z

Young Writers Society

OTSH - EPILOGUE

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:43 am
azntwinz2 says...

Tae Yeon scrambled to tuck in her shirt. Many boxes littered her apartment floor, creating a maze that she zig zagged through clumsily in the dark. Checking the round clock on the wall, she cursed. 7:50, she was going to be late.
Stumbling into her coat, Tae Yeon wrapped the scarf around while simultaneously jamming her foot into a leather boot. Just as she was about to run out of her apartment, she heard the familiar whistle of her cellphone.
“Hello?” Tae Yeon breathed heavily, as she pulled a loose strand of hair away from her mouth.
“It’s me, Mother.” Tae Yeon cleared her throat and sat down on the dusty couch.
“Hey, you’re up early,” she finally managed lamely.
“You know your father doesn’t approve.” Her mother’s voice echoed through the phone sternly.
“Yes, but I worked really hard for this job. The apartment’s much closer to headquarters.”
“Just come home and quit your job. The only way you can help us is by marrying someone appropriate.”
Tae Yeon chuckled softly and said, “Come on Mother, we’ve been through that fiasco already. I know you’re worried, but I’ve got everything handled.”
“Why don’t you want to get married?”
“I do, just not now.”
“Is there someone else?”
“No,” Tae Yeon said, and stared wistfully at the clock. 7:57.
“You can’t win against your father. You know that.” Her mother finally softened her tone as she tried to appease her.
“Mother, I’m not trying to win him. I’m trying to live my own life, and I need both of you to trust me. I’m late. How about this, I’ll come home for dinner tonight. We can talk more then,” Tae Yeon promised.
“Alright,” her mother said sadly and then hung up.
8:00. Damn. Tae Yeon swiftly shut her door and then locked it. Humming a simple tune she had learned from someone, she jogged down the stairs and out the entrance. Snow drifted downward without end and Tae Yeon ducked underneath the canopy marking the bus stop.
“Miss Kim, Miss Kim,” she heard an old voice call from behind her.
“Mr. Park,” Tae Yeon responded to the old, kind looking man who hobbled toward her.
“That book you always ask me about? Came in this morning,” he handed over a wrapped parcel.
“Thank you so much, how much is it?” Tae Yeon asked excitedly as she clutched the item.
“You take it. It belongs to you,” he said. When Tae Yeon protested, he just shook his head and slowly walked back to his own bookstore.
Tae Yeon quickly ripped the brown paper to shreds and stared in anticipation.
The corners were varnished with a gold tint along the edges and an elaborate sword cut through the center. The title, also emblazoned in gold, stated: The Prince of Istanbul.
Her fingers trembled as she opened the cover. The book actually contained two novels, “The Prince of Istanbul” and “Fish or Pig”.
She slowly read through the first page.
This novel is dedicated to the person who believed in me when no one else would.
She scanned the remaining empty space in disappointment. It had been four years after all.
Flipping through the pages listlessly, her finger caught on the penultimate one in particular. In the center was the following code - SH.D.25.Every Year.
The bus groaned to a stop and Tae Yeon rushed to get on. With a sudden thought, she rapidly dug through her shoulder bag. Clutching her phone, she checked the date.
It was December twenty-third, and also the most hopeful day of the year.

Spoiler! :
Hi, for the chance that anyone did read this novel through, thanks so much! Just leave a comment to let me know so I can thank you profusely! :) Any questions/criticisms are welcome!
Please make sure to check out my portfolio! Any comments are immensely desired!

1503 Reviews

Reviews: 1503
Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 am
IcyFlame says...

First off, this is an interesting title for a book. What does it stand for/what does it mean?
I always like stumbling across a prologue, because it means I haven't got lots of the story to catch up on and can actully comment on my understanding of it! But in this case it's the opposite and I've come at the end!
azntwinz2 wrote:Checking the round clock on the wall, she cursedI would use a semi colon here instead. 7:50, she was going to be late.

azntwinz2 wrote:No,” Tae Yeon said, and stared wistfully at the clock. 7:57.
Again, I'd use a semi colon.
azntwinz2 wrote:“Mother, I’m not trying to win against him.
Make sure you don't miss out any words.

That's all in terms of nitpicks although I can't understand why this is a epilogue. If you lengthened it it would be perfect for a chapter. The way you've left off seems as if there would be another book, but seeing as I haven't read the rest I can't really comment.
Congrats on finishing the book!

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:16 pm
mparq says...

Aww. Please, thank me profusely :)

See, it wasn't so bad was it?

So I'm having a little trouble categorizing this piece. You know, reading the first chapter, I never expected an ending like this. How many times have we seen the down-in-the-dumps character meeting an enigmatic type, being offered a mysterious cure and becoming super hero (*cough* Captain America or whatever some girl going into a tower to rescue someone story). So I was fully expecting to see some villain or action-y suspenseful-y type action before the third chapter. I got smacked in the face by life instead :P Yet, I wouldn't call this a "slice-of-life" type of story. No matter how you slice an average person's life, I don't think any of those slices involve picking up a hobo and driving with him to who-knows-where on a dark, snowy night into the mountains. (and staying at a love motel with him and falling in love with him and blah blah)

It was a mature story with relatable life themes. Even though it was short, I thought the two main characters were charming (though, I'm still unsure of the believability of the "barmaid" character). In the middle, the story seemed to be leaning towards a generic romance deal with Won Soo getting warmer and warmer, but I'm kind of glad you ended it the way you did, and I got to see how Tae Yeon grew. I feel pretty satisfied by the ending. Very romantic/independent of you, not bittersweet at all. Glad you stuck with it and finnished. There was only one scene in the whole novella that I didn't like and felt was unnecessary or forced. I'm sure you know which one. Other than that, Congrats! You finished a story and it actually feels complete and readable. Now help me with mine ;)

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:20 am
AngelKnight900 says...

Still sad that this novel is done :/ . This is going to take a few days to get over but don't worry. I will be fine. What I really enjoyed about ur novel was that it was meant to teach people lessons. It was meant to show people the truth behind their own actions and I felt like I learned quite a lot from this short novel. I have always been impressed even from the first chapter. This novel has charisma. At first I was expecting everything to be all mystical and whatnot but it really wasn't. This was very wonderful to read and you have a true talent in writing. This makes me want to look over my work because it looks like I have a lot of work to do. I really enjoyed following you and yet again....can't wait to read the rest of your obviously successful future works. 계속 쓴다. 당신은 정말 재능이 아르 (Keep writing. You are very talented)
True confidence leaves no room for jealousy. When you know your are great, you have no need to hate.
-Nicki Minaj

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins