z

Young Writers Society

"Lucky Me" Prologue

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:50 pm
Firestar says...

Prologue

You may have heard the story of Pandora’s Box, how Pandora was told not to open a certain object. (I have heard many different accounts on what exactly the object was, for instance some say it was a jar, but I believe it actually was a solid block of wood with a chamber inside.) But letting her curiosity get the better of her, she opened it and released all the horrible things that were inside. Such as sickness, hate, greed, bad luck and many more evils out into the world, leaving only a gem named Hope at the bottom of the Box.

But you probably didn't hear about the prophecy, how one day the gem would be opened to counteract the evil that was released. So Pandora dedicated her whole life looking for “the gem promise”. She didn't find it in her lifetime though, so when she died she left that legacy to her daughter, who then passed it on to her daughter, and it continued through the family line for many generations. Until one day, the sixteenth generation found the key and opened “Hope”. And up from it sprung medical remedies along with self control, morals and good luck, to counterbalance the evil that Pandora had released years before.

But while everything balanced out for the most part, good luck and bad luck tilted back and forth, like a scale that had gone crazy, making everyone’s lives miserable. After enduring this torture for many moons, the few clans of the young world decided that there should be a gathering so that they might attract both kinds of luck with the amount of people there. It worked. Good luck and bad luck came down on the gathering like ghosts. And offering a prayer and a sacrifice to the gods, they stored luck into a boy’s body in hope that they could keep Luck controlled. But it was not meant to be. The boy whom they watched so carefully escaped and to everybodys delight, was never heard of again.
Last edited by Firestar on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:20 am
Prokaryote says...

Hey Firestar. :)

Deleted words indicated by strike-outs; added/modified parts in bold; my commentary in red.

Prologue

You may have heard the story of Pandora’s Box, of how Pandora was told not to open a certain object. (I have heard many different accounts on what exactly the object was; for instance, some say it was a jar, but I believe it actually was a solid block of wood with a chamber inside.) But, letting her curiosity get the better of her she opened it and released all the horrible things that were inside, like sickness, hate, greed, bad luck and many more evils out into the world, leaving a gem named Hope at the bottom of the Box.

But [Too many "but"s.] you probably didn’t hear about the prophecy, how one day the gem would be opened to counteract the evil that was released. So Pandora dedicated her whole life looking for “the gem promise.” But [Ack!] she didn’t find it in her lifetime, so when she died she left that legacy to her daughter, and when she died she left it to her daughter. This continued for many generations, but finally the sixteenth generation succeeded: “Hope” (the gem) was finally opened. And up from it sprung medical remedies along with self control, morals and good luck, to counterbalance the evil that Pandora had released years before.

But while everything balanced out for the most part, good luck and bad luck tilted back and forth, like a scale that had gone crazy, making everyone’s lives miserable. After enduring this torture for many moons [s](that was the way they measured time back then)[/s] the few clans of the young world decided that there should be a gathering so that they might attract both kinds of Luck with the amount of people there. It worked. Good Luck and Bad Luck came down on the gathering like ghosts. And using “Hope” with a prayer and a sacrifice, they stored Luck into a boy’s body in hope [Is using "hope" in this sentence really a good idea?] that they could keep Luck controlled. But it was not meant to be. The boy whom they watched so carefully escaped and they never heard of him again.

Hope that helped a little!

Prokaryote

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:48 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

G'evening!

Since Pork's already picked at your grammar, I'm here to blah about plot elements and whatnot.

1: Pandora is one of my favorite legends ever. You get points for awesomeness. :P
This may or may not be your interpretation of the myth, but I think that Hope was originally a little butterfly thing? A dove? Did you change it intentionally to a jewel, or what?

2. Errrrrr...about "Hope": I am very confused. You say that "Hope" is a precious gem, but then you make it sound like a box. A little clarity, perhaps? Hope was left in the chest, after Pandora slammed the lid shut -- why would she have to look for it? In cases such as this, you've really got to let us [s]Greek mythology freaks[/s] know.

3. OK. You've got a character with some freaking awesome possibilities... And you leave us hanging like that. Darn you.

Slug a PM my way when you update! I'm looking forward to this.

~Sumi
ohmeohmy

35 Reviews

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:19 am
Firestar says...

Sumi H. Inkblot wrote:G'evening!

Since Pork's already picked at your grammar, I'm here to blah about plot elements and whatnot.

1: Pandora is one of my favorite legends ever. You get points for awesomeness. :P
This may or may not be your interpretation of the myth, but I think that Hope was originally a little butterfly thing? A dove? Did you change it intentionally to a jewel, or what?

2. Errrrrr...about "Hope": I am very confused. You say that "Hope" is a precious gem, but then you make it sound like a box. A little clarity, perhaps? Hope was left in the chest, after Pandora slammed the lid shut -- why would she have to look for it? In cases such as this, you've really got to let us [s]Greek mythology freaks[/s] know.

3. OK. You've got a character with some freaking awesome possibilities... And you leave us hanging like that. Darn you.

Slug a PM my way when you update! I'm looking forward to this.

~Sumi

In reply to 1: I used a jem because that was the representation of hope in the story that I found.

In reply to 2: Pandora was looking for the key to open up hope (the gem). How the gem was opened is relivent to the end of my story.

In reply to 3: Thank you very much.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

35 Reviews

Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:21 am
Firestar says...

Thanks for the advice Prokaryote!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:12 am
Lucky_Author says...

That was really good. I'm guessing your main character will be the Luck boy. You have so many possibilities with him so use it wisely. I liked the prologue very much. It really lures the reader into the story, especially at the end. I can't wait till you post Chapter 1!

Keep on writing!

**L_A
God made us cousins because he knew our
parents couldn't handle us as sisters.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:55 am
TheD2 says...

Interesting, I am familiar with Pandora's box, I even started a rendition of the story. (vary graphic in my account though) I would like to see how this story turns out. keep on it. :D
Without Wax,4114

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:30 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

The grammar errors have already been caught, those pesky little devils... So I will continue with other story critiques.

This was essentially a big info-dump in all honesty. You tell us what happened, but we don't get to watch them happen. I want to see the gathering myself and the Lucks settling down. I want to see Hope go into the boy. It would be so much more powerful if you wrote this as it was happening.

But I am very curious. I want to see what is going to happen. I want to know how the boy escaped...

Nice job on revamping an old myth... Great stuff...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

35 Reviews

Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:44 pm
Firestar says...

The main reason I wrote it that way is because it's the prologue. But if you think it can be better "living it", I'll try writing it that way.

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:44 am
Teh Wozzinator says...

Sorry I'm late... my edits in bold.

Firestar wrote:Prologue

You may have heard the story of Pandora’s Box, how Pandora was told not to open a certain object. (I have heard many different accounts on what exactly the object was, for instance some say it was a jar, but I believe it actually was a solid block of wood with a chamber inside.) But, No comma needed here. letting her curiosity get the better of her Put the comma after "her" instead. she opened it and released all the horrible things that were inside, I would end this sentence here, and start the next with "Such things like sickness...". like sickness, hate, greed, Bad Luck Why do you capitalize this?? and many more evils out into the world, leaving only a gem named Hope at the bottom of the Box. I think that here, you need a lot more info on the story of Pandora's box.

But A lot of "but"s here... you probably didn’t hear about the prophecy, how one day the gem would be opened to counteract the evil that was released. So Pandora dedicated her whole life looking for “the gem promise”. Hmm. I'm confused. Didn't she already have the box with the gem in it?? What is the gem promise??? But Way too many "but"s!! she didn’t find it in her lifetime, so when she died she left that legacy to her daughter, and when she died she left it to her daughter. Get rid of the second "and when she died she left it to her daughter." I would change this whole sentence to "She didn't find it in her lifetime, so when she died she left that legacy to her daughter, who then passed it on to her daughter, and it continued through the family line for many generations." This continued for many generations, If you do what I said before, change this opening to "It took many years,..." but finally the sixteenth generation succeeded,Change this comma into a period. “Hope” (the gem) We know that it's the gem, get rid of the parentheses. was finally opened. And up from it sprung medical remedies along with self-control, morals and good luck, You capitalized "bad luck", so why don't you caps "good luck"?? to counterbalance the evil that Pandora had released years before. Overall, this was a very good paragraph.

But while everything balanced out for the most part, good luck and bad luck Here you caps neither, so I would just not cap the first "bad luck". tilted back and forth, like a scale that had gone crazy, making everyone’s lives miserable. Great sentence!! After enduring this torture for many moons (that was the way they measured time back then) Get rid of the parentheses again, it messes up the rhythm (yes, even stories are supposed to have rhythm) and most people who read a lot will know what many moons means. the few clans of the young world decided that there should be a gathering so that they might attract both kinds of Luck Here you capitalize it again... make up your mind! with the amount of people there. It worked. Good Luck and Bad Luck AAAAAAH!!! came down on the gathering like ghosts. And using “Hope” Ditch the quotation marks. with a prayer and a sacrifice, they stored Luck into a boy’s body in hope that they could keep Luck controlled. But it was not meant to be. The boy whom they watched so carefully escaped and they never heard of him again. I didn't really like this last sentence much...

Overall, I think that it's a good idea (I was the first to know about it... yay!!), but you really need to work on explanations. Also, I would try to tell the Pandora story better...

Very good job... especially since you're a new writer!!

I hope that this story takes you somewhere, because except for the homeostasis thing, it's a good, original idea. 8/10 rating!

I had a lot of edits, but they were mostly grammar things, not content problems. Just you description of the story.

Good luck writing!!

Teh Wozzinator

Oh, and remember to edit this so that it says "Prologue" in the title.
Go K-State for North Division!!

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna