z

Young Writers Society

One Word Will Change A Life (Chapter Three)

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:23 pm
DontStopBelieving says...

Samantha:
I jerked awake to the ring of my alarm clock. Another day to act like the last two days didn’t happen. I walked to the kitchen where I put on a pot of coffee. My morning routines started and I tried to get my mind to drift away from the way Seth’s face looked when I told him I didn’t love him. You are the one who ditched me first. All for your precious boyfriend. His words echoed through my mind. How did I ditch him? It didn’t make sense. I was always there for him, even before I met Derek. The pain from yesterday’s events pulsed through my veins. I poured myself a cup of coffee, and shook my head trying to release the thoughts from my mind. As I sat down at the table, my phone buzzed across the chestnut wood.
“Hello.” I answered, “Okay, I’ll meet you there… yes I remember where it’s at… okay, love you too. Bye.” I hung up my phone and sat back in my chair, taking a sip of my coffee.

Derek:
Samantha, her blue eyes penetrate to my soul every time she looks back into mine. Her smile; melts my heart until it is a big pile of mush. Her laugh is contagious, and I cannot wait until we spend forever together. I never want to disappoint her, but life has its own way of showing up at your door step. I want to do everything and anything I can to please her and keep her happy. Samantha is my everything, my queen, my world and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I had called Samantha this morning to see if she wanted to meet me for breakfast at this little Café downtown. I wanted to surprise her with a day planned for just us two. We haven’t had much time together the past few days, with having to tell family and friends the big news. I just want it to be her and me today and no one else.
A dozen roses sat at her place at the round, wood table and suddenly I was nervous. Just thinking about her makes my heart rate go through the roof. She makes me feel like a teenage boy all over again; a hormone raging, crazy in love teenage boy. I do love Samantha, with my whole entire heart. Her fair skin tone, her blue eyes, her pearly white smile, and her angelic voice make me go crazy. She’s beautiful, she’s every thing to me, and she will always be my world.

Samantha:

I walked into the quaint café and spotted Derek sitting in the back corner. A smile spread across his dark skinned face. His blonde hair was spiked up, like always, and he wore the best casual outfit he owned. My heart rate picked up the moment I saw him, and got higher with every step closer I got to the table. I am crazy in love, and I don’t care who knows it.
“Hey Handsome.” I smiled kissing Derek quickly.
“Hey Beautiful.” He smiled back at me.

Derek pulled my chair out for me and then took his seat. I know I need to tell Derek about the past couple days, but I don’t know how to say it; and I sure as heck didn’t want to start off the day with him being mad at me.
“So, how was your night?” Derek asked looking at the menu.
“It was okay, just sat at home.” I said

‘And I talked to Seth, who is madly in love with me. You know I don’t think we should get married right now. My feelings are so jumbled. I don’t know who I love, you or him. I’m sorry Derek, I have to go.’ I thought the words I couldn’t say.

“Is everything okay? You seem distracted.” Derek’s eyes filled with concern.
“Everything is fine.” I lied through my teeth.

‘Everything is not fine, I need to go home. I need a drink or two, and I don’t care if it’s only nine in the morning. I need to go to another country, far away from you and Seth. I need to be alone, I need so many things and no one can give them to me.’ I thought.

I felt like my head was going to explode, I wanted to scream the words ‘I KISSED SETH DANIELS’ at the top of my lungs and pray no one would judge me, a soon to be married woman. I wanted to run out of the café and keep running until my legs couldn’t carry me any farther. I wanted to disappear off the face of the planet. I feel so ashamed, I feel so dirty.
I stared at the dark skinned man in front of me, to whom I’d soon be married. I wanted to have him wrap me in his arms and keep me there forever. I wanted to disappear, just Derek and I. I don’t want to tell Derek, but I know I need to. ‘Just say it you coward, the worst he could do is stop talking to you and call off the wedding.’ One voice inside my head said. ‘He could also be very understanding and you two could talk it out.’ The other voice said.

“Derek, I kissed Seth.” I blurted out.
Derek choked on his water and he just stared at me.

Did I just make a mistake?
If the world is supposed to be so bad, then why am I not complaining?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 am
NightWriter says...

Oooh. You have a good story here. Can't say it's exceedingly original, but good all the same.
I like the way you write, it's good for the genre you're in. Have to say the bit where Derek is talking about how much he loves Samantha is almost a little over-the-top. I mean, to be honest, it's assumably true when it comes to love that people would feel that way, but do we all want to hear that much about it?
I didn't.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what's happening next, so let me know, please!

There weren't any spelling mistakes or what have you that I could pick out, so yahoo for that.

I loved it, well done!

NightWriter x
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 am
ASH1397 says...

Hello there!

Once again another great piece to the puzzle. You are fitting together the intertwining perspectives very nicely, and you have a great flow. I do suggest not jumping the gun then not quite hitting a good climax per chapter, yes you leave room to wonder, but maybe another paragraph or two to let in description and keep the reader on the path that you want them to think, how they should see the story. But work in your wonderful skill of showing, not telling. :) I can tell you've been working on that, and progress is being made!

This has me asking more questions, still, and you are definately keeping me hooked, which is a good thing. :) ahhha. otherwise I noticed few grammatical errors, and things of the sort. Dont be afraid of adding in more detail, my dear! It can make or break a story !

All the luck,
~Ash
And just when the caterpillar thought her life was over, she turned into a beautiful butterfly.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:00 pm
View Likes
DontStopBelieving says...

Hey guys, I just wanted to say thank you for reading this and giving me feedback. It means a lot to me. :D
I am actually going to go through my first three chapters and edit them, put more emotion and description into them, so when I have that finished I will let you guys know.
Thanks again.
-Katie (DontStopBelieving)
If the world is supposed to be so bad, then why am I not complaining?

We do have funerals for the living. They're called birthday parties.
— Jill Biden (fictitiously), Hope Never Dies