z

Young Writers Society

the striker project a book in the works

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:39 am
Bloo says...

Why you here? Go somewhere else.
Last edited by Bloo on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:58 am
Threnody says...

This was an amazing piece of work. I loved it. I can't wait to read more. I just made a few changes in bold~

boltageman wrote:The snow blazed around the hospital streets. It was the strongest storm the small town had ever seen. The fluff around the hospital made it look old and broken. In actuality, it was very new. (it flows better like this) The hospital had been closed the month before, because of bad wiring and plumbing. At the beginning of the winter all the pipes had burst and spread through the halls making the place an icy death trap.
A single man was standing in the parking lot pushing a stroller with a wailing baby. The baby was very cold and was probably sick by now. The baby was a boy not even an hour old wearing a diaper and wearing an ACDC T-shirt fit for a man. The man ignored the baby’s whining and just pushed him in to the building barely standing up on the ice. (was the man barely standing or the building? Make that clear.)
The man walked down the twisting corridor that did not fit in the hospital right. It was fit more for a maze. (run-on sentence before) He appeared at the right room miraculously. He put a key into the door and pushed it open to reveal a very plain room with only a table and a large cylinder in the corner. The man placed the baby on the cold steel table and as he did several men appeared from the shadows. Each man wore a buttoned up white coat and a surgical mask with their haired tied up in black bandannas so none stood out.
One of the men held a plastic mask to the baby’s face and the whining slowly softened and slowed until it ended. Another man pressed a button on the cylinder and it slowly filled with a slimy green liquid. A third one opened a small drawer (?) in the table and took out an assortment of scalpels and a needle. The same one took the first one and cut a line down the baby’s chest, and put the needle in to his stomach. The baby winched but then calmed down. He refilled the needle with another needle and en (this sentence is unclear) put it in an a few other organs and veins the stopped. A forth one stitched the baby up and then handed him off to the man near the slime and he put him in through the top. The baby rested there sleeping as the stitches healed quickly in the ooze and slowly made the baby stronger and he drank it.

I mostly review poetry because that's more my thing, but I feel the need to review some of your stuff. So I hope this review was to your satisfaction. I thought this beginning was really good.

Hope to see you around!
Peace, Love, and Lattes~
Forever Threnody
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:12 pm
View Likes
TexanWriter says...

Negatives:
A cool story, although one thing did confuse me:
A forth one stitched the baby up and then handed him off to the man near the slime and he put him in through the top. The baby rested there sleeping as the stitches healed quickly in the ooze and slowly made the baby stronger and he drank it.
Okay, the stitched healed in the ooze, made the baby stronger, and WHAT did he drink? Also, I would've liked to know 'the babys' name. Sam, or Marsha? Is it a boy, or a girl? And only one more negative; If you've written anything before, you've probably heard the YWS slogan (slogan?): "Show, don't tell". Here's a link to a page that explains it: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/post487083.html#487083

Positives:
Very interesting story, it had me on the edge of my seat! The first paragraph was really good. I would like to see the next part!
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:15 pm
Threnody says...

Umm. I have a feeling that this was a prologue and that the baby was only an infant. That means it doesn't have a name. The guy carrying it to the hospital probably didn't care whether or not it was a boy or a girl.
So yeah.

Peace, Love and Sugar Packets~
Forever Threnody
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:06 am
asxz says...

very good plot and nice beginning of a story. Only thing to improve on is the Show and Not Tell bit, as i found myself wanting much more description and a more prominent writing style... but apart from that it was a good story. If you do end up making this into a book, could you please PM me with the next sector? I look foward to reading further into this!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:28 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey, Boltageman!

You still need to write those reviews- you need four now!

Onto the review...

The fluff around the hospital made it look old and broken.

How does the snow make it look old?

The baby was very cold and was probably sick by now.

Um, of course he's cold! He's in a snow storm! Also: probably sick? You're the author, you should know for certain whether or not the baby is sick. ^_^

The baby was a boy not even an hour old wearing a diaper and wearing an ACDC T-shirt fit for a man.

You don't need to tell me the baby was a boy. You could introduce the baby as "the baby boy."
AC/DC. Not ACDC.

and just pushed him in to the building barley standing up on the ice.

Confusing. Who is barely standing up? The man or the hospital?

One of the men held a plastic mask to the baby’s face and the whining slowly softened and slowed until it ended. Another man pressed a button on the cylinder and it slowly filled with a slimy green liquid. A third one opened a small a draw in the table and took out an assortment of scalpels and a needle. The same one took the first on and cut a line down the baby’s chest, and put the needle in to his stomach. The baby winched but then calmed down. He refilled the needle with another needle and en put it in an a few other organs and veins the stopped. A forth one stitched the baby up and then handed him off to the man near the slime and he put him in through the top. The baby rested there sleeping as the stitches healed quickly in the ooze and slowly made the baby stronger and he drank it.

This passage was extremely confusing. There is so much tedious/convoluted information that readers will be tempted to skim it.

Now, it's time to tell you about the marvelous...

Showing Not Telling

Don't just tell me how the character feels, show me with description!

Here is an example from your story:

"The baby was cold..."

As compared to:

The baby's blue lips were open in a mournful wail. He shook convulsively as a gust of wind blew by...

See?
I never once said that the baby was cold, but you could tell because of the description.

Hope this helped,
~~~Sakura~~~
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Reviews: 0
Sun May 03, 2009 1:52 am
penguinboy13 says...

I would change the beginning of the chapter if I were you
thats really the most important part you have to hook your readers into wnating more
other then that it was cool, had a few erros =P
keep on writing woot

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Wed May 20, 2009 1:35 pm
ofir says...

I liked the begining actually, only I didn't like the part about that you say to much "the man did this, the man did that" too mechanicall in my opinion. This is scary, to be honest, poor baby! You did a good job, no wpolish it! I'm sure this can go on to be an excellent book! You had a few spelling mistakes, but then again, don't we all. Fix them up- I'm sure everyone told you to, and fix the mechanicall things by adding a little adjectives like "The man put him on the table with a sparkle of hope in his eyes" or "the man slipped through the corridors, scowling at the frozen floor," or something along those lines. This is really just my opinion though.
Anyways, keep it up!
ofir
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:36 pm
emilyjh21 says...

Bolt, I really liked this because I'm into this kind of thing. I personally think you did really well. I really didn't even catch your mistakes because I was so involved with the story! But like everybody else said: Show, Not Tell, and remember to proofread before you post! All in all, I thought you did really well!!! Keep up the good work!!
Happiness is a JOURNEY not a place. :D

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:54 am
Bloo says...

This is nearly two years old, and a piece of crap. Why did you bother reviewing this?
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 am
Lumi says...

Bolt, I think you've got some good stuff going on here, but I'd like to bring one thing to your attention regarding your grammar. Now, I know that it can be daunting to deal with grammar with longer pieces like this, but I have faith in you that you can pull through it! Let's look at it:

Why you here? Go somewhere else.

Do you see it? I see it. Bolt, I think you are lacking a verb, and you know what verb that is.

That's all I have to say for now, but I can't wait to see how this shapes up!

-Lumi

*shamefully goes to review two srs bsns in place of this*
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien