z

Young Writers Society

The Zenith Cycle: Zenith--Chapter One

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:57 am
Bickazer says...

Well, anyway, I'll get a-cracking on fixing the prologue soon (hopefully; a part of me is wondering at my hypocrisy at working on a project I proclaim is dead while ignoring my current project, but I've hit a kinda-sorta-not-really dead end on City of the Veen, so whatever). But for now I've decided to put up the first chapter~! (which I like a TON better than the prologue)

Prepare to see some unfamiliar faces here, as the first chapter takes place around fourteen years after the prologue. Also, it's rather long, being twelve pages in MS Word, so I'll post it in brief increments. Not that there are no scene breaks in this chapter, so I'll be dividing it up rather arbitrarily.

Anyway, read it, and you'll see why I like the first chapter a whole TON more than the prologue.

Zenith: Chapter One

The neighborhood was called “Pine Heights”, or it had been once, back when it had been a proper neighborhood instead of a winding maze of streets lined with fading, dilapidated old houses. There were no pine trees in Pine Heights—there had never been—but there were weeds, plenty of them, growing tall and scraggly on the lawns of the ramshackle falling-apart houses, and obscuring the faded sign at the very entrance of the neighborhood that proclaimed in formerly-green letters, Welcome to Pine Heights.

The sign spoke to no one these days. Back when it had first been built, Pine Heights had been located at a busy suburban district, but now all the people had moved out and away, into the cities, leaving behind the monotonous frame houses where they had once lived. Some years back the Castle-builders had come in the hopes of making the neighborhood attractive again by converting the houses to Castles, but they had only cleared a few lots and erected the barest skeletons of Castles before the New World Order decided to end the country’s love affair with Castles, and routed all of the Castle-builders. Some had left so fast that their building robots, rusted over with age, were still scattered in the few vacant lots the Castle-builders had managed to clear.

These days no one even bothered to pretend that there was still something worth living for in Pine Heights. Almost all of the former residents were gone, lost to the cities or to death. Now Pine Heights was like all of the countless other relics of the suburbia that the New World Order had banished, but a hopeless collection of empty falling-apart houses. It was located so far from the main metropolitan area that few people ever had an opportunity to come here, or bothered to leave behind the vibrant life of the cities just to pay a visit to a dead suburb. To nearly all, Pine Heights was no longer even a memory.

But not everyone had forgotten about the old suburbs. There were still scavengers and street rats, who made their living by knocking down the flimsy doors of empty houses and carrying out anything valuable that might have been there. They rarely entered Pine Heights, however, as they preferred to strip Castles--and there were many neighborhoods consisting of just Castles located by Pine Heights. Still, a bedraggled few came, mostly because they had been chased from the Castles by stronger scavengers, and looted to their hearts’ content. And then there were even a few extremely old people, so old they remembered a day before both the Castles and the New World Order. These elderly folk were so attached to their old suburban houses that they remained, guarding, like obstinate priests, their near-decrepit houses as if they were sacred temples.

And then there was someone else who was neither a scavenger nor a senior citizen, who was quite happy to call Pine Heights his home. His name was Louis Orson, and he lived in the middle of a cul-de-sac, in a frame house that had once been painted a cheery blue, but had faded to a murky gray. For Pine Heights, it was not an unusual specimen at all.

But the person who lived inside was far from normal. Louis Orson had only just celebrated his twenty-fourth birthday, and could barely remember a time before the New World Order had come and without a doubt had no recollections of life before Castles. He also commanded an extraordinary fortune, despite appearances, meaning that he had no need to scavenge for a living.In fact, his kind—young, well-educated, and highly intelligent—could mostly be found in the enormous metropolises, pursuing hot-shot careers in politics or business. They shunned the suburbs, and wouldn't be caught dead living broken-down houses in an abandoned suburb.

Not that Orson ever cared about what others though about him. To him, his existence inside his dilapidated gray house was ideal, never mind what everyone else might think. Most of the time he stayed inside one room all day long, the room at the very end of the top floor, overlooking the street. Once in a past life that room had been a personal bedroom, but Orson had renovated it to suit his unique purposes. Its walls were now covered with multiple screens and feedback displays, while the front of the room, where the window had once been, had been replaced by an enormous monitor and an input station. Orson spent his days before this monitor and the station, clacking out endless strings of code on the keyboard, eyes perpetually trained on the cryptic symbols scrolling across the dark screen.

Louis Orson’s unusual lifestyle no longer seemed so strange when one took in account that he was a programmer. Programmers were, by nature, expected to be eccentric and unconventional individuals. Orson, with his abnormal choice of residence, did nothing to break the mold.

Today he wasn’t facing the computer and hammering out a code, as usual. Instead, Orson had turned his chair to face the room’s door, and was watching it with a marked intentness, one ankle resting on one knee and arms folded. He had remained in this position for several hours already, if not longer, only sometimes breaking the monotony to push up his red shades or cast a sidelong glance at his wrist timepiece.

“He’s late,” he said after examining the timepiece for the third time that hour. “What’s taking him, exactly?”

With an annoyed sigh Orson stood up, uncrossing his legs and pushing the chair out from under him. He strode to the door and pushed it open, but saw nothing save the empty hall of the house’s top floor. A small cleanbot whirred its way, humming a content tune, down the hall, picking up fluffy dust bunnies and wiping away streaks of dirt with its magnetic underside. Although Orson’s house itself was in decaying condition, it at the very least was entirely spotless, due to the armada of cleanbots that Orson maintained.

“Hey, outta the way, you,” snarled Orson as he crossed the hall. He directed a rather mean-spirited kick at the cleanbot, and it scampered with a whirred protest.

Orson made his way down the dust-covered stairs and stopped at the landing, where he peered over the railing to view the bottom floor of his house. All was normal—the round black forms of cleanbots scurried across the floor, and as usual the door to the house was open slightly, to let in a nonexistent summer breeze (as the house’s air conditioning had succumbed many, many years ago). Orson didn’t need to worry about theft because of the guardbot stationed outside the door, flashing its knives and dissuading any potential scavengers from entering. Although most of the scavengers knew who Orson was and wouldn’t even dream of coming near his house…

Well, if Orson couldn’t see the person whom he was expecting, it was plain that they weren’t here. He conceded defeat and tromped back up the stairs, kicking aside a cleanbot as he did so.

“Late, damn it, he’s an hour late,” complained Orson as he sank back into his chair, this time slouching again the worn leather. He checked his timepiece again--a pointless gesture, as fewer than five minutes had transpired since he had left the room.

Once more, Orson pushed his shades up his long nose, as they had fallen again. He supposed he should try on his new pair, since they’d fit better. Corseley had, after all, taken care to get them custom-made, and Orson supposed it was rude that he hadn’t so much as opened the present his politician friend had given him for his birthday. But most of Orson rebelled against the thought of replacing the battered red shades he always wore, the same shades that had seen him through thick and thin for almost seven years. What the heck, they still managed to stay on his face, and for Orson that was more than enough. Corseley had always complained about Orson being cheap, and Orson had to concede that this was a very valid point. But Orson wasn’t a hot-shot politician raking in the cash like Corseley was.

And as if thinking about his late visitor was the cue, with a sudden start Orson heard the familiar low humming sound of a hovercar pulling to a gentle stop in front of his house. He half-jerked out of his seat, a part of him wanting to stomp up to Corseley and demand just what the hell his problem was, why was he so late, but Orson managed to suppress his instincts and remained sprawled in his seat, waiting for Corseley to arrive. Besides, it would have been too much trouble to get up just to shout at Corseley.

“You know me. It’s Assemblyman Corseley, to see Orson.” Even up in his room, Orson clearly heard Corseley speak to the guardbot, which no doubt had blocked his path and demanded identification, as per procedure. Orson should know, as he had built the guardbot himself.

He heard Corseley step with infinite carefulness around the cleanbots—that Corseley, always so careful—and scale the stairs. By the time Corseley had crossed the hall and pushed open the door to the room, Orson was prepared, and greeted his visitor with a wide, lazy smirk.

“Hey, someone’s a little late,” he said, making no effort at hiding the sarcasm that pervaded his voice.

Corseley glared back at Orson—clearly, he wasn’t in a mood to joke. There was a definite, palpable anger shining in the crystal blue eyes behind his spectacles, and his arms were folded with a firm obstinancy across his suited chest, the suit which was rather rumpled now. Orson supposed that around two hours in a hovercar would do that to one’s clothes, however.

“I know,” said Corseley, his voice quiet as always, but suffused with anger. “But not without reason.”

“Yeah?” said Orson, beckoning Corseley in with a lazy wave of his hand. He found that all of his anger at his companion had since passed, replaced by curiosity—Orson could never stay angry at anyone for long. “It’s got to be a good reason, for you to be, what, an hour late?”

“It is,” snapped Corseley, entering the room. He cast a brief glance around although nothing had changed since the last time he’d been here. “You see, after the Assembly adjourned today, I went to the station as usual, since that was where I’d parked my hovercar—”

“Yeah, yeah,” cut in Orson with no small amount of rudeness. That Corseley…he was always so good at hedging, although Orson supposed that was a necessary skill for a politician. “Okay, so you went to the station. Then what?”

Corseley sighed, obviously miffed about being interrupted—after all, they had rules for this sort of thing in the Assembly.. But Orson wasn’t a politician and he couldn't give a damn for rules. He fixed the blonde politician with an intent look, waiting for Corseley to continue his story.

“All right, then,” said Corseley. “I went to the station…and although I normally don’t look at such things, I happened to notice that the magazine stand had…well, a new issue of Events had come out.”

“Ah,” said Orson, catching on in that moment. He sat up straighter in his chair and intensified his scrutiny of Corseley, noticing this time the rolled up magazine the politician clutched in one thin pale hand. “And it had me on the cover, didn’t it?”

“You’re right, it did,” said Corseley, his mouth flattening into a thin line of disapproval. “It was that interview that Events did with you—I forget, in February, I believe—”

“Yeah, February,” agreed Orson. Corseley nodded stiffly but continued without interruption.

“So, it was that interview. I picked it up and bought it, of course, but by the time I was finished, traffic had swelled…considerably. It took me almost an hour to leave the city limits…while I was waiting, I passed time by reading the interview...and I noticed that they had some rather…unflattering…things to say about you,” he said, turning to glare at Orson over his spectacles. “Mostly due to certain things you told them about, oh, the New World Order.”

By the time Corseley had finished Orson found that he was grinning ever-so-slightly. He knew that it was inappropriate and definitely not the right time to be feeling this way, but he still couldn’t help but feel faintly amused at Corseley’s righteous indignation. “Ah. Pray tell me. What marvelous compliments did Events magazine shower upon me, Peter?”

Peter Corseley shot Orson a dirty look (that Orson returned with a smile) but then unfurled the magazine clutched in his hand. Its ends immediately curled, obviously desiring to roll together again—that was how tightly Corseley had been holding it. The cover displayed a prominent picture of Orson smiling with his usual languid assurance into the camera, red shades obscuring his eyes, tousled auburn hair swept over his forehead. Orson only had time to glimpse the cover, however, before Corseley had flipped the magazine open and turned the pages so quickly they appeared white flapping blurs.

After some time flipping, he stopped, to hold the magazine before him and read, in a loud voice for Orson’s benefit, even though Orson wasn’t deaf, “‘Earlier this year Events reporter Cynthia Bay had the privilege of a coveted interview with the Second Genius of the New World Order—’”

“Ah!” interrupted Orson, springing out of his seat a little in his triumph. He shook a finger at a startled Corseley and continued, “There’s the first count they’re wrong and they haven’t even gotten to the interview yet! Me, the second genius? That’s just preposterous. Come on, I’m not the second genius to have been born into this world. There’ve been years—a good five hundred of them—of history before those granfallooners took over. What about all the scientific and literary greats before me? To say I’m only the ‘second genius’ is just plain ignorance and idiocy. Don’t you agree, Peter?”

“Orson…” sighed Corseley in that voice clearly implying that he was tired of this, of hearing this all the time, because Orson without fail would always bring up this topic whenever Corseley visited. “Orson, what you’re saying is heresy.”

“Yeah, I know it’s heresy,” retorted Orson, crossing his legs—ankle over knee—again, and folding his arms. “It’s heresy, but it’s true.”

“Orson…” said Corseley again, helplessly. Orson gave Corseley a perfect smile, since he knew this would probably annoy Corseley even more.

“All right, Pete, carry on,” he said. “Let’s see how horribly Events magazine misrepresented me, shall we?”

“Oh, Orson…if you wish.” Corseley trailed off with a resigned sigh, and looked back down at the magazine. “It really doesn’t say much beside the usual tabloid business, I must warn you.”

Orson arched an auburn eyebrow. “Really, now. You mean they try to discredit me by saying I’m insane?”

“Basically,” agreed Corseley, rifling through the pages of the interview. “Here, you should see this—here Bay calls you an ‘utterly irresponsible, hopelessly insensitive, and completely mad genius’.”

“Wow,” said Orson with no small amount of sarcasm. He folded his arms behind his head and leaned back into the chair, the leather that was constantly warm from Orson’s perpetual presence. “She sure went out of her way to slander me, didn’t she? Although I must say that I do appreciate the ‘genius’ bit…”

The slightest ghost of a smile actually flickered across Corseley’s face, and the politician shook his white-blonde head, looking both frustrated and amused at Orson’s reaction. Orson merely responded with a casual grin.

“As you can see,” said Corseley, “she didn’t have very many nice things to say about you. The rest of the article is in the same vein. And that brings us to the reason why I’m here.”

“Oh, Peter,” sighed Orson, turning away from Corseley and adjusting his shades at the same time. “Must it come to this?”

“Yes, it must,” was Corseley’s tight-lipped, serious response. “I am warning you, Orson, for your own good—stop criticizing the Order so damn often. And that’s not only because I’m a politician. It’s also because I’m your friend. I’m worried for you, Orson. You see, the Order is obsessed with you, and I don’t mean it in a good way.”

“What’re you trying to say, Pete?” said Orson, turning back towards Corseley and allowing a mischievous smile to slowly cross his face. “What, are you saying that you’re afraid the Order will kill me?”

Corseley leapt back as if physically struck, a look of both shock and revulsion crossing his face and twisting his pale features. It took him several moments to speak, as his mouth opened and closed and his Adam’s apple bobbed, and his words seemed stuck in his throat. But finally, the words did come, in a tight, almost squeaked, rush.

“Of—of course not, Orson—you must be insane—they wouldn’t kill you, oh, for goodness’ sake, Orson—you are the Second Genius—the Order would never—”

“You never know,” said Orson cavalierly, although he personally didn’t believe his own idiotic theory. Of course the New World Order wouldn’t kill their Second Genius. Then they’d have to go through the trouble of finding a Third Genius, and seeing as Orson had no students, they couldn’t just do what they did with the First Genius and declare his student the Second Genius after he’d passed away.

“You…you are being idiotic, Orson,” said Corseley in an indignant huff.

“Aww, relax, Peter,” said Orson, shaking his head. “And could ya do me a favor?”

“What?” said Corseley, almost petulantly. Orson had to suppress the sudden bizarre urge to laugh.

“Stop calling me ‘Orson’ all the time, will you?” said Orson. “Look, you can call me ‘Louis’ if you like, Peter. No need to be so formal.”

“Orson…” said Corseley with a little shake of his head. Well, it appeared he wasn’t following Orson’s suggestion. Orson shrugged. Oh well…if Peter wanted to call him by last name then Orson wouldn’t stop him, although he’d be annoyed.

“So, anyway, Peter,” said Orson, turning his chair back around to face his main monitor and input station. “Segueing from Events magazine…there’s a reason why I called you here, you know.”

“Really, now,” said Corseley. Orson could no longer see Corseley now, but there was no mistaking the definite petulant note that had crept into the politician’s voice. “I thought it was because you just wanted some company.”

“Really, now?” Orson couldn’t help it—he threw his head back and laughed, a long, loud, raucous laugh that rang throughout the room and caused a cleanbot that had entered to immediately scamper, whirring in fear. Corseley, however, was far too used to Orson’s raucous laughs to really care, and he merely turned to shoot Orson an irritated glare.

“No, I was really thinking that,” he insisted. “You must get rather lonely out here...in the middle of nowhere, with only robots for company. I know I would get lonely.”

“Don’t judge everyone by your standards,” replied Orson flippantly, although he understood Corseley’s attitude. Most normal people would probably become lonely or even insane, living in an abandoned suburb without any other humans around save the occasional scavenger. But Orson had never considered himself normal…something he’d inherited from his mentor, he supposed.

“Of course. You’re right,” said Corseley, seemingly having taken Orson’s words seriously. He should know better than that. Orson was much harder to offend than that, after all. “That was insensitive of me…”

“Come off it, Peter,” said Orson with a dismissive wave of his hand. “I’m sure you can’t be any more insensitive than this ‘hopelessly insensitive mad genius’ or whatever.”

To Orson’s relief, Corseley responded with a laugh, a dry little chuckle. “You’re right, you’re right, of course…but wait a second. Where did you get that?”

With the last words, Corseley’s tone suddenly became sharp and intent. Orson, confused, turned around to fix Corseley with a blank stare.

“Huh?” he said, while the blonde politician looked intently at Orson’s…at Orson’s hand, it seemed. With a sudden flash of insight Orson realized exactly what Corseley was looking at, and he moved his hand to rest of the back of the seat, giving Corseley an even better view of the tarnished, cracked, plain silver band on his right index finger.

“Oh, you mean this?” said Orson, and he found himself inexplicably grinning. Trust Corseley to be observant enough to notice…and really, it was fortunate that Corseley had stumbled upon this subject, because it had everything to do with the reason why Orson had summoned Corseley in the first place. “It’s what I wanted to talk with you about.”

~La la la, that's all for now! Sorry to cut off on such an inoppportune moment, but agian, this chapter has no scene breaks so there's no real way to naturally slice and dice it into pieces.

Honest critique is appreciated beyond anything in the world. Really, you guys are the greatest. ^^ In particular, again, I want commentary on my prose, and specifically...I'd like to know your thoughts on the characters, and the whole Events deal, too. I feel like I breezed over that too quickly, so if you think it should be elaborated/expanded then just say so. I really don't mind lengthening this chapter (I almost feel it needs to be longer). I'll probably edit this one quicker too since I don't feel like cringing and retching every time I read through it.

And I pray to dear god that none of you are confused. The transition 'twene the prologue and the first chapter IS rather abrupt, and I'm afraid I might end up confuddling a few readers who were expecting to read more about Brit, Hale, and Magnus rather than two completely new characters. But Louis and Peter WILL be the main characters of the book, and the two other main characters will be introduced next chapter. Which I've written about half of, and after that...I actually haven't written ANYTHING else from the Zenith Cycle out. I have plenty of plotting, though. A whole composition book's worth.

So! Comment away! The really interesting stuff hasn't started happening yet, but all the same, you're patient people. Tell me what you like or dislike about this current scene. ~_^
Last edited by Bickazer on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:25 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

Sorry this took so long, I’d been planning to write a review all weekend, but I got kinda busy with a whole bunch of random things. XD

Anyway! Quite an exceptional first chapter here. I really enjoyed reading it.

I definitely like these two new characters as well, both are very likable. I like how well their opposite-ish personalities bounce off each other, they were really believable as individual personalities and as friends.

I also adore your dialogue—it sounds just right, very natural. In all cases, it showcased the character’s personalities very well; Orson’s slangy, kind of careless speech and Corseley’s more controlled, serious dialogue.

Hmm… I do think the Events thing could be expanded on a tiny bit more. After all, if this was an interview, I’d presume Orson was answering questions about something… what did they ask and what did he say? Just, like, in general. That might help you expand on the article more, while giving us a little more perspective on the world. What did he say about the Order that it ticked them off so much?

The transition… I’m not sure if it is or isn’t too abrupt, since I had your author’s notes to tell me it was coming. Perhaps, since this is written in omniscient POV, if you wanted to make it clearer, you could mention something like, “It had been only fourteen years since the day Zenith and his friends had fought; but Pine Heights was now almost unrecognizable.” Only much better written than that, of course. ^^; Or you could just leave things as-is, letting your audience figure it out as time unfolds.

I do have a few prose-related suggestions, but they’re kinda nitpicky and shallow:

proclaimed in discolored formerly-green letters, Welcome to Pine Heights.

Those two adjectives together sound a little awkward…. I suggest ditching the “discolored.” Actually, I think you could lessen the adjectives in general in this chapter, maybe? Just a thought. There are quite a few places where there are multiple or redundant adjectives to describe one thing. *pot calls kettle black*

Back when it had first been built Pine Heights had been located at a busy suburban district,

I think you may need a comma after “built.” (Though I’m very comma-happy, so you might want to get a second opinion.)

Now Pine Heights was like all of the countless other relics of the suburbia that the New World Order had banished, but a hopeless collection of empty falling-apart houses.

This may be just me, but I’ve never liked when “but” is used as a substitute for “only.” It sounds a little over-dramatic and over-poetic, and I always misread it as “but” as in “however.” Eh, do what you will.

There were still scavengers and street rats, who made their living by knocking down the flimsy doors of the empty houses and carried out anything valuable that might have been there.

I think “carrying” might work better than “carried.”

“It’s got to be a good reason, for you to be, what, an hour late.”

I think if you’re going to use “what,” than there should be a question mark after “late.”

Well, it appeared he wasn’t following Orson’s suggesting.

“Suggestion” might work better.

Other than that, I thought your prose was just fine; I don’t see why you hate it so much. XD

Anyway, excellent work, I’m very much looking forward to the next bit.

And sorry if my critique sounds kinda bland and shallow and not very detailed. My mad critiquing skillz seem to have deserted me today. XD You know, the ones that I totally had in the first place? [/sarcasm] XD
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

157 Reviews

Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:53 am
Bickazer says...

I definitely like these two new characters as well, both are very likable. I like how well their opposite-ish personalities bounce off each other, they were really believable as individual personalities and as friends.

That was my intention; Louis and Peter were always meant to play off each other that way (actually...I kind of wrote them intending their relationship to have a romantic subtext, but...whatever. If you don't want to see it you don't have to). I like writing characters in groups/ensembles (if that makes sense) even more than individually, because you can work out how the characters interact with each other and so on. If that makes sense. That is, I mean to say that I created Zenith and BHM together, all that the same time, because I always intended them to be a group. Same goes for how I created Louis and Peter--as a pair. That's probably why they contrast each other so succesfully. Not to mention I love both of them and their personalities to peices, which makes it easier for me to write them, methinks.

Hmm… I do think the Events thing could be expanded on a tiny bit more. After all, if this was an interview, I’d presume Orson was answering questions about something… what did they ask and what did he say? Just, like, in general. That might help you expand on the article more, while giving us a little more perspective on the world. What did he say about the Order that it ticked them off so much

Precisely, precisely, I've been thinking this for some time too but never got around to doing it. The reason it was so short was that ay) in the original draft, that bit wasn't even there, and bee) I glossed over it quickly in the second draft because I wanted to get to the more interesting (in my opinion) next part. Which INVOLVES ZENITH. But yeah, I'll definitely go back and expand on the Events deal.

The transition… I’m not sure if it is or isn’t too abrupt, since I had your author’s notes to tell me it was coming. Perhaps, since this is written in omniscient POV, if you wanted to make it clearer, you could mention something like, “It had been only fourteen years since the day Zenith and his friends had fought; but Pine Heights was now almost unrecognizable.” Only much better written than that, of course. ^^; Or you could just leave things as-is, letting your audience figure it out as time unfolds.

No, I intended the audience to piece it together themselves--it eventually does get explicitly stated that this is the amount of years since Zenith deactivated...hell, maybe even in later in the first chapter itself. :) Although now I'm confused about whether it's thirteen or fourteen years. The timelines aren't exactly set in stone yet, though (mostly because people's birthdays will convolute a lot of them...don't ask)

Those two adjectives together sound a little awkward…. I suggest ditching the “discolored.” Actually, I think you could lessen the adjectives in general in this chapter, maybe? Just a thought. There are quite a few places where there are multiple or redundant adjectives to describe one thing. *pot calls kettle black*

Thanks for the suggestions, I do probably use too many adjectives (not as much as adverbs, though...but I'm trying). I didn't notice you using too many adjectives, though, in Land of Sky, Land of Rain at the very least. :) Actually, at times I felt your description was a tad...sparse. But it's my story we're critiquing here, so I shouldn't get off-topic. >_>

I think you may need a comma after “built.” (Though I’m very comma-happy, so you might want to get a second opinion.)

I'm comma-happy too. You should see some of the hideous sentences I string together, solely by virtue of multiple commas, because I just go on and on and can't seem to find a stopping place, despite it being something that I really must change, since that leads to runons... Yeah, something like that. Maybe I was tyring to explicitly avoid that in that sentence, but how can I tell, I wrote that way back in May. :D

“Suggestion” might work better.

*smacks forehead* Thank you SO damn much for that; I'm surprised I didn't catch it and I've read this chapter more than twenty times already! Friggin' typos...>_> I make a lot of them since I type very, VERY fast (forget the exact WPM...it's been a while since I took a keyboarding class). Sacrifices accuracy for speed. What can ya do.

And sorry if my critique sounds kinda bland and shallow and not very detailed. My mad critiquing skillz seem to have deserted me today. XD You know, the ones that I totally had in the first place? [/sarcasm] XD

Noo, nooo, that was VERY informative critique. Thanks so much for it! I like this chapter but was really afraid the transition between the prologue and it would be...abrupt. I'm very glad you assuaged my worries, and very glad for the nitpicks too, in particular the typo. *grumble grumble* how'd I let it through? *grumble grumble* Thank you for being thorough. ^^

260 Reviews

Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:11 am

(actually...I kind of wrote them intending their relationship to have a romantic subtext,

XD You know, it's funny, because I thought the same. The whole time I was reading this, I was pretty much thinking, "Wow, I totally ship them." XD I was right, hurrah! So yes, very excellent job on the characterization there.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:26 am
sokool15 says...

Hahahaha - does "BHM" stand for Big High Master? Or am I waaay off? :P Sorry, I couldn't help it - just when I saw BHM I immediately thought of Big High Master... *sigh* (I always do that with license plates, too. Instead of seeing 867-BTC, I see 867-Buffalo Tazering Center) My convoluted mind all wacko again. *pulls on the brain reins*

You're definitely right. Though I did enjoy the prologue a lot, and I still thought it was well-written, this chapter (or partial chapter, *frowns*) is very much more likeable. Not necessarily the characters themselves - I really got enormously attached to Zenith in an astonishingly short amount of time - but just in the overall tone. It's very cleverly written and literary - I definitely caught the romantic subtext, by the way. It's a very intelligent piece, and I loved reading it.

I love the society you've created. It's sci-fi without being too whacked out, and the characters aren't cheesy, and neither is the context. It's all very matter-of-fact and realistic. Excellent job!

You had a couple more problems a few paragraphs in with the ever excessive Castle word. Tsk tsk tsk... but you can take care of that yourself.

There was one place where Louis said: "No, really?" and then right afterwards, Peter said: "No, really." It was a little awkward unless you did that on purpose - but it didn't really feel intentional enough to avoid the awkwardness. *shrugs* just a thought. Sorry I can't locate the exact spot of that for you.

Also at another as-yet-unknown location you forgot to put a space after a period. Just a typo.

Other than those huge, major problems that I've obviously been majorly helpful in overhauling your piece to point out - (note the sarcasm) - GOOD JOB AND POST MORE SOON! (I'll be along with a pm ASAP. Don't languish, heh heh.)

Thanks for letting me know you'd posted this, by the way! It was totally worth the time and attention.
Au revoir,
MademoiselleKool 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

157 Reviews

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:38 pm
Bickazer says...

sokool15 wrote:Hahahaha - does "BHM" stand for Big High Master? Or am I waaay off? :P Sorry, I couldn't help it - just when I saw BHM I immediately thought of Big High Master... *sigh* (I always do that with license plates, too. Instead of seeing 867-BTC, I see 867-Buffalo Tazering Center) My convoluted mind all wacko again. *pulls on the brain reins*

No, noo, it stands for Brit, Hale, and Magnus (this is bad, but I tend to group my characters like this--later on you'll see a group I've constantly referred to in my notes as "GDP". How much later I don't know, as I haven't actually written any scenes with them together yet). >_> Nice guess, though.

I definitely caught the romantic subtext, by the way.

Wow, am I really thought transparent...? O_o In the original draft their relationship was MUCH more explicitly stated (not in THAT way, get your mind outta the gutter), but I decided to tone it down in the actual story. The problem is that I'm unsure what audience I'm aiming at--if it's YA I'd rather Louis and Peter's relationship be more subtext, but if it's for a more adult market I think I could spell it out more clearly. Or maybe all this worrying is moot and by the time I get this published, their relationship will seem as innocuous to readers as any male/female relationship. One can dream. >_>

I love the society you've created. It's sci-fi without being too whacked out, and the characters aren't cheesy, and neither is the context. It's all very matter-of-fact and realistic. Excellent job!

Funnily enough, I never had any problems with the worldbuilding, beyond reconciliating the entire world I've built up (the whole world plays little part in this story, though) in a way that will make it MAKE SENSE. If that makes sense. Ugh, I don't even know what I'm saying. The point is, I am very confident in the whole scifi New World Order aspect of the world, but I'm not very satisfied with the world as a whole. And that makes even less sense.

Since this whole epic will span twenty-six years story-wise, I know I'm going to have to depict technological progress, which is a thought that kind of worries me. O_o Oh well, I'm only focusing on Zenith right now, aren't I?

You had a couple more problems a few paragraphs in with the ever excessive Castle word. Tsk tsk tsk... but you can take care of that yourself.

I know, I know...and I'm still agonizing over that more than anything, believe me. I just don't know...what to DO, exactly, since "Castle" is a brand name, so I can't replace it with a handy synonym...

Other than those huge, major problems that I've obviously been majorly helpful in overhauling your piece to point out - (note the sarcasm) - GOOD JOB AND POST MORE SOON! (I'll be along with a pm ASAP. Don't languish, heh heh.)

I never languish between your PM's; it must be a time zone thing but I'm either asleep or in school when you send them, so it's not like I spend all day in front of the computer anxiously awaiting a PM from you. :D So no need to worry! And believe me, I found your critique VERY helpful, particularly the proofreading bits. The missing period is probably an error from when I went back and edited it; since I wrote this in Word and Word most certainly would've caught such an error (it did not, however, catch an error in my "Curseworker Juan" story...where I wrote "alliance" instead of "allowance". WTF?) As for the "No, really," thing...thanks for pointing it out, as I didn't notice it before. And I honestly have no idea what I was thinking since I wrote this waaaay back in May. Or even April. >_>

Anyways, thanks for the critique! I value it more than anything in the world...well, maybe I value a FEW things more. Like my computer. But otherwise--your guys' critique is the best! :D The rest of cappy one will be up soon, I hope. :)

157 Reviews

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:54 pm
Bickazer says...

And by soon, I mean now. This is awful, double posting, but...>_> Here it goes, part two of chapter one:

-----------------------

“Really, now.” Corseley sounded skeptical, and it wasn’t hard to imagine why—obviously Corseley couldn’t see what was so important about a plain silver ring. To tell the truth, Orson wasn’t certain either, but the circumstances of his finding the ring had definitely been unusual…

“Yep, really,” replied Orson, turning as well to admire the ring, although there really wasn’t much to admire. It just looked like a normal, if slightly worse for wear, old silver ring. “You want to know where I got it? Then, if you’d please, hand me my mentor’s notebook, Peter. All the explanation you need is in there.”

Corseley looked thoroughly mystified, but then sighed and said, “I suppose there’s something important about it, then?”

“I suppose,” echoed Orson. He leaned back in his seat and waved his hand lazily and dismissively, his intent more than clear. Corseley remained where he was for a moment, but then turned and exited the room without a sound. Orson watched Corseley go for a while, although he trusted that Corseley had been to his house enough times to know where to find Orson’s favorite, most secret possession—his mentor’s journal.

Sure enough, Corseley came back after brief pause, now holding in his free hand Orson’s mentor’s notebook—a beaten old-school spiral-bound paper notebook, with a faded green cover and yellowing pages. This was where Louis Orson’s mentor, the First Genius of the New World Order, had recorded his deepest, most secret thoughts…and discoveries. Just another one of the man’s many eccentricities.

“Thanks,” said Orson, as Corseley wordlessly slipped the notebook into Orson’s hands. Corseley handled it with the utmost delicacy, as if it was going to explode in his hands even though no such thing would happen. Then again, Orson understood Corseley’s apprehension—this notebook was probably the only spiral-bound paper notebook Corseley had ever seen before in his life.

“So?” said Corseley, obviously intent on only one subject. Orson gave Corseley a flippant smile, but then obliged and began turning the notebook’s dog-eared pages. Despite its age, his mentor’s blocky, heavy handwriting remained dark and clear on the fading pages, even when all of the lines had long smudged into oblivion. The First Genius might have been old-school but even he used long-lasting printing ink.

"Ah. Here we are,” said Orson, finally stopping at a page dated around thirteen years ago. He spun the seat so that he was facing Orson and then, propping one ankle over one knee and the notebook on his other knee, began to read aloud the entry—for Corseley’s benefit, since he knew that Corseley, like most modern Orderians, was unable to read handwritten writing.

"August the seventeenth. Yesterday I finally felt well enough to pay a visit to the Carson residence. Well, the former Carson residence, seeing as just yesterday, as you well know, the house was demolished in order make room for an upcoming Castle. Argh—the Castle-builders! They cannot even respect the memory of the Carsons, but as they have demolished the Wu house only a few weeks ago, they obviously don't care for the history—for the bravery—of the people here. Unsurprising, since it’s common knowledge that all the Castle-builders care for is maximizing their profits, never mind the individual stories of the former residents of the houses they’re destroying. But I digress, I digress!

"'As I suspected, I found the Zenith-00 unit in the kitchen. I had already been aware of the fact that it had shut down—thank Wu for telling me this; it was one of the last things he did before he died—but nothing could have prepared me. I have created better units, more able, more flexible, than the Zenith one...but the fact is that unit is the one that shall and always has remained dearest to my heart. It was the first unit I have ever created, and I spent a good seven years of my life working on it. I cannot forget it that easily. Only another programmer—you included—would be able to understand the curious hollow emptiness I felt at seeing my creation slumped lifeless in a chair. But I had a job.

"'I performed a brief analysis on the unit, which only confirmed what Wu and Pennington had already told me. It had been nonfunctional for over a year. To be more accurate, the date of shutdown was August the thirteenth a year ago. I'll explain my findings on the causes of the shutdown in a later entry. I was afraid, for a brief moment, that I would be unable to find the ring, for the unit was not wearing the ring on its hand as is customary. I finally found the ring as I heard the demolition trucks arrive—the unit was wearing it hanging from a cord around its neck. Well, the trucks were near, and I should have by all means simply abandoned the unit. But you understand, don't you? Seven years...you don't easily forget.

"'So I did a very foolish thing and that's why I am speaking to you in bed instead of sitting on a chair (not that I would have been well enough in the first place…). I grabbed the unit and attempt to haul it out of there. To bring it with me, if you will. It was a heavy, cumbersome unit—my very first one!—and I was unprepared for its weight. It slowed me down. The falling rubble of the house caught me...I stumbled...I don't know how I would have survived if it weren't for you. You saved me. And I thank you for that. As for where the Zenith-00 unit is now? I locked it in that room, the room where only you have the key to. You may do whatever you wish with it (I should hope you’d run analyses, particularly on the cause of shutdown, though no one is compelling you!). I'll wear the ring.'"

As he finished reading, his voice falling out of the gentle lilting tone of recitation, Orson looked up from the notebook to gauge Corseley’s reaction. Much to his pleasure, Corseley looked thoroughly mystified at what he’d just heard.

“I don’t understand,” said Corseley after some length.

“Do you now?” said Orson, smiling at the politician. He glanced down at the heavy blocky handwriting covering the page…and then at the own smaller, spindly red-inked entry scrawled under it. That one was his own, the one he had added just yesterday when he had found the ring…

“Yes, I don’t understand,” insisted Corseley, blue eyes flashing with a challenge. “Who was your mentor talking to, for one thing? The diary? But that’s—”

“Don’t be silly, Pete,” interrupted Orson. He ignored the foul look that said “Pete” threw at him, and continued. “Look, all these entries in this entire notebook—” he flipped a few pages for emphasis “—are dated within two to three days. That’s what makes me think he wasn’t recording in it daily like a diary or whatever. Personally, judging by the way he wrote them, I think that he was copying down dictate files.”

“Dictate files?” A slight crease appeared between Corseley’s pale brows, and he frowned a little bit. “Ah…you mean, like verbally, to a dictobot—”

“Yeah,” said Orson, interrupting again, “but remember, they didn’t have dictobots back then. It seems he was dictating to a standards-function android. Horribly unspecialized, I know, but that was how everything was in his day…”

“Orson,” cut in Corseley with a little cough. Orson blinked and frowned and looked up at Corseley, and then realized that he had once more embarked on one of his programmer tangents, speaking about a subject that only a fellow programmer would find interesting. And Corseley…well, Corseley wasn’t a programmer.

“Sorry,” he said.

“It’s not a problem,” said Corseley curtly, shaking his head. “All right. So your mentor was dictating to a standards-function android. But he copied down the files on paper…why?”

“Backup, is my guess,” said Orson with a casual shrug. “In case the android—whoever it was, since he doesn’t give a name or unit number or anything—was destroyed or its files wiped or something. You gotta admire his foresight, you know. The android didn’t survive, but the notebook did.”

“Ah…I see. That makes more sense,” said Corseley, rubbing his chin and seemingly pondering something very major. He then turned back to Orson, fixing the programmer with a sharp blue-eyed gaze. “But he didn’t explain the ring’s significance, did he? Nor this—this ‘Zenith-00’ unit. What’s its importance? Why did it shut down?”

“One at a time, Peter,” said Orson, although he really wasn’t impatient. “You see, yesterday I found the ring…oh, it’s just better to read you my entry, I guess. Here goes.”

He rested the notebook back on his knee and began reciting the hurriedly scrawled entry he had written "'Found it! Found the ring. Mentor's ring. Visited his old neighborhood. It was all old abandoned Castles, even his house. Afraid I wouldn't find it but I did! I broke into a Castle [address 1829 S. Berring Road; had a magnolia tree in the yard]. Dug under it. There was a chamber underneath with an old android in there. Very pretty unit I have to say, though not human enough looking I'd say. But it was an old unit. I think it was his first android ever made. It had the ring!!!! I took it. Will study it later [ring and android].'"

Corseley looked confused again, but then again, he was a politician, not the First Genius's pupil. "So that's why you have it...but how did you know it was with that unit, the...Zenith-00 one? And what's so important about this ‘Zenith-00’ anyway?”

"Who knows?" said Orson, grinning casually up at Corseley. Truth be told, the old unit’s design had reminded him somewhat of Corseley, with its pale, almost ghostly, hair and the eyes he saw were that same striking shade of crystal blue when he opened them. Granted, it was probably just a coincidence, as uncanny as it might have seemed. How could his mentor have ever known Corseley, after all? Hell, Corseley probably hadn’t even been alive back when the First Genius had built the Zenith-00 unit, apparently his very first.

This answer obviously didn’t satisfy Corseley, as he folded his arms and fixed Orson with a piercing glare. Orson matched the glare perfectly with a relaxed grin.

“Look,” he said, finally conceding to Corseley’s insistence. “That guy left a lot of mysteries, okay? That ring’s only one of many. I mean, he kept mentioning it in the notebook, so it has to be something important, don’t you agree? I’ve been studying it since…but it just seems like an ugly old silver ring to me. But there’s got to be something more to it if he kept going on about it, don’t you agree?”

“If you say so.” Corseley sounded doubtful. “What did you do with the old unit? And again, how did you know that the Zenith-00 unit had the ring?”

“Oh, just a hunch,” said Orson, grinning down at the ring. Peter was just so full of questions! That was good, though...an inquisitive politician would do much good for the granfallooning Order. Not to mention Orson had many questions of his own, anyway. “As for the unit…I just left it there. I plan on going back to study it, though. Imagine! It’s my mentor’s first ever android! I could—I could learn a ton from it—maybe why it deactivated, ‘cause he never mentioned that in the notebook—”

“He didn’t mention a lot of things, did he?” noted Corseley musingly, looking up at the ceiling and rubbing his chin again. Orson looked back up from the ring to cast Corseley a bemused glance.

---------------------------

Sorry about the inopportune cutting-off point, but this chapter is LONG. Hope the cutting into bits and pieces isn't interrupting the flow too badly...

Critique is appreciated beyond anything. In particular, I'm worried about the diary entries (both Orson's and the First Genius's), and Orson's explanation of why the First Genius's diary is the way it is (if even THAT made sense)...I can see huuuge opportunities for confusion there, so I'd really like feedback on that aspect.

378 Reviews

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:26 am
sokool15 says...

“I don’t understand,” said Corseley after some length.

“Do
you now?” said Orson, smiling at the politician.

Should be: "Don't you now?" because Orson is convirming what Corseley said, so he should use the same phrasing. :)

Back to the old subject of their relationship - really when I was reading the first part (and the second part, for tht matter) it was just a slight subtext, an interesting undercurrent of possibility, very cleverly done and I liked it that way. Some elements of a story are better left to the imagination of the reader.

As to the overall thing, I liked it once again. I would say that a little clarification is needed - I wasn't exactly sure why the First Genius wouldn't have been writing it in the notebook himself, and what the need for the 'droid whose memory then got wiped was, and why his memory got wiped, and and and... *sigh* I need my coffee!!! I'm sure I got that all wrong, but I don't know specifically what you could do to fix it and clarify. Like I said, I need my coffee. :P

Yes, I suppose it is difficult to languish when one is not conscious. *shrugs* To the determined mind, however, it could be done! Perhaps I shall conduct a series of expiriments on love-struck couples who were separated from each other, and make them fall asleep and see if they are capable of languishing. Hmm. :smt108

Well, after that completely useless and weird post - only fifty percent of which was actual critique, I hope you noticed - I shall go and partake of my coffee and thither betake myself to answer your pm. Have a lovely... er... day or night or whatever.

Yours ever,
Kool 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

260 Reviews

Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:55 am

Hooray, more awesome! I’m really enjoying this story, so far, it’s been really excellent—compelling characters, great prose, an interesting plot. Great work.

Really, splendid job with your characterization as always. I’ve seldom met characters I can get attached to this easily. I love Orson’s carefree demeanor and Corseley’s seriousness, (and wow, that was vague. I’m not good at describing character personalities…) and I think they both seem like the kind of characters you could tell a big story like this with. They’re fascinating and deep, and we’ve only just met them. So yeah, I totally admire your mad characterization skillz right now.

Also, the plotline is beginning to emerge, and things are already interesting! You’ve really succeeded in pulling me in. I wanna know more~. Also, despite your claims that you’re not good at world-building, I think the world you’ve created seems really strong so far… developed with all the little things. (Like, for some reason, I found it really interesting that most people wouldn’t know how to read handwritten writing… but when I thought about it, it really made a lot of sense and added to the depth of your world.)

Once again, I thought your pose in this chapter was quite good, just a few small suggestions:

“Really, now.” Corseley sounded skeptical, and it wasn’t hard to imagine why—obviously Corseley couldn’t see what was so important about a plain silver ring. To tell the truth, Orson wasn’t certain either, but the circumstances of his finding the ring had definitely been unusual…

“Yep, really,” replied Orson, turning as well to admire the ring, although there really wasn’t much to admire. It just looked like a normal, if slightly worse for wear, old silver ring. “You want to know where I got it? Then, if you’d please, hand me my mentor’s notebook, Peter. All the explanation you need is in there.”

I think you use the word “ring” a little too much in these two paragraphs… You could always just say “it,” I don’t think that would confuse the reader. Actually, in general, I think you could use pronouns more often in this chapter, all the repetition of “Corseley” and “Orson” is a little bit jarring.

Corseley handled it with the utmost delicacy, as if it was going to explode in his hands even though no such thing would happen.

I think you might want to put in a comma after “hands.”

I didn’t think the diary entries were too confusing, really, though it was kind of unclear who was being referred to as “you.” But it seems like you meant to leave that ambiguous, so it’s all fine with me.

Gah... bland and generic review is bland and generic, sorry. XD Anyway, I’m enjoying this story, big time. Looking forward to more… XD

157 Reviews

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:32 pm
Bickazer says...

Here's the rest of Chapter One--

“Yeah? Like what?” he said.

“Like…like the ring’s importance. Or, as you just said, the Zenith unit’s deactivation…” said Corseley, frowning at Orson. “You were his student for seven years, weren’t you?”

“Yeah,” said Orson, realizing what Corseley was getting at, and understanding Corseley’s point quite acutely. It was something that had bothered him, too, bothered him ever since he had come into possession of his mentor’s notebook two years ago, after the First Genius’s death. Within those pages Orson had gleaned a wealth of information his mentor had never told him, not once, when he had been alive and Orson had been his faithful student. And it pained Orson—made him wonder why his mentor felt that he didn’t deserve to know all these things. Didn’t even the First Genius need the help of his student? Wasn’t that the reason he had a student, to help him? Because Orson knew that if his mentor was still alive and had told him about everything—the ring, Zenith—Orson would gladly throw himself fully into helping his mentor solve those mysteries.

“Then why didn’t he tell you any of it?” said Corseley, and Orson thought that he could detect—or perhaps just imagined—a faint accusing note to the blonde politician’s soft voice. Nonetheless, hearing that from Corseley did not make Orson feel any better. He shook his head helplessly.

“I don’t…I don’t know. He just…there were a lot of things he didn’t say. He never said. I guess…maybe. I don’t know. I really don’t.” Orson looked away from Corseley, and cast an automatic glance at the large monitor opposite him. The familiar lines of code had vanished, to be replaced by the screensaver that had appeared after Orson hadn’t touched the keyboard for quite a while. The screensaver had been his mentor’s favorite—a white background, with a series of black question marks slowly fading to gray and then to black again…

There was certainly no better way to describe Orson’s mood at the moment.

“Do you now,” said Corseley, his voice quiet. He, too, had noticed the screensaver and was watching it intently. Orson looked at Corseley to try to see the politician’s expression, but the blonde’s crystal blue eyes were unreadable behind his spectacles.

“Well, yeah,” said Orson. And just because he was tired of Corseley’s interest in his screensaver, he reached out and tapped a few of the keys, abruptly dropping the monitor out of the screensaver and back into its usual dark-screened state covered with lines of glowing code. Corseley shook his head and blinked as if falling out of a trance, and turned back to Orson, looking vaguely frazzled.

Now that he was certain he had Corseley’s attention, Orson continued. “Well, yeah,” he said again. “But I think I do have a theory...not on this whole Zenith and ring business, mind you, ‘cause I’m about as clueless as you when it comes to it…but on why he never told me. Maybe it’s because he was the First Genius, you know?”

“Mm.” Corseley gave a noncommittal jerk of his head. “And?”

“Because he was the First Genius,” explained Orson. “You know? Everyone expected him to be so smart and do everything on his own and figure everything out just like one two three, you know? But what if he couldn’t. What if he couldn’t live up to all the hype? I bet…inside, even if he always seemed so confident, at least to me…I bet that inside he was afraid of failing. And ‘cause he wasn’t able to figure out the ring and so on, he never told anyone about it. Not even…” He paused. “Not even his own student.”

“My, you seem to be quite in tune with the First Genius’ psychology,” noted Corseley dryly. Orson glared at him.

“Oh, be quiet, Peter,” he snapped. “It’s just a guess is all. I could be completely wrong. Maybe he never told anyone ‘cause he was lazy, not ‘cause he was afraid. Look, I don’t know. I just know that’s how I’d feel, that’s all.”

“And that’s a good indicator of how your mentor would feel?” said Corseley, a definite skepticism in his voice now.

“Hey, I didn’t say it was, did I?” Orson insisted. “It’s just guessing. Hell, I don’t even know why I’m doing this. I’m a programmer, damn it. Not a psychologist. And I don’t claim to know him…I don’t even know his granfallooning name, now that I think about it!”

“Watch your language, Orson,” said Corseley automatically, although such comments had by now become trite and meaningless. No one—certainly not Assemblyman Peter Corseley—was ever going to get Orson to clean up his foul mouth.

“Yeah, yeah, I mean it, though,” said Orson. “I don’t know his name. You don’t know his name. Hell, no one knows his name! He’s just ‘First Genius’ to the world and ‘mentor’ to me. Isn’t it strange?”

“I suppose…perhaps he had a reason to keep it a secret?’ Corseley frowned, a contemplative light shining in his crystal blue eyes. “Oh, well…I suppose it doesn’t matter. Anyway, I’d best take my leave…”

“What? So soon?” said Orson, jerking from his seat to face Corseley. Corseley sighed and adjusted his spectacles.

“Yes, sorry, but I’m needed in the capital for…business,” explained Corseley. “I didn’t expect to take so long to get here—”

“Your fault, for picking up Events of all things,” cut in Orson with a derisive and very unsympathetic snort. Corseley shot him a dirty look.

“Oh, be quiet. I’m very glad I did, actually,” he said. “It might just persuade you to keep your mouth shut on the Order from now on. Just a suggestion…”

“Granfalloon that suggestion,” muttered Orson darkly, slinking into his seat. “Look, aren’t you glad you came here? I told you about all that first. The ring, and the Zenith-00 unit. Feel grateful.”

“Oh, I am, trust me,” said Corseley, turning to leave. He paused at the doorway, and cast Orson an inscrutable look. “But again…don’t forget what I came here for. If you know what’s good for you, then you’ll can your criticism of the Order…Louis.”

He then left, without a backwards look or another farewell, entirely ignoring the cleanbots that swept in his path. Orson watched Corseley’s retreating back for a long, long time, before turning back to his monitor, which had returned to its question-mark screensaver.

“Always have to have the last word, eh, Pete?” he grumbled.

--------

There are a lot of things that need improvement, but I have to mention that I LOVE the last line. I swear even if I change everything else I'm keeping the last line as it is. It's just so perfectly emblembatic of Louis and Peter's relationship. :D

So, critique away. Chapter two will be up soon, but I foresee in two separate topics as it is--get ready--twenty-five pages long. Yes, I'm shocked myself; I haven't written anything that long since sixth grade. Actually, that might be an average chapter length from me for now on, so...you have been warned. >_>

378 Reviews

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:54 pm
sokool15 says...

Well - the one major thing I noticed in this chapter (besides its awesomeness) was that Orson's speaking style seems to have veered towards colloquial. He was always very honest and open, with the same bad language before, but very well-put-together sentences and stuff. Now he's saying stuff like 'cause instead of because, etc etc. Just something to look into - it sounds a little more childish to me than it did in the previous parts of the chapter.

Speaking of parts of chapters... I would say that it would be better to post different parts in separate posts - to avoid, like you said,the whole double posting issue. It's also easier if you don't have to keep all the different posts straight, and try to decide which ones are critiques and which ones are new chapter parts, etc. (I say etc a lot, don't I?*sigh*)

You know? Everyone expected him to be so smart and do everything on his own and figure everything out just like one two three, you know? But what if he couldn’t.

Did you repeat "you know?" on purpose? If not, take one out. Also, the last sentence should be a question: "But what if he couldn't?"

So... besides those things, a great chapter! Didn't see any typos or anything, so... on to chapter 2? Finally? :P

Yours ever,
Kool 8)
~Albert Einstein

157 Reviews

Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:49 pm
Bickazer says...

sokool15 wrote:Well - the one major thing I noticed in this chapter (besides its awesomeness) was that Orson's speaking style seems to have veered towards colloquial. He was always very honest and open, with the same bad language before, but very well-put-together sentences and stuff. Now he's saying stuff like 'cause instead of because, etc etc. Just something to look into - it sounds a little more childish to me than it did in the previous parts of the chapter.

Oh man...I didn't even notice that! Which is odd because I actually wrote the whole damn thing in one sitting. It WAS getting rather late at night when I was finishing it, though...so maybe I started paying less attention. O_o Yeah, I'll go back and make him sound more intelligent. Orson's voice is fun to write but also kind of difficult, because he veers between crude/crass and surprisingly eloquent, which is displayed at its finest in the speech he gives next chapter. :)

Speaking of parts of chapters... I would say that it would be better to post different parts in separate posts - to avoid, like you said,the whole double posting issue. It's also easier if you don't have to keep all the different posts straight, and try to decide which ones are critiques and which ones are new chapter parts, etc. (I say etc a lot, don't I?*sigh*)

Yeah...but then I'm afraid I'll have too many topics and it will be cluttered. O_o I'm already dangerously disorganized as it is...and this current method is actually working quite well for me. I WILL most definitely post chapter two in two separate topics, mostly because of its sheer length...it's 25 pages! Ack!

Did you repeat "you know?" on purpose?

Hmm, I can't remember if I did or didn't. XD I think I didn't, though, so I'll emend that.

Also, the last sentence should be a question: "But what if he couldn't?"

Actually...I unintentionally, through writing Orson, gave him a quirk where he phrases questions as sentences. That is, it's a question but he inflects it like a sentence. If that makes any sense. >_> It's a quirk that somehow rose up in my writing without my intention, as he does it several times in the second chapter and maybe the third too. I like giving characters unique speech patterns, as through observing people I've noticed all of us speak just a little differently from each other...so the whole questions-as-sentences thing is a unique verbal quirk of Orson's. If it's too jarring though, I'll excise it.

... on to chapter 2?

In time, in time. I'd like to wait for more critiques on chapter one, though. And I'm determined to finish chapter three before I post chapter two (we'll see how THAT works, though...)

Thanks, as always, for the critique! I'm so glad you people are looking at my writing and seeing things I never have before (my excessive adverb abuse...actually, I knew about that for a very long time; Orson's sudden shift in speech, etc.), and best of all I'm glad you're encouraging me to continue...because previously I thought in all honesty this story was a wreck that couldn't be saved until I was more experienced. Now I'm encouraged to keep writing, but I'm sure the final versions will be VERY different from what is here.

378 Reviews

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:24 pm
sokool15 says...

Actually...I unintentionally, through writing Orson, gave him a quirk where he phrases questions as sentences. That is, it's a question but he inflects it like a sentence.

I understand - very clever! I support your awesomness. I've done stuff like that, too, but sometimes other people just don't hear it the same way you did. I'd say keep it in, though. It wasn't jarring at all, I was just being nitpicky. :P
~Albert Einstein

260 Reviews

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Late review is laaaaate....

[broken record] Wow, what an awesome chapter! I really like how the prologue is getting tied into this, your plotline is definitely interesting so far. And I'm totally fangirling your characters right now, I hope you don't mind me saying. They're interesting and very likable. [/broken record]

I didn't notice any shift in dialogue, (though maybe I'm just not very observant), I thought it was pretty much perfect the whole way through.

Wow, I'm really unhelpful, aren't I? I'm so sorry, the main reason it took me so long to review this chapter is that... I just can't find anything to criticize.

The only suggestion I have is that this:
“Do you now,” said Corseley, his voice quiet.

Should probably be "'Don't you now,'"

Aaaand... that's it. I feel kind of bad that I can't think of anything intelligent to say. XD Sorry...

157 Reviews

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:54 pm
Bickazer says...

Whaat? I'm sure there's more to tear apart than that. >_>

Well...this first chapter is actually my favorite one so far. The other ones I've written so far (the second and third) have certain scenes I love, but also parts I'm less than satisfied about. :( In particular...I got incredibly depressed over my tendency for repeating myself and stuffing my sentences with useless words halfway through chapter three, so I fizzled out. >_> I can't do this...I have to...perservere...

Though the prospect of NaNoWriMo is providing me some impetus...but I don't think it's fair to enter something I've been working on since April. *groan* Does that mean I have to write another novel? Well, it'd be a good opportunity to get cracking on City of the Veen...*mumble mumble*

We~ell, thanks for the review. I appreciate all commentary. :) (though I'm still certain there must be SOMETHING not to like about this chapter...whatever it is, it isn't the final line). I'm really glad you like the characters, because character development is one of my stronger suits as a writer. And besides, I love Louis and Peter to pieces. I'm quite surprised at how the story overall has become Louis's story, because in the original plot it was more like things were happening to him, than him driving the story (not good). Now, somehow the story's begun to center around Louis's pride and hubris, and his character development to a more empathetic, humble person. While never losing what makes him great. :) Must--keep--writing!

So yeah. Basically...that's it. Uh...check out chapter two, now? :D

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality