z

Young Writers Society

The Apocalypse-Prologue

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:37 am
Lethero says...

*I made this my NaNo story. But I ain't reall aiming for the 50k.

The year is 2013, one year after the Nuclear War in 2012. 2012, the year the Aztecs predicted the world would end, seems they were good at what they do. Anyways the Nuclear War started with North Korea when they fired upon America in 2010, then America fired back and by 2012 the who world was in chaos and when the dust settled and the sun finally came out on January 11, 2013 less than a million people were left alive on earth.
Then days after that the weather changed for the worse, seems the radiation damaged the atmosphere and Earth is heating up fast. The few places safe to live now is above the Arctic Circle and Antarctica Animals die off because their climate is changing too fast for them to adapt. But the humans are worse off; whoever didn’t die of the radiation are now dying from starvation or they kill each other. People kill each other over food or tempers flair and they can’t control themselves. This isn’t the worst of it though. When people die, they don’t stay dead for long.
My name is Frederic Basalis, and I am a survivor from Ohio. I lived long from luck only, determination, and the constant rush of adrenaline. Adrenaline, it’s a nice thing to have right now, it saved my life many times over in this horror I’m living daily.
I write this journal so people will know who I am and what I had to do to live. If you are reading this then something has happened to me. I just hope when you read this that Earth is in a better shape than I have lived in it. Please read my story and know of my struggle to live.
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:41 am
Lindsaroo says...

Hey Ash.

I really like the style you're going with on this. *And no werewolves for once! I'm impressed!* I love reading journal type things because then you really feel like you get all that the character is thinking and you get the feeling it's a real person, and you're reading their real words.

I think you need to work on telling a bit more. It was understandable, but some parts were hard to get the whole on what was happening. It seems a bit rushed, so maybe you can draw it out and make it a bit easier to read. I had a difficult time getting myself to read it. It's the prologue so I understand it's hard to make interesting, and I'm sure the story will be great.

Good luck, and tell me when you post more up, I'll read it.

Love,
Lindsay
"After it happened I thought that I'd just try to live as normally as possible and bury it, but things like that don't stay buried. I didn't think it would, but it taints your whole life."

"My desires were bestial, obviously." -Jeffery Dahmer.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:03 am
OutOfInk says...

What can I say? I liked it a lot! I've been wanting to write about the end of the world for some time now but I've been at a lost for words for months. And a liked the fact that it was a journal narrative. The only thing is that it seems like your heading in a Resident Evil direction.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:09 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Ugh.

This is an info-dump and it isn't in a journal format. A journal format is simple: it describes what events occur on a daily basis. So, the timing of the journal story is so much more important.

Consider the amount of information your main character has. Would he know what is going on in other parts of the world? Or the amount of survivors? What about the events leading up to it?

This doesn't make much sense.

Here is what I think. If you are committed to writing a journal style story, I highly recommend the book "Absolutely Normal Chaos" by Sharon Creech. It is the best journal (or in that case, diary) style I've read. Otherwise, you should change the format to something you are more comfortable with.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna lay down and become a tomato for a while.
— RokitaVivi