved form one place to another on Jaru you had to make sure you knew what the different regulations were. The government was needed to keep the balance between landowners and towns and as diplomats for interstellar relations for Jaru’s prosperity was due to interstellar trade with basic foods.
There was a knock at the door.
“Come in,” said Marcel, looking up form his notes.
A man dressed in a black uniform entered, he bowed.
“Lord Marcel, everything has been prepared. We are ready to take over the planet government anytime now,” said the man.
“Thank you, I will inform you as soon as it is time. You may leave,” Marcel said.
“Yes, Sir!” the man bowed again and left the room.
“Taking over the government will be easy,” Marcel thought. “But how do I enforce my laws if everyone is used to the government leaving the people alone? The black guard is not large enough to enforce laws on an entire planet, even if I set up a teleportation system for them.”
The solution to this problem was obvious. So obvious in fact that many dictators on other planets had had the same idea. What helped modern dictators enforce themselves was a discovery that Fiskula’s doctors had made about 50 years ago. They had developed medicine that allowed them to separate Siamese twins form each other even if they only had one heart. The medicine made the babies grow back the body parts they were missing. The side effect of this was that the children developed special abilities. The media soon dubbed the children cwins so they would not be confused with normal twins.
Using their powers was the perfect solution. “But how do I get cwins to work for me?” Marcel asked himself. Before he had an answer to that question he couldn’t enforce laws, even if he took over the government.
"Do you choose the path you walk upon or does it choose you?" - Abhorsen by Garth Nix

(freely translated form the language I read it in)

I like to create sympathy for my characters, then set the monsters loose.
— Stephen King