z

Young Writers Society

Slip, Part 1 EDIT

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:06 pm
View Likes
adi says...

This is an edit. I added a bit, subtracted a bit, all thanks to your suggestions :]. I want to make it clear that the fantasy/sci-fi aspect will become clear later. It isn't immediately obvious, because the characters that bring that in haven't been introduced yet. But it will all become clear soon.

This is the beginning of a story I've been writing for the past two years. This is the third draft. I wanted to see what people who hadn't read the other drafts thought of this.... So... Here goes?

It's set in a dystpian future (Think 1984), and contains a lot of experiment victims, drama, evilness, rebellion, and mischief.

There are things you plan out purposefully, things that stay at the front of your brain, that you spend hours, days, years, even toiling over. There are also things that you plan accidentally, that linger on the very edge of your brain, that taunt you with vague familiarity. When you do those things, those accidentally planned things, the only thing on your mind is:
It was only a matter of time.
You don’t know how you know that it was only a matter of time. You never realized that you thought that at all. But somehow, you know it.
If what you accidentally plan demands an explanation, you would usually say, “It was impulse” or “I didn’t mean it” or “It was an accident”, but you know that it wasn’t. And you’re usually not the only one. You can tell by the faces of the people around you. They stare at you, maybe with a raised eyebrow, or with looks of utter abhor and shock. Part of you wants to retreat inside of yourself, and the other part wants to step up and do it again. The adrenalin fuels you, not your brain; not logic.
Especially when it’s something that you’re not supposed to do. Like slapping a relative, for example. Maybe even yelling wordlessly in the very middle of an important lecture that the other people in the room have been waiting to hear for years. Or telling the world something that you’re not supposed to know, but do anyway; something that would make people angry, or confused, or sad. All of those things, they’re just not done.
I know all of this. I’ve been taught that words can start rebellions and incite bad ideas in the minds of the world. Teacher has been implanting this information in ours brains ever since we went to him to learn. It was his favorite point to make.
Yet a seed, a dangerous, deadly seed nestled itself in the very back of my brain and prodded and poked me every single time those warnings were issued, and when I was on my own, it would grow, and snake, and twist itself into the cracks of my head, into the vulnerable parts, and reside there. It dug and slithered and whispered its name. Its horrible, terrible, dangerous, deadly name.
Part of me listened, the stupid, irrational, dangerous, impulsive part.
Rebel, that seed whispered.
Which is why I’m here, standing in the middle of a crowd of sitting, in a time where I should be cross-legged on the floor, my hands laid delicately in my lap, my eyes riveted on the stage.
Everyone is staring, and I’m rebelling.
I don’t even know why. I’ve spent my life doing what I was told. I’m not an Enemy. I’m just Claire. I’m good. I’m smart and I get good grades and I always sit and I always keep my mouth shut and I always make my bed.
Yet here I am.
Maybe I’m tired of all of the wars. Maybe it’s the speakers on the sides of the street that broadcast news daily. Maybe I’m sick of learning about Uncle, and reading boring books. Maybe I just want to live in a house with a mom and a dad, instead of in a concrete Dorm with a bunch of girls my age. Maybe it’s because I want to talk to someone about the weather and sit at a bench in the parks that we’re not allowed to enter and sip at a drink. Maybe I’m rebelling for all of these things, plus many more, like the people I see everyday who are so scared of everything and the girls an boys who have never even spoken to each other, just looked from a great distance.
But I haven’t thought about it that much.
I want to speak, to tell everyone in this room, staring at me with shock, not to be afraid anymore. To just let go and maybe do some rebelling of their own. I want to say, “Take my lead; continue after me once I’m dragged away.”
But I can’t.
The words don’t come. I’m silent. But my standing, it’s suicide. It speaks for more than I could ever hope to convey with letters, and it burns me. Lights my clothes on fire, scorches them from my body until I’m naked, right in front of the entire world. Eyes stare at me, brains are blank with confusion at something they’re never thought of before or seen. And then the tears start pouring down my face. Big, plump drops rolling down my cheeks, stuffing themselves into my mouth. I feel so pitiful. So, so pitiful.
The people at my feet move as if I’m dangerous, scuttling away on knees. Whimpers meet my ears from various points in the room, accompanied by short prayers and whispers to be saved. I just stare straight forward, entire body quivering with the thought of what will happen next. The Officials in the back of the room flit around like nervous beetles in their shiny black suits. They don’t know what they’re doing. They don’t know what to do with me. What am I doing?
Hands grab me, pulling my arms behind me and handcuffing me. The hands are rough, tugging at me, yanking me back. I’m pulled off my feet. They slide out from underneath me. I’m so weak. My tears run wild. What is wrong with me?
I remember a girl, years ago, from our Dorm, with blonde hair and a strong nose that refused to read Uncle’s books and do Uncle’s work. She sat in Lessons with her hands dead in her lap and smiled straight forward. She didn’t say anything. She just sat. And when Teacher called the Officials, fear burning in his eyes, they just marched in and pulled her like a rag doll from her desk, and she let them drag her out. But she said something to the girl next to her that stuck to me like glue.
She said, “Please don’t give up, just because of me.”
I didn’t know what that meant at the time, and I don’t know what it means now.
But I suddenly find the words spilling from my lips, burning my tongue and my chin like acid, tumbling down onto the tiled floor and spreading out through the entire room, touching the soles of boots, and the bottoms of legs.
“Don’t give up,” I choke out. “Please don’t give up.” In that second, my eyes fill the sight of widening eyes and I wonder if they remember the girl with the strong nose and sweet smile.
And then, with a yank that almost feels like it tugs my arms out of their sockets, I’m pulled out of the door.
I’m a sack of meat. An animal. I’m dragged and pulled and yanked. There are three of them. Two to murder my spirit. One to watch them do it.
Except I won’t let them. I won’t give in that easy.
I keep up the fight, flailing my legs around, trying to catch them with the tips of my boots. And I do, a few times, but mostly they figure out how to dodge the blows. But I guess I get too wild for them, because something hits the back of my head, and the darkness closes in on me like a pack of hungry wolves.

I wake up in an interrogation room, tied to a chair by my wrists and ankles. One of the Officials from my capture sits across from me, lips twitching horribly.
His hair is greasy and short. He’s balding, skinny as a stick. But he still acts like he’s a big shot.
The lights are terrible; bright fluorescents splutter and shake, making a buzzing sound. Flies and moths flock to the glow. The Official’s face is ighlighted, then cast in shadow.
He wants me to confess that I hate Uncle; that I’ve been plotting to kill him. Highlight.
I promise that I only dislike the system.
He assures me that I want murder on my head. Shadow.
With a sigh, I swear that I wouldn’t have the guts.
Raising an eyebrow, the Official tells me that I shouldn’t lie, especially in a situation like this. Highlight.
I insist that I’m not lying.
Everything goes black again.
Shadow.

Cold water pours down my back. I’m in a tiny room with rubber floors and a drain in the center, right below my feet. My mouth opens under the downpour and I drink, relishing the way the water feels on my tongue. Too much crawls down my throat, and I cough, bending at the waist.
Abruptly, the ice shuts off, and I’m left shivering. A woman throws open the door of the tiny space and tosses me a towel, which I take and wrap around my dignity. The fabric is hideously scratchy.
She beckons me out and waits impatiently while I dry off.
I want to ask her some questions, but I doubt she would answer. My head is pounding. Spots linger on the sides of my vision.
The woman passes me a gray, sack-like thing, which she informs me, is my clothes from now on.
I slide it over my head. Just like the towel, it scratches at my skin. Except it reeks of sweat and dirt.
She calls over her shoulder.
The Official comes in and grabs my arm, his smile twisted.
Once again, I can’t see.

Wind blows at my hair.
I open my eyes and find myself surrounded by gray. I’m staring at the ceiling. Where is the wind coming from?
I cough loudly, rolling over on my side, and curling up in a ball. The crown of my head feels warm.
A voice floats down on top of me, filled with concern and apprehension.
“Are you okay?”
A boy with a husky whisper.
I roll onto my stomach and stare at him, making out small features in the dark. It must have been his breath blowing on my hair.
“Not really,” I reply.
He reaches his hand through the bars. We’re in cells. Suddenly everything makes sense. I’m in prison. I’m actually in prison. My lungs tighten considerably. How could I possibly be in prison? It’s not possible. This place is the source of our nightmares. It’s where those people that are most feared are sent, to hide from the safe forever. Everything is spinning. I throw my arm over my face, and try to breathe evenly in my constricted chest. It hurts. Everything hurts.
“My name is Xavier,” the boy whispers. He pauses, and continues in an understanding tone, “The pain wears off, I promise. It goes with the shock.”
“Thank you.” I try to say it strong, but it comes out in a choke. “I’m Claire.”
“Nice to meet you.”

Over the next few years, I learn a few things about Xavier.

1. He doesn’t resent the fact that he’s in jail. He resents that he can't see the sun.
2. The reason he’s here is because he punched an Official in the gut when he tried to take away Xavier’s friend, who hadn’t done a thing.
3. Being imprisoned only makes him hate Uncle more.

And basically, those are the same about me, and about the rest of the people here. If we could only have liberty, and if we could only go outside, look around, and see the world, then maybe, just maybe we wouldn’t be so “dangerous”.
If there’s anything being here has taught me, it’s that people need to at least feel like they’re free. And when they feel that way, there are a lot less problems as compared to when people feel imprisoned, even if they’re not.
Last edited by adi on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
we
a c c e p t
the love we think we
d e s e r v e.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:11 am
View Likes
Trikky says...

Nice beginning. It's hard to say much about it so far, because there's so little to talk about. One thing I'm wondering though: how does Xavier know two years have gone by if he can't see the sun?

I'm not sure whether I like or dislike all the one-sentence paragraphs. It kind of works because this would be a disjointed memory because of how often the heroine loses consciousness, but it's a little distracting. I'm hoping it gets a little denser in the next chapter to even it out.

Technically, it's very good. I didn't see any spelling or grammar mistakes (probably because it's the third draft lol).

It's nice, but it's not really anything new so far. It's /really/ close to the Shadow Children series, and that makes me nervous, because you want your story to be different (right?).

Anyway, your style is very clear and dynamic, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Don't give up!
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:33 pm
View Likes
BeckFletch. says...

Hey there,

I really liked this. It has the potential to be something great. I haven't read the Shadow Children series so I wouldn't know if the were similar or not. Sorry I don't have time to write more. It's 11.30 and i have to go watch the fireworks that mark the new year. I just wanted to say that this really captivated me and I would love to read more of it.

Keep it up.

Beck xx
'The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, The more I will respect myself' - Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:44 pm
Kyuubi says...

I liked the beginning a lot. Like BeckFletch said, it does have potential. Although, I would have liked to have seen the first draft so I can see where it was weak but this is good nonetheless. I am VERY interesed in seeing where this is going as a story. Well done and I hope you can continue to write this or any other story.
"So, I was thinking, I've always wanted to ride a TaunTaun."
"Ummmm....I asked you answer the math problem on the board."
"No you didn't."
"Yes I did."
"Yeah well, that's your opinion."...............A conversation between my teacher and I.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:22 am
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

Wow. Really amazing. This was such a strong voice. It drew me in. I'm a fan of this style of story and you are really pulling it off marvelously.

*blinks* You're thirteen? I didn't notice your age until I finished reading the story. Jeez... I'm filled with major jealousness. Seriously...

A few typos I noticed:

I think you mean "dystopian" in your author's note, not "dystpian".

how to doge the blows.

"dodge"

Really the only thing that bothered me in this story was the way you capitalized "Enemy", "Teacher" and the like. That sort of irks me, considering we never capitalize words like that in real life, even if they are really important. We don't say "all the Presidents" or "all the Popes", even though they are important authority figures. We capitalize them when they are used as titles for a specific person, but overall, we leave them capitalized. I understand that by capitalizing them, you are setting them off as special, thus letting us know these are not ordinary teachers/enemies/etc. But it just really bothers me, as I have seen a similar tactic done in so many other stories of the science fiction and fantasy slant. Any way to fix that? Another word or method you could use? If not, don't worry about it too much. I think it may be mostly a personal thing.

I really like this. Really like it. I want to see where this story is going and what the characters are going to do. Would you PM when you post more?

*thumbs up* Keep up the good work. I'm hooked.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:47 am
View Likes
Squall says...

Hello Adi.

Teacher tells us this every single day. And I’ve always listened to the warnings. I’ve absorbed it.

You sure that he tells the class this everyday? I think he would get fed of it eventually.

Yet a seed, a dangerous, deadly seed nestled itself in the very back of my brain and prodded and poked me every single time those warnings were issued, and when I was on my own, it would grow, and snake, and twist itself into the cracks of my head, into the vulnerable parts, and reside there. Digging and slithering and whispering its name. Its horrible, terrible, dangerous, deadly name.

But haven't you already established this idea earlier in the piece? Why repeat yourself?

Overall impressions:

I personally did not like this piece. The narrator's voice is pretentious and the issues/questions that the narrator expresses are often left unanswered/unexplored. And why is this in science fiction? I don't see any sci fi elements to it at all.

1)Why would a person suddenly break out and do something strange?

You tend to waffle about this idea quite a bit in your piece, yet you haven't really shown to the audience as to why that is so. What inner/external conflicts is the narrator facing that would influence her to do that? This is never shown in the piece. The examples that give of this doesn't explain anything at all. For example: Why would she burn her clothes like that all of a sudden?

2)Words can hurt?

Instead of directly stating it, use more subtle ways to express this to "hint" for meaning. By doing that, you are suggesting meaning by making the reader delve between the lines to work for understanding. Directly stating it leaves the reader with nothing to search for and so they will be repulsed by this piece. Also, the idea itself is actually not that commonly known to the target audience since we would often make verbal jokes and insults to one another without really considering the harmful effects of it. So not only should you express this in a more subtle manner, but to also elaborate and explain as to why it is hurtful so that the audience can understand this better. I suggest doing some research regarding this (In some anti bullying workshops, there is some interesting reasons as to why words hurt more than physical violence).

I think it would also help if you show some aspects of the teacher's teachings and behaviour and what the narrator thought of him (part of the reason why your narrator seems so pretentious is that she talks too much about herself rather than considering others. Being pretentious is not good, because it provides very little scope and insight in your piece. The world isn't centered around one person.)

3)The prison scene

This would be a good time to expand on the character herself. What did she felt like being in the prison? What did the prison smell/look like? What did she think of the other guy? Prisons have quite an emotional influence on a person since they effectively place great limits on a person's will and freedom.

I think that overall, this piece is actually not that bad. It just needs more elaboration and a much wider scope (why is this a fantasy?) to really capture the audience's attention.

Good luck. :D

Andy.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites