z

Young Writers Society

Vetren'iy, 1.1 - Rare Word, Refuge

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:14 am
Poor Imp says...

Vetren'iy [working title]

#1.1 Prelude (and) Rare Word, Refuge (cont'd)

Note: Ragged still, on edges, I'm afraid...Scrap-sort of first chapter/prelude to Vetren'iy...'Tis the atmosphere and questions that needed setting out here. [Posted on a livejournal for a brief while--cleaned up slightly from then.]

The voice, interjected--impressions?

..::..::..::..

‘Don’t shoot men in a church. Rotten that…get you twisted out-of-shape, y’know? when you get other side or whatever. Not ‘as I know, what? Just got that theology rubbish still sticking ‘tween my ears. You get used to it; can ramble. But lucky over here in not having it - tell you, Denver off in Oxford still thinks he’s got -’ the voice lowered, fretful - ‘ still thinks he’s got something’ like history over there. Don’t ask why, man; off my blinking head if’s I know.’

The man stumbled in the church’s chiaroscuro nave, cobbled aisle uneven, pews like crouched figures tightening as they rowed upwards into the sanctuary. He wavered. Something in the air, in the gilt glimmered light cast of candle luminance, dying, in the red flicker behind the altar, beneath the shadowed silhouette of a cross - something caught his thoughts and stumbled him. His boots sounded painfully heavy, tripping on turned-up stone.

‘Don’t shoot men in church - dunno as if it’s ill luck or, y’know, like the superstitions you get down low. Makes you think, what?’

He shook his head, swallowing over a dry throat. Surely those weren’t footfalls in the lane outside? Surely those weren’t voices? Straining against the still, he listened, listened to nothing but his own breath and heartbeat, heavy in his chest.

‘Don’t shoot men in a church.’

Somewhere, in the dregs of his thought he felt memory: crouched like the lithe-figured saints, perched in their alcoves, watching through blind-carved eyes. Memories, he knew he hadn’t known. Of the thick dust and faint breath of incense; of stone and arches; and of the still, proceeding order that lay in symmetry and held in lines drawing upwards. He looked.

‘Don’t shoot men in church. Bally mad -gets you damned, don’t you know? Safe-haven, what? …or that’s the bit Denver’s got in his head; bloody off-his-head sort, for a baron. One doesn’t get that sort this side -’ the voice stumbled, rather apologetic, ‘I hate to say, old boy, but’s got to be the Atlantic divide…all rubbish, they keep saying, this idea of things not being ‘s they are and…’

Christ’s figure hung hollowed in shadow, for there were no lights to illuminate but the brush of dusk’s grey fingers, creeping through cracked glass and stained glass. The dying Man might have seen him. His eyes were beneath the crown, and the thorns angularity broke the edges of his face, broke the light that filtered over his brow; broke the line of his lowered gaze.

‘Please,’ he said, meaningless and hoarse.

There were sounds in the lane, the halting furtive scratch of a heavy step; murmurs that slid between sharp English and sibilant Russian.

With a frantic will, the man started forward. His hands trailed pew-backs, as if to steady him - but his fingers, limp and quivering knocked willy-nilly into dark wood.

‘Don’t shoot men in a church, what? …well, y’know, not a half-bad sort o’ thing to pop-off; good sort of wheeze for whims…catch my meaning. Not much use against these real fellows; full of bally old enlightened thought, don’t you know? Shoot a man up on any stone, dessay; might ‘s well be the firing squad; all games. Good game, this anarchy, what? Makes like tide-wide run at hide-n-seek or something like it…play tag all day ‘til you drop…’

The aisle widened as the nave drew into the sanctuary, pews shortened, cut-off or haphazard, twisted sidelong. The last lay with its feet up, leaning on the lowest altar step; the man noted distantly, initials carved and obscenity, scrawled into wood-finish like a grotesque mockery of the Ten - for they the scratchings were numbered.

He fell on the step, hard, both palms striking splintered wood. Tattered, the rug from altar base to floor unravelled at his fingertips - gold tendrils binding le fleur d’lis, in patched brilliance. Ought he to have gone to Teller? Should he have dashed off for the coast, like…a man he couldn’t recall ever having named.

He was a tattered figure, tattered as the rug in the dusk-grey and gilt shade of the sanctuary, shoulders crumpled beneath stained jacket, eyes hollowed and circled in sleepless dark. With resigned dullness, he raised his head.

‘If you’re God,’ he said, ‘Why don’t you come down? I’m here. I’m here. I’m here.’

Behind, the rotting wood of the double doors groaned on stone flagging.

‘If you’re God…’

A gun-shot cracked the clinging still.

If the man had meant to finish with an act of faith or blasphemy, no silence would ever hear. He swayed upon his knees; one hand dropped back to the the worn rug, fingers twining the fleur d’lis.

Their heavy steps like gun-shot echoes, two men strode into the aisle slowly, the street’s stale chill and grey drifting in behind them from doors left ajar. On the altar stairs, the man lay bleeding; and the carpet was dyed again vivid, dark and crimson.

‘Dead,’ muttered the first, nudging the limp shoulder with a boot toe. ‘Durak - what does he do, running to Sankt Anton?’

‘Thought he’d be better off looking for what’s-it, Teller’s the name. But, y’know, he ran after three nights down there and Andreyev does more than just talk when it comes down to that.’

The first sighed. ‘Zhalka,’ a pity, ‘He missed the games for last night.’

‘Yeah. Damned idiot.’ Thoughtless, the second rubbed at his hands…as if to scrape off shadow, or blood. ‘Easy,’ he said, ‘To shoot a man in a church.’
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:28 am
View Likes
ChernobyllyInclined says...

That Nietszche quote...makes more sense when I read it. Never really got it too well when you read it, you know?

I like how the advertisements at the bottom of the story are for 'New Church Pews'. Say it like a Brit, adVERTISEments. That doesn't look exactly right, but you can hear it.

I am curiously ENLIGHTENED by Tov's precarious beginning. Much too good for a beginning...beginnings must be drier, they must tease the reader into going further. If they make it too compelling at the beginning, TOO compelling, then the reader doesn't have to make any effort to continue. Effort is important. But that is just my random comment at the moment, I doubt that its even remotely true. Just a thought.

I say the blatant obscurity is less pronounced in this one. Although I think my criticism of Piers was mostly caused by the fact that there were no italics and so I couldn't separate his dreams from reality. Of course you don't know why they killed this nasty old man but that is forced to be purposeful. I greatly appreciated the part when he asks Jesus to come down. I am ashamed to say I have never thought of using that fantastic story in another story. It also works incredibly well in this context...Russia having fallen farther then we pretended we could not imagine.

I have no criticism, since I am not competent enough to criticize as we all know. But I would prefer the old man to be slightly less old. You know how I am about old, disfigured, unattractive people. He could be just as incoherent, just possibly not quite as broken. But that is probably completely wrong and just happens to be my ridiculous preference.

I quite liked it. As you should expect.
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:43 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hey, you.

:D

THE ART OF BLOCKING

In this, I don't quite know where anything is psychically, especially where the lane is relative to where the church and the man (MC) is. It makes for a lot of confusion with the action.

THAT CIRCLE THANG

I love the circular dialogue in this, makes for a nice cyclical feel and definite ending, but leaves the reader with enough to bite for more.

Ta,
Cal.
Last edited by Caligula's Launderette on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:56 pm
Poor Imp says...

'Lo CL--I can't believe I haven't thanked you for this yet. ^_^ Anyhow, thanks very much... And perhaps I'll have another few installments by Christmas Break. Oy, I would much prefer writing Vetren'iy to source analyses and Italian translations. ^_^;

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Poor Imp wrote:Oy, I would much prefer writing Vetren'iy to source analyses and Italian translations. ^_^;

Well, that's a given. And, more Vetren'iy would be awesome. *sends out good writerly thoughts*

Oh, and I fixed the link for the second page, not sure why it was like that, but now 'tis fixed.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:05 pm
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

Not really much to say after CL's post...she covered all the grammatical errors, which there were quite a lot of.

I liked the way you phrased certain things, but as CL already pointed out, some of them are odd and confusing.

An example of good: "Their heavy steps like gun-shot echoes, two men strode into the aisle slowly, the street’s stale chill and grey drifting in behind them from doors left ajar."

*rolls r* Brrrilliant!

Not so good: "The last lay with its feet up, leaning on the lowest altar step; the man noted distantly, initials carved and obscenity, scrawled into wood-finish like a grotesque mockery of the Ten - for they the scratchings were numbered."

Uhhh...read this three times, still not sure what you're saying.

Overall, pretty good. Looking forward to more. You have a better-than-average control over the language, and if you're creative enough to come up with a decent plot, anything you write will be good.

Edit: Erm, I hope that didn't sound cold. It was meant as a compliment. :lol:
Am I a one eyed hunter of unicorns or a hunter of one eyed unicorns? The world may never know.

If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip.
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi